PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!
    PickoMoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 919

Why? Why? Why??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is everyone calling THE WILDCARD GAME the PLAYOFFs? IT'S NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has to be my biggest baseball pet peeve!!! "Kansas City is playing their first playoff game in 29 years!" No they're not! They are playing a game to decide the WILDCARD and then get into the playoffs!

Am I the only one that feels this way?

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

I see what you're saying, but it really bothers you THAT much to be your biggest baseball bet peeve tho?

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    I see what you're saying, but it really bothers you THAT much to be your biggest baseball bet peeve tho?
    Yup. I don't have any other baseball pet peeves lol

RavensFan2k3

LOL Well given your sentiments, do you think KC makes the playoffs or no?

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    LOL Well given your sentiments, do you think KC makes the playoffs or no?
    Yes. I think KC is hitting much better ATM and they have the momentum right now. OAK limped into the this game and to me Lester is the only thing standing in KC's way right now.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13158

Quote Originally Posted by PickoMoff View Post
    Why is everyone calling THE WILDCARD GAME the PLAYOFFs? IT'S NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has to be my biggest baseball pet peeve!!! "Kansas City is playing their first playoff game in 29 years!" No they're not! They are playing a game to decide the WILDCARD and then get into the playoffs!

Get a life man.

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Get a life man.

BeanTownClown88
    BeanTownClown88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4131

This is KC's first post season game in 29 years...this counts as post season as we're now playing games after 162

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by BeanTownClown88 View Post
    This is KC's first post season game in 29 years...this counts as post season as we're now playing games after 162
    So what you're saying is, if there was a game 163 to decide the division then that would be considered playoff as well?

CHIB
    CHIB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

So what you're saying is, if there was a game 163 to decide the division then that would be considered playoff as well?
    Yes. youre just as smart as your avatar.

simmy17
    simmy17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3230

After 29 years as a royals fan without the play offs ill clutch at any straw tonight's game is a play off game

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIB View Post
    It's the same thing though. Game 163 to decide the division title or game 163 to decide the wildcard team. So how is it a "playoff game"? How are the teams that are playing to decide who is the wildcard team a playoff game?

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by simmy17 View Post
    After 29 years as a royals fan without the play offs ill clutch at any straw tonight's game is a play off game
    lol

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13158

Quote Originally Posted by CHIB View Post
    Where the hell did this Goof come from.LOL. haven't seen him all year (pick...)

PorkChop
    PorkChop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Agreed. It's more of a one game play in than anything.

Id call it a wild card if it was a best of five. But a one game to advance to divisional, should not be considered "Wild card playoffs"

Saying that. Happy to have it today

BeanTownClown88

If this was Sunday and this game was taking place as the other teams were wrapping up the season, I'd call it regular season game.

The fact that the rest of the teams in the league are calling today "Off season" that must mean tonight is "Post Season"..its semantics really

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by BeanTownClown88 View Post
    If this was Sunday and this game was taking place as the other teams were wrapping up the season, I'd call it regular season game.

The fact that the rest of the teams in the league are calling today "Off season" that must mean tonight is "Post Season"..its semantics really
    I said "playoffs".

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

This is a "playoff game" winner continues to play the Angels. You have to win. How is this not a playoff game.

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    This is a "playoff game" winner continues to play the Angels. You have to win. How is this not a playoff game.
    And again I repeat: So what you're saying is, if there was a game 163 to decide the division then that would be considered playoff as well? A playoff to decide the division? Like a playoff to decide the wildcard?

BeanTownClown88

So it's Post Season and this is a PLay IN! Winner gets in

tb1984
    tb1984's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1083

What is your definition of "Playoffs"?

From the Wikipedia:

The playoffs, postseason, or finals of a sports league are a competition played after the regular season by the top competitors to determine the league champion or a similar accolade. Depending on the league, the playoffs may be either a single game, a series of games, or a tournament, and may use a single-eliminationsystem or one of several other different playoff formats. Playoff, in regard to international fixtures, is to qualify or progress to the next round of a competition or tournament.
    In team sports in the U.S. and Canada, the vast distances and consequent burdens on cross-country travel have led to regional divisions of teams. Generally, during the regular season, teams play more games in their division than outside it, but the league's best teams might not play against each other in the regular season. Therefore, in the postseason a playoff series is organized. Any group-winning team is eligible to participate, and as playoffs became more popular they were expanded to include second- or even lower-placed teams – the term "wild card" refers to these teams.

RavensFan2k3

I guess its similar to that game in NCAA Bball to determine the 64th team. I just dont understand why its such a big deal. Its a post season game, win or go home. People call that a playoff game. So what?

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by tb1984 View Post
    What is your definition of "Playoffs"?

From the Wikipedia:

The playoffs, postseason, or finals of a sports league are a competition played after the regular season by the top competitors to determine the league champion or a similar accolade. Depending on the league, the playoffs may be either a single game, a series of games, or a tournament, and may use a single-eliminationsystem or one of several other different playoff formats. Playoff, in regard to international fixtures, is to qualify or progress to the next round of a competition or tournament.
    In team sports in the U.S. and Canada, the vast distances and consequent burdens on cross-country travel have led to regional divisions of teams. Generally, during the regular season, teams play more games in their division than outside it, but the league's best teams might not play against each other in the regular season. Therefore, in the postseason a playoff series is organized. Any group-winning team is eligible to participate, and as playoffs became more popular they were expanded to include second- or even lower-placed teams – the term "wild card" refers to these teams.

Nope! Not buying this either! That definition is a generalization of all sports "playoffs". MLB "Playoffs" are not ONE GAME like football.
    It's not the playoffs! It's a game 163 to decide the wildcard team that goes to the playoffs!

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Kanye's a fukkin \*\*\*\*\*\*. Suburban hip hop.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

I hate this game