Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yanks/Sox Game 1

I'm completely biased, and sure, they're on a 6-game losing streak, but I really like the Yankees to beat the Red Sox Friday. You saw tonight how the Red Sox struggle with quality lefties, and Pettite was very good against this lineup at Fenway. The Red Sox really haven't done a whole lot of scoring on the road this year, and I can see them scoring between 1 and 4 runs here.
    But more importantly, this is the first time Matsuzaka has faced a team twice. I think a lot of his early season success is that teams don't really know what to expect from him. Now, seeing him twice in a week, the patient Yankees lineup - which hit him pretty hard the first time around - should have a lot of success in the rematch. If they get to him early, as I suspect, the Yankees can extend to a large lead off the terrible middle relief of the Red Sox.

Yankees -120 is my first 3* play of the year. Good luck gentlemen.

kayvebear
    kayvebear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very confused on this one myself. Don't forget, it is benneficial for a pitcher to learn his batters also - so the reverse of your argument is also true. Sox continuing to win with cold bats, yet yankees cant seem to pull it together. Yankee relief far worse than sox. Not making a play yet but leaning towards red sox.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by kayvebear View Post
    Yankee relief far worse than sox.
    What? The Yankees bullpen is in the top five in baseball, the Red Sox pen is in the lower half.

icsky3
    I'm always broke.
    icsky3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192

stearing away from these sox/yankees series razz. as u saw in the last one anything can happen in these damn games and i'd just rather sit back and watch. I myself would have to lean towards the yankess to win tommorow but like i said who knows. not to mention i will NEVER bet the yanks to beat the sox. ever. ill bet the yanks to win some games but never against the sox. GL to ya tho watch out for ortiz hes due whether its a lefty or not. haha.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whats your thoughts on this total Razz?

I'm thinking this game should be a slug fest, because that seems to be the only way the Yankees might actually win this game IMO.

kayvebear
    kayvebear's Avatar Become A Pro!

you would think that it *should* be a slug fest, but both teams bats have been icy the past couple days,.

Razz

I couldn't touch the total to be honest. I think this is something like 6-2, but if Matsuzaka or Pettite gets knocked out early, it could be something like 9-7.

As objectively as I can say, I think the Yankees win Games 1 and 3 and the Red Sox win Game 2.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pettite is probably the closest thing to an "ace" in pin stripes right now. So if anyone on that staff is gonna put a stop to that losing streak it should be him.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by icsky3 View Post
    stearing away from these sox/yankees series razz. as u saw in the last one anything can happen in these damn games and i'd just rather sit back and watch. I myself would have to lean towards the yankess to win tommorow but like i said who knows. not to mention i will NEVER bet the yanks to beat the sox. ever. ill bet the yanks to win some games but never against the sox. GL to ya tho watch out for ortiz hes due whether its a lefty or not. haha.
    I totally understand. I actually don't mind betting on the Sox to beat the Yanks (but only when I see value), but that's mostly because - while I still cheer for NY - the loss doesn't hurt as bad.

And, I always watch out for Ortiz. If he's 1-35 coming in, he still scares the hell out of me. Manny is the better hitter, and A-Rod and Pujols are better hitters too, but Ortiz is the scariest person to me when I bet against him.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    But more importantly, this is the first time Matsuzaka has faced a team twice. I think a lot of his early season success is that teams don't really know what to expect from him.
    Come on, at least be consistent.

You said about Igawa - and I quote - "The ERA is awful, but that will lower once he becomes accustomed to US hitters."

Now you're saying that Matsuzaka is going to get worse as he gets more accustomed to US hitters.

Care you explain your contradictory reasoning?
    Last edited by tacomax; 04-27-07 at 12:00 AM.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Come on, at least be consistent.

You said about Igawa - and I quote - "The ERA is awful, but that will lower once he becomes accustomed to US hitters."

Now you're saying that Matsuzaka is going to get worse as he gets more accustomed to US hitters.

Care you explain your contradictory reasoning?
    Hmm, perhaps. I think that Matsuzaka and his 7 (or 8, depending on who is counting) pitches are something new to US hitters. Thus, seeing him more and more is helpful.
    Igawa, on the other hand, is more of a traditional US pitcher (the best comparison I have heard is to Jarrod Washburn), and US hitters aren't seeing anything new. But he is seeing something new, as in Japan, he was considered a power pitcher. Many Japanese hitters were overmatched by his fastball. Here, his fastball is only slightly above average, and everyone in the AL can hit a straight fastball. He is going to have to adapt to the American game and the way US hitters approach him - mainly, trying to get hitters out with pitchers other than the fastball.
    Maybe I'm wishful on both accounts, but I honestly believe everything in those two paragraphs.

tacomax

Maybe I'm wishful on both accounts, but I honestly believe everything in those two paragraphs.
    And having your own opinion is perfectly fine.

But I think that Matsuzaka will improve the more he plays. I also think that Igawa will improve the more he plays. However, I just think that Matsuzaka is in a different class to Igawa. Still, we'll see come the end of the season.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    However, I just think that Matsuzaka is in a different class to Igawa.
    As do I. I would be embarassed for any Yankees fan that disagreed. There's a reason Boston paid over $100 million for him.
    Even if both scenarios play out like I typed, and even if the Yankees get him for 7 runs in 4 innings tomorrow (from my lips to God's ears), I am a believer in Matsuzaka, and I would be shocked if Igawa developed into a pitcher at his level. I think he can get close, but he'll never have the same success as Matsuzaka will.
    I do think Matsuzaka will briefly regress as teams see him a second time, and then he will in turn make his own adjustments and become the Red Sox's ace next season.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

this is a repeat of last years series

boston looked red hot and getting money seemed like a deal...but the deal is pettitte -120 at home...rediculous price...

andy held the sox to only 2 runs.... Yankees will win this series...Pettitte game1/Wang game3...

boston only outscored ny 21-17 throwing out the best 3 starters they had vs a little league rotation...

LargeMouthBass
    LargeMouthBass's Avatar Become A Pro!

First game Dice as a dog... Kinda tempting but I think it's better to stay away from this game. It can go either way.

NEP Dynasty
    NEP Dynasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

What? The Yankees bullpen is in the top five in baseball, the Red Sox pen is in the lower half.
    You really are just blind to statistics and facts when it comes to Yankees/Red Sox and this quote just proves that even more. The fact that you say the Red Sox bullpen is in the lower half is comical.

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Red Sox are the better team but with NY on such a long losing streak, Petit on the mound, and the Bo Sox in town, I see this as a big breakout win for the Yanks tonight in da Bronx. I took NYY -1 1/2.

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

rivera's still a question mark as far as being able to close things out
    is jeter still out?

Crayzee

by the way-
    highly unlikely this game gets played tonight

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

yep, i checked the weather too, it seems like it is raining all over the east coast. i wonder how many games are going to be delayed.

maybe we should be talking about west coast games

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by NEP Dynasty View Post
    You really are just blind to statistics and facts when it comes to Yankees/Red Sox and this quote just proves that even more. The fact that you say the Red Sox bullpen is in the lower half is comical.
    What are you talking about? Statistics and facts? Look at the career ERA's of Piniero, Wilson, Timlin, etc. It's horrendous. Sure, the first 10 games of the year their bullpen numbers are nice, but name one reliever you have any confidence in who's last name is anything but Papelbon.

Crayzee

okay-latest info says they probably play tonite

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

I like the Yankees tonight as well. Lets cash it guys.

icsky3
    I'm always broke.

if i do anything at all with this game im going to take the under. dice-k is a champ and he's been working on his game everyday to improve. the same with andy, both these guys are very good pitchers. not to mention the yankees cant hit at home here lately and the bosox cant seem to put up any runs in their away games. 9 seems pretty steep with the pitchers on the mound so im taking the under. GL to everyone.

NEP Dynasty
    NEP Dynasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

What are you talking about? Statistics and facts? Look at the career ERA's of Piniero, Wilson, Timlin, etc. It's horrendous. Sure, the first 10 games of the year their bullpen numbers are nice, but name one reliever you have any confidence in who's last name is anything but Papelbon.
    Honestly, when are you going to see Piniero pitching in an important game for the Red Sox? That idea was quickly shut down the first week of the season. Timlin has been a rock for this team for four years, and I have complete confidence in him. Okajima has showed he is more than capable, and Donnely and Romero are quality relievers. As for Wilson...I don't really know who you are referring to. There is no Wilson I know of in the Red Sox bullpen.

Razz

Mike Timlin is done. I'm sorry, but his career is over. The Red Sox will designate him for assignment before the All-Star break, at which point he will retire. Have you seen him pitch this year? Either he is tipping his pitches, or hitters just love facing him. Every pitch that I have seen him throw that the batter attempted to hit was hit hard. Even his outs are hard outs.
    I actually like Donnelly, and Okajima may turn out OK, I think he has pretty good stuff. But two weeks hasn't showed he's "more than capable" (Just like Sean Henn's hot start doesn't prove to me that he will be someone NY can count on later). I meant Kyle Snyder, I always get him and Kris Wilson confused for some weird reason, probably because they are both terrible. Romero is garbage.
    At best, the Red Sox have one great reliever, two fairly good ones, and a handful of below average ones. To me, that is an average to below-average bullpen.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by NEP Dynasty View Post
    Timlin has been a rock for this team for four years, and I have complete confidence in him.
    Excuse me? He had one very good year for Boston (2005), and the other four seasons he has been mediocre at best.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

I agree, Timlin is all done. It's not just this year, he was a disaster after the All-Star break last year.

But come on, Yanks pen top 5 in baseball? How many saves do the Yankees have this season?

I do think Rivera will be fine, but at this point in his career there isn't a comparison between him and Papelbon. Mo is still one of the better closers, but I don't think he is in the elite class with Papelbon, Nathan etc. Proctor is solid, but the fact he pitches virtually every day only proves that Torre doesn't have confidence in the others.

The Sox may only have 3 solid options in Papelbon, Okajima, and Donnelly, but if Beckett, Schilling, Matsuzaka and, to a lesser extent Wakefield, continue to go 7+ then the pen isn't in bad shape at all. Neither bullpen is elite, but there certainly isn't as big a discrepancy between the two as you suggested.

icsky3
    I'm always broke.

Okajima is going to be the next very good closer for the sox. i love em. he can fan em. very fun guy to watch pitch as well. both bullpens are in the bottom half or maybe right there in the middle. i agree with u rjt there isn't much difference of talent between the two. except for the starters muahhaha.
    Last edited by icsky3; 04-27-07 at 06:01 PM. Reason: tyyypos.

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by icsky3 View Post
    Okajima is going to be the next very good closer for the sox.
    Where's Papelbon going?

Okajima has done a nice job so far, but he doesn't have the stuff to be a closer.

tacomax

Rivera

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Really surprised by this result tonight.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Pettite blew this game for the Yankees. Giving away a 2 run lead in the next half inning after the Yanks put up a 4 spot on Dice in the 4th.

If they don't get run support, like 7 to 8 runs a game, Yankees are in trouble.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Timlin may very well be finished, he is after all 41. But, he has very solid career #'s. 3.57 era in 16 seasons.
    Last edited by durito; 04-27-07 at 11:48 PM.

rjt721

Jeff Karstens going tomorrow for the Yankees. It might keep getting worse for NY.

12 Last