Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

How much will Ervin Santanna help the Atlanta Braves??

I had hoped the Blue Jays or the Orioles would have landed him.

The only favortism i show at all in MLB is a dislike for the Braves.

I've always hated the Braves and their fans.

But anyhow is he a good fit for Atlanta?

I mean he's an inning eater and will give you quality starts but he does give up a ton of fly balls and as a result he gives up a fair amount of home runs...

The air is thick with all the humidity in Atlanta so that should help keep some of those fly balls in the park....

But just curious what are your thoughts? Does he change the outlook of the Braves season?

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

He will help a lot

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Great signing for both he and the Braves
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GUMMO77

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Signing a one year deal where you aren't going to get good run support is a bad idea.
    Was crying over a measly couple million in the high 40's for 4 years because of what Jiminez got.
    Could be a major backfire for him with not much chance to benefit doing it.

Let's say he has another good year like last year, how much is that going to help him for a 4 or 5 year contract when he's a year older?
    Let's say he throws his arm out this year?
    Game over and only 14 mill.

Won't make much difference at all. He will be looking at the same contract offers next year in all likelihood if not less years being offered to him.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

The more i think about it...i think ultimately he likes the fact the Braves are both a contender and play in the national league.

He will benifet from facing much easier line-ups and no DH.

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

Turner field isn't a great hitting ballpark. He has an above average defensive outfield to track down all of those fly balls. Pitching in the NL should help

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    The more i think about it...i think ultimately he likes the fact the Braves are both a contender and play in the national league.

He will benifet from facing much easier line-ups and no DH.
    Braves are not contenders.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    Braves are not contenders.
    In that division they are. Minor/Teheran/Santana/Wood/Beachy isn't a bad rotation. When they decide to cut bait on Uggla and play LaStella they'll get a bat who can get on base at the top of the order. I think they'll miss McCann, but their young players can pick up for his absence offensively.

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    In that division they are. Minor/Teheran/Santana/Wood/Beachy isn't a bad rotation. When they decide to cut bait on Uggla and play LaStella they'll get a bat who can get on base at the top of the order. I think they'll miss McCann, but their young players can pick up for his absence offensively.
    They will be the one of the 3 worst offenses in MLB this year easily.
    I like Teheran but no one else impresses me much.
    The only thing that keeps them around .500 this year is that unstoppable pen and awful scheduling that lets them play the MEts and Marlins 25 games each or whatever ridiculous number it is.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

that johnson dude at 3B will have a tough time duplicating last seasons numbers. And BJ Upton looks lost at the plate.

I agree they will miss McCann big time. I am not totally sold on Gattis.

The thing about the Braves is that bullpen is the real deal. If those starters can just hold a lead until the 7th its pretty much game over.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Freeman is a stud, J Up is close to one, Simmons will be good and it will be nice to see what Heyward can do for a full season when he's not having organs removed out of his body.

Uggla is batting over .300 this sring and has a .400obp...I dont think that will last, but LaStella would post a OBP in the high .300's. He reminds me a lot of Matt Carpenter or Martin Prado.

Agree on Chris Johnson, BJ has looked better so far but who knows. We'll see about Gattis...between him Doumit and some of the young guys they can piece together a decent C/OF. Their problem is they need some guys at the top of the lineup who can work the count and get on base. I like the Nats in the division but think the Braves will be good enough to get a wild card.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Heyward??? Huh?? Guy so overrated, you can pencil him info like 250 or so. He just will never be a a big numbers guy.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Would've been huge but now Medlen is gone and Beachy has more soreness. He's a great signing but after the last couple days they're still worse than they were 2 weeks ago if Beachy is in trouble again.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Who would you rather have on your team Ervin Santanna or Tim Hudson?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Before the Medlen/Beachy/Santana news:

Nats +100 to win division
    Braves +125

Braves o/u wins 86.5

After Medlen/Beachy/Santana news

Nats +100 to win division
    Braves +130

Braves o/u wins 87

...not much has changed

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I don't think their lineup is constructed very well after losing Bourn but bottom 3? Wow...

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Dane do you think its pretty safe to say this is a 2 team race in the NL East?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I think if the Phillies can stay healthy, they have an outside shot.

The Braves basically went on two heaters last year. One to start the season and another one some time around the middle. They were average the rest of the season.

For all the love the Nats are getting, they really haven't put it together outside of one year they decided to rest Stras for the playoffs. They already have issues with Fister & a few of the bullpen guys. If Harper is out for an extended amount of time again, it'd open up the door for Phille.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

yeah i wonder if the Tigers knew Fister was damaged goods?

The Nats have a very solid 3 starting pitchers..

It looks like Matt Williams is making these guys work harder in spring training and hes been keeping them on a set schedule which may be good for a young team..

The big key regarding the Nationals to me is getting Denard Span on base

MoneyzForSportz
    MoneyzForSportz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 225

If the Braves didn't get some SP help then the Nationals would run away with that division. Currently the overall weakest division in MLB.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

If Harper is out for an extended amount of time again, it'd open up the door for Phille.
    If Miguel Cabrera is out for a while, the Royals really have a good chance to win the Central!

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

The only thing that keeps them around .500 this year is that unstoppable pen and awful scheduling that lets them play the MEts and Marlins 25 games each or whatever ridiculous number it is.
    First things first.

Thread topic is "How much will Santana help the Braves"?
    Answer: Shitloads. Why? Because he pretty much has not missed a start in his career as a starter. He doesn't break down. He's beyond durable, and that is very important to a staff with a ton of talent, but seems to always wind up on the DL. Like Beachy, love Brandon, but might be the best pitcher in the game never to pitch a full season. Now Mike Minor has a barking shoulder, an is not going to be ready at least another month, at best. Anytime you got 'bad shoulder' attached to a starting pitchers name, you got problems.

Santana is a brilliant signing, for short (by todays standards) money.
    Like I said, an innings eater, ask your bullpen how important those type of starters are?
    If you have to attach one word to describe Santana, it's steady. Not great, not amazing, but steady.
    Look at his across the board career numbers, every important stat that matters is steady, below the AL average in WHIP. ERA is a 1/2 run lower than league average, and can get you seven K's a game plus.
    As long as Alex Wood steps up, Braves will be fine.

Benny? Worst 3 offenses in the MLB?
    Benny, you are better than that fella. I can think of 10 worst lineups right now.
    Heyward, J-UPT, Freeman up top can mash, they will get you 60 homers + combined, and those three know how to get on base, all three will have OBA's of .350 to .375, which is rock solid, and you know the most imortant stat is OBA.

Gattis I have seen enough of to say he is a bona fide masher, dude can rake, but does not have a patient eye.

Chris Johnson is what he is, a .280 singles type slapper, but I got no problem with that type of guy who you know will give you .280, albeit with pretty much no power, but has a dependable stick.

Simmons is a giant qustion mark, Uggla is a pretty much a low average, like .230 low, but has a ton of pop for a middle IF'er. Don't throw him a fat one, he'll lose it, but throw him a nasty one, he'll miss it.

I am reading where BJ UPT has totally overhauled his swing and approach to hitting, and is looking great. Let's see, if true he is dangerous.
    If not, he is useless.

Remember, BJ has hit .300 in the bigs before, has stolen 40 or more before, and can easily still steal 25, and has hit over 20 homers several times.

Braves first three in the lineup is a top three leadoff tandum in the NL, top five in the majors, how can that make you one of the worst three lineups in the bigs.

Yeah Uggla is pretty much useless, Simmons has yet to have a cup of coffee. They have a very good top of the order, and a giant question mark in BJ Upton and Simmons at the bottom.

Here are the two 'x' factors.
    Alex Wood as a starter, and is this BJ Upton reclaimation project going to be successful.

The first half on the lineup, and the bull pen will keep them within 4 games or so of Washington until Labor Day, this is MLB, 162 games, not NFL, 16 games.
    Points Awarded:

Ralphie Halves gave stevenash 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    If Miguel Cabrera is out for a while, the Royals really have a good chance to win the Central!
    Miguel has shown he can play a full season without getting hurt, Hunter has not

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Good call. Awfully constructed lineup. Didn't see that one coming. Greg Walker &/or Frank Wren should get shit canned

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6201

freddie freeman was never going to carry the club, very hard to do mentally

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    I had hoped the Blue Jays or the Orioles would have landed him.

The only favortism i show at all in MLB is a dislike for the Braves.

I've always hated the Braves and their fans.

But anyhow is he a good fit for Atlanta?

I mean he's an inning eater and will give you quality starts but he does give up a ton of fly balls and as a result he gives up a fair amount of home runs...

The air is thick with all the humidity in Atlanta so that should help keep some of those fly balls in the park....

But just curious what are your thoughts? Does he change the outlook of the Braves season?
    the Braves need him bad tonight!

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

They are currently the 28th offense in runs scored only ahead of San Diego and St. Louis. Guess Benny was right.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

tremondous signing by the Braves.

Can u imagine if the Royals hadnt been so cheap?