TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

MLB: Wagering With Listing Pitchers/Action - What Is The Point?

Personally, I don't really understand why vegas gives you 2 options when listing pitchers or do you just want action?

Here's my beef with this... when I was a young gambler... let me give you an example of a story...

Let's say Randy Johnson in his prime was coming back from an injury and you had inside information that he was going to start... but the line was already up for some other pitcher at -130. But you knew if Johnson got the start the line would be -180. You quickly select Arizona (Action) no matter who throws at -130. Which means... doesn't matter who's listed... you have action.

Then, game time comes... your info was right on... and Randy Johnson is starting. Vegas quickly removes the former starting pitcher... and now lists Randy Johnson... with a new line. -180. You're all excited because you though you had "ACTION" no matter what.

Come to find out... when you have "ACTION" vegas is still allowed to take your initial wager and adjust your risk amount accordingly with the "new opening line" and then if you win... pay you accordingly.

Maybe I'm one blind fuk who doesn't really understand any secondary reasons for this. But why in the fuk do we have ACTION and LISTED PITCHERS. When honestly... it doesn't give you an advantage what so ever? It is the stupidest rule ever. The way the rule is set up you'd be a dumb fuk to ever go ACTION on any MLB game. Listed Pitcher always protects you. But Action never protects you.

Dumbest wagering rule in vegas ever.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It works both ways
    I bet action every play
    frustrating when picking a winner and its no action because your pitcher is scratched

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

Action doesnt guarantee you to keep that line, it guarantees you to keep your wager no matter who is pitching. But with listed, your play would be canceled if the pitcher is changed...am I understanding this right?

I could be wrong, because I never bet action.

aaronsaight
    aaronsaight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Can you ask for action or listed at the window? I have never been asked, it's just always action.

aaronsaight
    aaronsaight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Also I didn't know they change the odds of your ticket if the SP changes that's pretty shitty

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Action doesnt guarantee you to keep that line, it guarantees you to keep your wager no matter who is pitching. But with listed, your play would be canceled if the pitcher is changed...am I understanding this right?

I could be wrong, because I never bet action.
    Exactly 100% correct.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by aaronsaight View Post
    Also I didn't know they change the odds of your ticket if the SP changes that's pretty shitty
    It's OK since you should know the rule beforehand. What is not OK is when books change the line to some inflated number claiming "market average" when the new line is SUPPOSED to be the new opening line at the book you wagered at after the change.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

'Listed' 99% of the time

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post

It's OK since you should know the rule beforehand. What is not OK is when books change the line to some inflated number claiming "market average" when the new line is SUPPOSED to be the new opening line at the book you wagered at after the change.
    True that. That's why listed and action throughout the depths of time... doesn't make any sense to me. You survey any non-gambler who understand sports... but doesn't understand wagering... and you explain action and listed to them. They would tell you... oh I would take Arizona at -130 if I knew Randy Johnson was throwing the next day easily. Not one person understood the true definition of LISTED and ACTION. I got burned on this 12 years ago or so. Thought I won a boat load of money. It was back when Pedro Martinez came back from an injury and the books didn't think he'd be in the rotation.

It is absolutely the dumbest MLB wagering rule of all time. And I want to know why it was made. Has to be a story about some dude hammering books years ago that used MLB to his advantage before this rule was made. It is just one dumb rule. Zero advantage unless you take LISTED. And ZERO advantage if you get inside information on a great pitcher coming back from an injury.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

The rule exist to appease all betters. Nothing worse than backing a team/pitcher then discovering the pitcher was scratched & you're stuck with the bet. Obviously that's why listed pitchers was put into place so the better can have the bet only if the listed pitcher goes.
    But, sometimes people don't really care who's pitching & are just betting the team & don't need listed pitchers. Could be a chase or could be a system play. People betting streaks & so on. People betting on their favorite team & it doesn't matter who takes the bump, they're still betting them. Sometimes people want action regardless who's pitching & that's fine.
    The rule was put into place to protect those that are backing pitchers more so than teams & that's fine too.

It's a good rule.