TBD
    • Wednesday, Oct. 15
      *Baltimore at Kansas City
    • Friday, Oct. 17
      *Kansas City at Baltimore

2014 PITCHING COMPARISONS

2015 HITTING COMPARISONS

UMPIRES
    I see Cowboy Joe West is the crew chief.
    That's going to make this very interesting series even more entertaining.

Brian Gorman, Marvin Hudson, Dan Iassogna, Ron Kulpa, Tim Timmons and Mark Wegner comprise West's crew. Iassogna will be the replay official for the first two games, and he will swap spots with Timmons starting with Game 3.

Umpire Todd Tichenor will assist the designated replay officials in New York.

When the series line was first announced I posted it in a thread, one of the posters responded, that's a great line if you are on Baltimore. I agreed, I thought the series price was going to open around 160, did not, it opened at 140, making Baltimore affordable to the little guy if he wanted to bet the Orioles. Personally I'm leaning Kansas City, but at +120 I think I am getting short changed, and as of today, Friday morning the series line dropped 5 cents to +115/-135.

I'm hearing some "Balty large talk", personally speaking this series can go either way, I'm going to make cases for both sides as to how they can win this. Just like the Oakland/KC Royal play in wild card game, this series in my opinion is not an "all in" play or a 5* bomb play, both teams have weapons that can win this.

I visited all the usual projection and simulation sites out here in cyberland, and for the most part it's O's in six games, Royals in seven games, a few six games for Royals, not to many of those, but the consensus is Orioles have a slight advantage. I lean on ZIP'S in February when I gather my information for the upcoming season preparing for the fantasy draft, and ZIP's has Baltimore with a 54 or so percent chance of winning this series. But that is with Guthrie starting for the Royals in game three, and Yost is not committing game 3 to Guthrie (yet). Without Guthrie (Duffy) in game 3, that projection becomes a pick 'em for the series.

Let's break this down.

Two totally different teams and styles. Orioles have a huge edge when it comes to power hitting, Royals have huge edge when it comes to creating runs with speed. Baltimore's best chance to win this is to keep the road runners off the bases, that is Kansas City does, they run. They just don't have speed, they have disruptive speed, we have seen this all now.

Found and interesting tidbit regarding Orioles game 1 starter, Chris Tillman delivers the ball to the plate the quickest out of any other American League starter, making it just that more difficult to steal off of him. He pitches the ball, receives the ball from that catcher, and just pitches it right back again. That'll help the O's in game one as a) Tillman because of his delivery is difficult to steal off of, b) O's catcher Caleb Joseph has a rifle for an arm. Because Tillman is a quick pitch artist, would be base stealer are only 2 for 13 off of him and that is a mind numbing statistic. However, the Oriole bullpen does yield a lot of stolen bases, starters are stingy in that department.

That's the key in game 1 for Baltimore in game 1. Tillman to keep the speed guys off the bases, Royals philosophy is put the ball in play, force the defense to hurry an error, get on that way, and reek havoc on the base paths. What is the catch phrase coined by Lorenzo Cain "that what speed do".

One more thing to consider, Hosmer looks like he's found his long ball stroke, if KC gets hot with the long ball (remember he did hit 19 homers his rookie year and 17 last year, Gordon has hit 20 or more HR's twice, and 19 this year, Butler has hit 29 in 2012, so it's not like KC does not have power hitters) but keep them off the bases is the way to beat them.

Conversly, KC hast to keep Baltimore in the park. Nelson Cruz has been a terror lately.
    Adam Jones too. The two big factors in the series is Cruz and Jones, of course there's Markakis, and Hardy and the rest, but the middle of the order is key. Cruz, you just have to contain him, Adam Jones is a little easier. Thing with AJ is he never met a pitch he did not like. Start Jones off outside off the plate, make him show you he's going to be patient (which he is not) keep feeding him crap away if Jones keeps fishing, that's the way I'd work to him.

Check out Cruz versus Vargas lifetime.
    CAREER STATISTICS VS. KANSAS CITY ROYALS PITCHERS
    PITCHER AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Wade Davis 7 1 0 0 1 3 0 3 0.143 0.143 0.571 0.714
    Danny Duffy 5 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0.2 0.2 0.2 0.4
    Jeremy Guthrie 24 6 1 0 0 6 3 3 0.25 0.31 0.292 0.602
    Kelvin Herrera 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0
    Greg Holland 6 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0.167 0.167 0.167 0.333
    James Shields 21 4 0 0 1 3 0 6 0.19 0.227 0.333 0.561
    Jason Vargas 30 10 2 0 4 8 7 7 0.333 0.462 0.8 1.262
    Yordano Ventura 6 1 0 0 1 2 0 3 0.167 0.286 0.667 0.952
    Totals 139 29 5 0 8 29 13 42 0.209 0.298 0.417 0.715

I can go on all afternoon, making a case for either side.

Managers.
    Big edge to Baltimore and Showalter, personally I think he's over the top anal, but you have to give him
    the respect he deserves, he's a numbers junkie, beyond prepared, has the next move and the move after that planned out ahead of time, one step ahead of the opposing manager, or in this case, fourteen step ahead of Ned Yost from the Royals, whose moves sometimes leaves me speechless.

Big Edge: Baltimore.

Speed
    Power (see chart - enough said)

Compare & Contrast

Royals Orioles
    HR 95 211
    HR Rank Last 1st
    SB 153 44
    SB Rank 1st Last

Starting pitching
    Slight edge to Shields, Ventura over Tillman and Norris

Relief Pitching
    Baltimore's relievers get overlooked, very underrated, very dependable, but Herrera to Wade Davis to Holland was the best in the AL this year.
    Edge (not a very big edge) Kansas City

Defense
    Baltimore has a better defensive infield with Machado at third and Davis at first, but Pearce isn't bad with the glove, and Schoop has a cannon of an arm. Orioles have a good defense in the infield, KC is better.
    Joseph is a very good catcher, Perez has a better arm and plays better defense, but don't sell Joseph short.
    In the outfield, it's no contest, KC has one of the best outfield units I've seen in the past 20 years.
    And that's not selling Markakis short, he plays terrific right field, Jones can get it too, but still no contest.
    Baltimore has a solid defense, but KC has a better all around defense.
    Edge: KC
    Home Field
    Baltimore 4-3

REGULAR SEASON SERIES

Royals won 4-3

Apr 25, 2014 Royals 5, Orioles 0
    Apr 26, 2014 Royals 2, Orioles 3
    Apr 27, 2014 Royals 9, Orioles 3
    May 15, 2014 Orioles 2, Royals 1
    May 16, 2014 Orioles 4, Royals 0
    May 17, 2014 Orioles 0, Royals 1
    May 18, 2014 Orioles 6, Royals 8

This is the way Zips sees it

Series recap: On paper, the Royals and Orioles share a lot of similarities. Both teams have solid starting pitching and top bullpens, an aggressive approach at the plate and have been absent from the World Series since the '80s. The Orioles' advantage in the projections comes down to their power advantage, the extra home game and slightly more dependable Nos. 3 and 4 starters. In the end, what it will come down to is whether Kansas City pitchers can control the Orioles' powerful lineup. In a tight series, ZiPS has steamed crabs over barbecue in seven.

This is the way I see it

Very close series, could be one for the ages, and could be one of the most entertaining series ever.
    4-3 Royals.

If you like Baltimore, the price is not astronmicalat 4 to 3, I am wondering why Baltimore seems to be most bettors choice opening at -140 and getting knocked down to -135 myself, but Vegas and offshore is making Baltimore affordable to the small timer, and even though I feel like I am getting short changed at +115, I'm going to take KC at plus 115 very small for the series.

I am laying off the side, but I really like the under 7 here in game 1, I think Tillman keeps KC batters off balanced, and on the other side, I think James Shields pitches like he did last week and keeps Baltimore in the park.

Series KC +115 for 1.5*
    Game 1 total under 7 for 3*

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-13-15 at 02:23 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ra77er, and nocturnal012

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

Now THAT'S a preview! Too bad the weather looks like a spoiler for tonight. If its a rainout, do you its still Shields/Tillman tomorrow?

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

thanks nash

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I think the best bet is going to be Monday with Orioles ML for Game 3 in Kansas City.

Chen should be about -120 in this spot against Vargas.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Quote Originally Posted by klemopixx View Post
    Now THAT'S a preview! Too bad the weather looks like a spoiler for tonight. If its a rainout, do you its still Shields/Tillman tomorrow?
    yes

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    I think the best bet is going to be Monday with Orioles ML for Game 3 in Kansas City.

The bet is Ventura over Norris in game 2, that is the most favorable matchup for KC

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

I'm hearing now it might be Duffy for game 3

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

like royals game #1

Orioles to advance

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by innovation View Post
    like royals game #1

Orioles to advance
    I'm hearing a lot of that.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

I am on the O's game #1 and for the series. A lot of emotion from KC there last two series and I think Balty will be playing a little more 'loose'. For the first time the pressure is actually on KC, they weren't expected to be here and now all of a sudden people are talking WS.

KC's outfield took so many hits away last series, and while they are great defenders, that trend cannot continue. KC's speed is not THAT disruptive (even though it felt that way last series), they average less than a SB per game.

Baltimore has looked very good all year while KC has been hot and cold. I think KC goes cold here and the O's get it done in 5 or 6 games.

stevenash

^
    KC has won 7 walk offs this year on speed alone.

This is a tremendous read from six weeks ago, amazing piece on KC

http://grantland.com/features/kansas...playoff-chase/

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Helluva writeup Nash

Be honest with ya I don't think I'll have a wager on any game this series, just gonna watch this one and enjoy it. I'll root for an Under for ya in game 1.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

If KC has a inkling of advanced scouting and Nost don't shit the bed I see KC winning the series. I have done some additional studying since i recently shared my thoughts with you. It appears we are in agreement on many things. Adam Jones looks like 2-24 candidate with 8 K's. Cruz as well except he will take walks. It really shapes up to buckle down on Cruz and approach him like you always have him with an 0-2 count. If KC has any intelligence somebody other than Cruz will be beating them this series. I like the Baltimore team and they have overachieved and overcome more than most teams in recent memory but I think the music stops here. Would feel even better about it if the Showalter was managing the Royals instead of the Orioles. That would be very strong play! It's hard to account or handicap for the biggest edge in this series being in the dugout rather than the players competing on the field, but that is what we have here.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Adam Jones is one of those players that I cringe when I see play. He has more gifts than anybody in this series. One of those players you see that you know could be so much better if he had ANY brains. Almost a decade in the show and has the strike zone discipline of a latin player that just got off the island. All that said he still puts up better numbers than the vast majority of the league. All star living off talent along that should be a generational player.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    The bet is Ventura over Norris in game 2, that is the most favorable matchup for KC
    i agree totally. on balty today but like kc a lot in gm 2..

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Nice work steve

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

After reading a lot about the game and I concur that the best play is the under 7. I posted on BLS thread Tillman is arguably the best RHP at containing base runners and has a very quick delivery to the plate.

Problem with Tillman is leaves a lot of shit up and Royals love to feast on that. I lean KC as a side and I'm very nervous about laying an under
    7 at camden yards where one meatball upstairs can make a routine flyball on 90% of the parks become a 3 run shot.

About your analysis on the series I completely agree and even though you are absolutely on point about Showalter being a way better manager, I think oddsmakers are either disregarding that completely of begging for Balty money. Probably the latter one.

I will probably go small on KC and the under. Whenever Vargas pitches though I will be pounding the fukk out of Balty and their TT over. Angels let him get away with a lot of crap in the ALDS and Orioles surely won't.

stevenash

(click player for stats)

Orioles
    Lineup 10/10
    8:07 EST
    KC:James Shields(R) (14-8, 3.21)

LINE: BAL -115 O/U: 7
    Nick Markakis(L) RF
    Alejandro De Aza(L) LF
    Adam Jones(R) CF
    Nelson Cruz(R) DH
    Steve Pearce(R) 1B
    J.J. Hardy(R) SS
    Ryan Flaherty(L) 3B
    Nick Hundley(R) C
    Jonathan Schoop(R) 2B

Royals
    Lineup 10/10
    8:07 EST
    KC:James Shields(R) (14-8, 3.21)

LINE: BAL -115 O/U: 7
    Alcides Escobar(R) SS
    Norichika Aoki(L) RF
    Lorenzo Cain(R) CF
    Eric Hosmer(L) 1B
    Billy Butler(R) DH
    Alex Gordon(L) LF
    Salvador Perez(R) C
    Omar Infante(R) 2B
    Mike Moustakas(L) 3B

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would think we're looking at a 5–2, 5–3 game tonight in favor of the Orioles

BadLuckSanta
    BadLuckSanta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19889

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    After reading a lot about the game and I concur that the best play is the under 7. I posted on BLS thread Tillman is arguably the best RHP at containing base runners and has a very quick delivery to the plate.
    Hundley starting behind the plate for Orioles tonight; he's only caught 19% of runners stealing base.
    Royals should be jumping for joy.

Pauulzcappin

Quote Originally Posted by BadLuckSanta View Post
    Hundley starting behind the plate for Orioles tonight; he's only caught 19% of runners stealing base.
    good info, thought joseph was starting

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by BadLuckSanta View Post
    Holy crap, it better rain like a mo-fo and water down the infield, because KC should run like thieves on Hundley.
    It's obvious Buck wants Hundley's stick in the lineup and has confidence Tillman keeps KC's rabbits off the basepaths.

stevenash

Escobar with the stick!

Pauulzcappin

nasher. this ballpark is a joke. how the fukk does this ball get out

BadLuckSanta

Let's goo

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    nasher. this ballpark is a joke. how the fukk does this ball get out
    By hitting the ball really, really hard.

Pauulzcappin

By hitting the ball really, really hard.
    routine flyball on most parks

come on

BadLuckSanta

Fk ya

stevenash

Fk ya indeed.
    And Big Game knows what to do with a 4-0 lead.

Loving it.

Tommy Karate
    Update your status
    Tommy Karate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12940

Fk ya indeed.
    And Big Game knows what to do with a 4-0 lead.

Loving it.
    are you a KC fan?

that would be the only reason why you'd be loving it...

stevenash

^
    I'm a money fan, and KC this season has made me major bank

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

wow what a catch

stevenash

Best outfield defense I've ever seen.

Team of destiny baby

Tommy Karate
    Update your status
    Tommy Karate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12940

^
    I'm a money fan, and KC this season has made me major bank
    what are you talking about man...

you have 3u on under and 1u on kc for the series....unless i missed a buyback post or you missed a 0 on your kc play.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by innovation View Post
    like royals game #1

Orioles to advance
    yep.

12 Last