SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Matt Fargo: Back Blanton and A's vs M's

Back Blanton and A's vs M's

Game Time: 4/3/2007 10:00:00 PM -
    By: Matt Fargo
    http://www.procappers.com

All stats and trends in this matchup point to Oakland. Play the Athletics tonight against the Mariners at Safeco Field in Seattle.

Oakland got beat by a very solid effort from Felix Hernandez on Monday, but the A’s have still owned this series, winning 17 of the last 19 meetings including eight of 10 in Seattle.

It wasn’t just last year either as the A’s simply have the Mariners' number over the past three years going 50-16 against them. It’s unlikely Oakland even comes close to duplicating that 2006 record again this season, but one thing in their favor is the pitching matchup on Tuesday on both sides.

Joe Blanton has pitched some of his best baseball against Seattle, going 6-1 with a 2.50 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in eight career starts against the Mariners. This includes a perfect 3-0 mark with a 2.25 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in three starts at Safeco Field. Blanton went 4-0 with a 1.55 ERA against Seattle last year alone. The A’s actually weren’t supposed to throw Blanton in this series as he was pegged the fourth starter. But shoulder tightness from Esteban Loaiza moved him up to second, which is where he should have been all along.

Seattle counters with Jarrod Washburn who is in his second year in Seattle after posting his worst ERA and WHIP last season since 1999. April has notoriously been his worst month as he has put up highs in ERA, WHIP and BAA in this month compared to any other in his career. Add to the fact that he does not like facing Oakland and it only adds to the early season woes. Washburn has struggled against the A’s and has not defeated Oakland since 2004, going 0-3 with a 4.50 ERA while his teams have dropped five straight.

The A’s went 23-18 against left-handed pitching last season and they fall into a solid situation against Washburn: Play against all American League favorites with a moneyline of -110 or higher and versus a starting pitcher whose ERA was 4.20 to 4.70 last season. This situation is 20-9 against the moneyline (69%) over the last three seasons with the average run differential being 1.5 in those 29 games.

Look for the A’s to get it back on Tuesday and grab their first win of the young season. Play Oakland for one unit.

Play: Athletics +105

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

I agree Fargo. I like the Athletics tonight as well. Good luck.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I too like Blanton and the A's today.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'll probably jump on-board like yesterday with OAK. If they don't do anything on offense again, it'll be awhile before I bet them again.