Sayner Express
    Sayner Express's Avatar Become A Pro!

Any Ideas On Boston/texas?

Would like to bet this game. Wakefield pitching for Boston scares the crap out of me.
    Texas batting ave of .161 also scares the crap out of me.

Think one of these teams in going to win by 2 runs or more, just can't decide which one.

ANY Idea's??
    Last edited by Sayner Express; 04-06-07 at 07:55 AM.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a really tough one. Wakefield has been terrible vs Texas and at Ameriquest. Tejeda has also been terrible at Ameriquest. Boston has a more potent offense. I think the line, with Boston as a very small fave, is about right. If I had to take a side I'd take Boston at the current line.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I was looking at the over.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

i like boston

texas got swept. you have to ask yourself is it possible for texas to go 0-4? i think so.

Dbldown11
    Dbldown11's Avatar Become A Pro!

texas all the way and the over 10.5. If memory serves me correctly the rangers beat up on wakefield and early in the season wakefields knuckleball gets beat around the the park. I'm all over the rangers +105 and the over

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    you have to ask yourself is it possible for texas to go 0-4? i think so.
    I can see that happening as well. Texas will start winning when they play Tampa Bay on Monday at home. At least thats way my numbers breakdown.

Sayner Express
    Sayner Express's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the input. After looking at everything I went ahead and bet the over. Boston has one of the best lineups in baseball. Tejeda has a 7.17 ERA in 3 home starts last year. Wakefield was was 0-1 with a 7.59 ERA in two starts last season against the Rangers. The over looks like the best way to go.

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

the line went to pickem which to me signifies a be ton the road team

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

i rolled with the redsox-108

Dbldown11
    Dbldown11's Avatar Become A Pro!

why does the line moving to EV make u wanna take the road team? The road team in this case was favored originally

go pistons
    go pistons's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mets/ BRAVES

I like the METS vs. Mark Redman tonight.

Mets bats are hot and Redman is junk

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

Come on redsox

down 0-2, come on red sox, hit some homers.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Still not sure why anyone thinks the Red Sox have a good lineup. They have two very good hitters, but the other seven hitters are the worst in baseball. If Ortiz or Manny have an off day, they can't keep up with the Rangers offensively.

Razz

Wake just struck out the side in the 3rd. I actually like him, and I think he is their lone pitcher that will often have value this year, though I think you would have to be nuts not to take Texas as a home dog against him considering his history in Arlington.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Still not sure why anyone thinks the Red Sox have a good lineup. They have two very good hitters, but the other seven hitters are the worst in baseball. If Ortiz or Manny have an off day, they can't keep up with the Rangers offensively.

I agree that they may prove to be not as powerful as some may think initially, but they're pretty frickin strong. Unless the big 2 have age-related decline this year, they are 2 of the best hitters in all of baseball. Having 2 of them in the lineup is a huge start. Then the rest are not the worst in baseball by any means. Lugo and Youkilis are very solid, if maybe not spectacular, with a little pop in their bats as well. Then after the big 2, JD Drew is a bona fide big bat. It would be more appropriate to label him a "very good hitter" than Ortiz and Manny. Then Lowell is a half-step down, but similar to, Drew. 2005 looked like he went off the juice, but then he rebounded in 2006, so presumably everything's back to normal for him, and he should be good for another 40 2B, 20 HR, .280 season. And then Coco Crisp should be very good, hit close to .300 with some pop and some speed to boot. So you have a bunch of standard/capable guys down the order, anchored by TWO of the best power bats in baseball, that's a pretty strong lineup.

Texas has some decent hitters, but they've got Lofton and Sosa, who may well have good years, but at some point age will catch up with them, they are both around 40. And the rest of the top guys, Young, Texiera, and Blalock, all have inflated numbers from playing at Ameriquest. Compare their home/road splits and you'll see what I mean. Young hits 50 points higher at home than on the road, and his slugging pct is 80 points higher at home. Texiera hits 35 points higher at home, and his slugging pct is 100 points higher. Blalock hits 60 points higher at home, and his slugging pct is 120 points higher. Wilkerson and Cattalanoto are very solid, and the 8 and 9 holes are standard. So overall, I'd say Boston is likely to have a much better year offensively than Texas will.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by Ganchrow HG View Post
    you have a bunch of standard/capable guys down the order, anchored by TWO of the best power bats in baseball, that's a pretty strong lineup.
    If they had anything even resembling that, then OK. But the problem is that JD Drew will do all of the following more than the number of times he leaves the yard:

1) have a multiple strikeout game
    2) ground into a double play
    3) spend a day on the DL

Did I mention he's their third best hitter?

Lugo's pretty good, I guess. Youkilis wouldn't be on the 25-man roster of any other contending team, and he hits second. Lowell is 59 years old. I like Tek a lot, but one of the biggest Red Sox fans in the world described his swing this way:

You know those movie scenes where two hitmen have to dump a dead body somewhere, so they ride a boat out into the middle of the ocean and swing the body overboard ... only the thing is so cumbersome, as they're swinging the body, they nearly fall overboard into the water with it? That's what Varitek's swings have looked like this season. If you have him on your fantasy team, lower your 2007 expectations to the ".229, 16 HRs, 51 RBIs" range.
    Coco Crisp was a debacle last year, and won't be any better. Pedroia is about as threatening as the French military.

ShowMeDaMoney
    ShowMeDaMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 746

You sound quite biased to me friend. Coco is young, fast, can get on base (see his number prior to the injury, though it was a short period of time) and has great D. Without question, he has not added up to what we thought he would be, but he should be given at least a few more months before they throw in the towel on him. With reguards to Pedroia, read alot of Fantasy Magazines who have experts claiming this guy is going to be a great everyday second basemen. While they "experts" are wrong all the time, I also think Pedroia can be good, though I'm not completely sold on him just yet.

By the way Pedroia and Drew has by far the best AVG on the Sox so far - 385 and 357 respectively.

Razz

I think Coco benefitted greatly by playing in a hitter's park (his numbers away from Cleveland were terrible in comparison) in one of the best lineups in baseball. The current Red Sox lineup doesn't offer him the same protection as when he was hitting in front of Peralta, Hafner, and Martinez. He is a very good centerfielder. I have him as the sixth best defensive CF (Andruw, Rowand, Matthews, Edmonds, Logan). I'm just talking about their lineup. And while Pedroia may turn out to be an above average player, and I fully believe he may, at this point in his career, he's not a real offensive threat.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Youkilis wouldn't be on the 25-man roster of any other contending team, and he hits second.
    I'll take Youkilis over Josh Phelps and Mientkiewicz any day. 381 OBP last year--very good for a number 2 hitter. Also plays a solid first base.
    Last edited by rjt721; 04-06-07 at 10:30 PM.

Razz

There's no way any objective person would take him over Josh Phelps. DM, perhaps (though you would be wrong to do so, IMO), but no way over Phelps. That's like me saying I'd take Giambi over Ortiz. Actually, more of a reach because Giambi has actually been the MVP of the AL before.

Razz

By the way, I'm not sure why I wrote what you quoted, I don't believe it at all. Youkilis actually isn't that bad - except for his facial hair - and he would be one of my favorite players if I was a B----- fan. Not a great hitter, but a good addition to a team. Please strike that from the record.