JamesThomas
    JamesThomas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Top Under Umpires

Top Under Umpires

Under

Bill Miller - Miller is probably my favorite ump. Over the last 14 years his biggest Over year was 17-16. In that same timeframe he was 263-191 (58%) to the Under. He's averaged less than 9 runs a game for 5 consecutive years in which he's 103-67 (61%) to the Under during that time. His strike %, BB rate, and K rate continue to be among the best.

Doug Eddings - Doug is probably the most famous ump among baseball bettors. Eddings began umping in 1998. In those 15 years, just one time did Doug finish the season with more Overs called than Unders. That year he was just 16-14 to the Over, and that was 10 years ago. By my count he is 261-182 (59%) to the Under in his career. I don't think there's another umpire that calls strikes at a consistlenty high percentage as Doug Eddings does, and at 64.7% he is coming off another season at a significantly high clip.

Brian Runge - Runge is 81-54 (60%) to the Under over the last 5 years. He just finished his 4th consecutive year under 9 runs a game finsihing up at 7.7. His strike percentage continues to be stellar after another year north of 64% and his walks per game remain low at 5.6 a year ago.

Phil Cuzzi - Cuzzi is 73-51 (59%) to the Under since 2009. He's averaged less than 9 runs per game in 5 consecutive seasons. He's had a strike % north of 63% in every year since 2003. Cuzzi consistently records among the most strikeouts per game doing it once again at 4th overall in 2012.

Dan Iassogna - Iassogna's zone has passed the eye test for me in recent years. He's 60-40 (60%) to the Under over the last 3 seasons and averaged 8.1 runs per game or less in each of those years. He was #2 in strikeouts per game and top 10 in least amount of walks per game last season. His strike percentage hasn't been significantlly high in these 3 seasons but it's certainly on the Under side. He doesn't have a long history of signinficant Under results so I will be quick to pull him from the list if I see a change, but for now all the numbers say he belongs on the Under side right now.

Dan Bellino - Bellino is a young ump with 4 years experience and just 3 of them full years. He's 42-21 (67%) to the Under over the past 2 seasons and has held a strike percentage north of 63% in all 4 years. His runs per game over the past 2 seasons have sat right around 8.

Jeff Kellogg - New addition to my list after an 11-23 o/u season a year ago. That puts him at 80-54 (60%) to the Under over the past 4 years. I didn't do much digging into the numbers before adding him to the list as he certainly passed the eye test for me a year ago with an enormous zone from what I saw. He finished with the 2nd fewest runs allowed per game among all umps at 6.9 making it the 4th consecutive season he's averaged under 9 runs per game. It was also his 3rd consecutive season with a strike percentage north of 63%. He was top 5 in fewest walks allowed in 2012 making it his 3rd consecutive year with less than 6 walks allowed per game.

Kankerganker
    Kankerganker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Hey man, Great post! Im getting into my first MLB season, after betting a lot of NBA in the past.

I think i am mainly gonna be betting unders & some road dogs. Can you point me to a good site where i can check who will be umping the games?

farmhouse1
    farmhouse1's Avatar Become A Pro!

You prolly wanna focus more on the pitchers and bullpens for betting totals not umpires. Also how teams hit certain pitchers, how well lineups do versus left/right handed pitchers,