Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

2007 MLB Preview: ChiSox look for postseason return

ChiSox look for postseason return

Missing the playoffs entirely a year after winning it all did not sit well with Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox. Chicago now looks to return to 2005 form.

Something happened last year that had not happened in the majors since the 1990-1991 seasons. Not counting the two year break between postseason play caused by the infamous 1994 strike, the two teams that were in the previous World Series, the White Sox and Astros, both failed to make it back to the playoffs the following year.

After Chicago’s Southsiders stormed through the 2005 season to win their first Fall Classic since the Woodrow Wilson administration, missing the playoffs entirely in 2006 was a huge disappointment. They still appeared to be the class of the division entering the ’06 campaign, with most picking the Cleveland Indians as their stiffest competition.

But the Detroit Tigers and Minnesota Twins didn’t heed those prognostications.

The Pale Hose played ab as well as one could expect the first three months of the season. But despite a 52-27 record through June, Chicago was still 2½ games behind the Tigers in the division. A 10-15 swing in July started the slide and the White Sox’ fate was sealed with a 12-17 mark after Aug 31.

The pitching, especially the starters, that made Chicago the envy of about 29 other clubs in 2005 left White Sox fans green around the gills at season’s end. The offense was loaded top to bottom, finishing with a major league best 236 home runs in 2006. And the good news is the big sticks of that group are back in 2007.

And if Chicago fans are looking for a silver lining in last year’s disappointment, they only need look back in the books to the previous time their White Sox won the World Series then failed to play the following October. After the club won the 1917 World Series then plummeted to sixth in the then eight-team AL in 1918, the 1919 Pale Hose came right back in 1919 to find their way back into the Fall Classic.

Of course, that silver lining turned rather black in the end, so maybe we shouldn’t go there.

OFFENSE
    Chicago boasted a quartet of 30+ home run sluggers in 2006, with two of those batters topping 40 in the long ball column. All four - - Jermaine Dye (44) Jim Thome (42), Paul Konerko (35) and Joe Crede (30) - - will be back in the middle of the batting order again this year. So scoring runs really shouldn’t be a problem.

Thome’s rebound season earned him his fifth All-Star appearance and marked the sixth time in the past seven seasons he has finished in the Top 10 of his league in home runs. Konerko might be the official team captain, but it’s clear that Thome’s leadership in the clubhouse is invaluable.

With Konerko and Crede back on opposite infield corners at first and third respectively, this rest of the infield is completed with Tadahito Iguchi at second and Juan Uribe at short. This will be the third straight season together for this infield foursome. Iguchi is one of the best-kept secrets in the AL despite two solid seasons since coming over from Japan. Uribe did pop 21 homers a year ago and finished with the same 71 RBI he had during Chicago’s 2005 championship season. But his offense suffered as he managed but a .257 on-base average.

Infield backups include Thome possibly spelling Konerko at first a few times, along with Alex Cintron who can play all over the dirt. Two more that could see time on the infield are Rob Mackowiak and Pablo Ozuna.

Dye is back in right, but the rest of the outfield is a little up in the air at this time. Chicago inked Darin Erstad to a 1-year deal, and it’s possible that Erstad opens the year in left while Scott Podsednik recovers from a 'sports hernia.' Once Podsednik is healthy, he will be in left with Erstad and Brian Anderson likely sharing a centerfield platoon. Anderson was a big disappointment in 2006 and his days with the White Sox could be numbered since the club has Ryan Sweeney just itching at a chance to play in the bigs.

Erstad is also coming off an ankle injury, so if both he and Podsednik are on the shelf, look for Luis Terrero to possibly spend some time in the White Sox dugout and outfield.

AJ Pierzynski is back behind the plate and coming off another fine season in which he clubbed 16 and hit .295. Toby Hall, formerly of the Dodgers and Devil Rays, will be Pierzynski’s backup.

PITCHING
    As mentioned, the strength of Chicago’s world titlists in 2005 was the starting rotation. The quintet of Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland and Orlando Hernandez, a group that started all but 10 of their regular season games, combined for a 3.75 ERA in over 1000 innings and were credited with 72 of the team’s MLB-leading 99 wins.

Hernandez was replaced by Javier Vazquez in 2006, and many expected the quintet to do even better last season. Instead, the rotation allowed an addition 105 earned runs over their 2005 figure, combining for a 4.62 ERA, almost a run higher. Overall, the staff saw its runs allowed number increase by nearly 150 from 2005 to 2006, going from the third-fewest runs allowed in the AL to the fifth most.

Garcia is now gone after the White Sox shipped him to Philly for young hurler Gavin Floyd. And Brandon McCarthy, the starting in waiting the past two seasons, was also traded, though it appears now that Chicago made a very nice deal in that swap by plying young John Danks from the Rangers in the swap.

But the heat is on Buehrle, Garland, Contreras and Vazquez to pitch up to their potential, and their paychecks, and get the Pale Hose back to the postseason.

The battle for the fifth slot in the rotation appeared to be Floyd’s coming into camp. But a couple of sour outings has the fourth overall pick in the 2001 draft losing ground to young knuckler Charlie Haeger and Danks who was just acquired from Texas. Haeger could figure into the long relief role and, ideally, Chicago would like to give Danks a little more seasoning in the minors before throwing him to the wolves that are AL lineups.

Big Bobby Jenks throws very hard and is off a 41-save season. But his violent delivery and history of arm trouble makes him one of the most fragile 270-pounders in the majors. And the White Sox bullpen might not be quite as deep as it has been in the past couple of seasons.

Mike MacDougal will be the primary setup arm and does give Chicago an experienced arm for closing if they need him to. Matt Thornton and Boone Logan provide bullpen help from the port side, as does Andy Sisco who the club picked up from the Royals in a swap for infielder Ross Gload. Another name to watch as the bullpen gets sorted out is Nick Masset who also came from the Rangers with Danks in the McCarthy deal.

Key Player(s): The offense is a known commodity as the White Sox should once again sit near the top in runs scored and home runs this season. So that leaves the defense and the pitching staff, especially the starters. The spotlight is on Javier Vazquez and Mark Buehrle.

Futures: Win totals vary from 87 at Bodog to 88½ at Pinnacle to 89½ at The Greek where the White Sox are listed at +1085 to win their second World Series in the past three seasons. Bodog has Chicago 7:4 in the AL Central, 11:2 in the AL and 10:1 to win it all. Over at Pinnacle, the White Sox are +257 in their division, +730 in the Junior Circuit and +1155 to win the Fall Classic.

Chicago bounced all over the sims, ranging from a low of 81 wins to a high of 94. I like them in the 89-90 range, and could see them reach the low-to-mid 90s if 2-3 of their starters rebound and get back in line with their 2005 showings. Put me down for the over right now as far as the current win totals go.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like the in the Central..I think they have the best 3-4-5 in baseball

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really don't see this team doing much at all this year. There bullpen is going to blow a ton of games this year mark my words.

I think the under 89½ wins total is very generous this year.

austintx05

I agree in the pen....it didnt hold up last year...

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I think the under 89½ wins total is very generous this year.
    Eh, you St. Louis lads just never will cut Chicago any slack, will ya'?

Just curious, Dan, but would you be very confident about Under 87 (current total at Bodog)? My sims had them all over the place, like I mentioned, and I found that interesting since they have one of the widest win total gaps right now at a few of the books.

bigboydan

87 wins is probably about the right total on this prop Willie.

I feel they will have roughly 83-85 wins this year.

austintx05

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post
    I guess you like the Sox to win the division with a number like that.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

With an aging lineup and no 5th starter I am going under for Chicago. My numbers have them at 81-83 wins.

austintx05

Yeah I do...I am not so sure Detroit can repeat like they did last year. I also see last years Chicago team in their sophomore slump..

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by austintx05
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I guess you like the Sox to win the division with a number like that.
    I guess 91 could win it, but then, as we saw in the NL Central last year, 83 can win it. The Tigers still have the best all-around pitching in the division, I feel. I'm just not sold on Leyland 100% in his second year since he tends to get bored pretty quick. The team I don't think will repeat this year is Minnesota, though I have a tendency like the rest to undervalue them. And I think the Indians will be better than last. If all four play well, then you could win your under 87 bet on the ChiSox and they could win the division as well.

bigboydan

Toby Hall may miss season with torn labrum
    TUCSON, Ariz. -- After having X-rays taken of his injured right throwing shoulder Sunday evening, Toby Hall joked with a group of reporters that he was trying for a web gem when diving for a ground ball at first base in the ninth inning of Sunday's Cactus League game at Texas.

Hall's slick defensive maneuver didn't earn him a spot on the ESPN highlight reel, but that oversight was the least of the backup catcher's problems come Monday. According to the initial diagnosis stemming from a morning MRI, Hall suffered a torn labrum and the injury is expected to cost him the entire 2007 season.

Hall came to the White Sox via a two-year, $3.65 million offseason deal as a free agent, with an option for $2.25 million in 2009. But the right-handed-hitting Hall immediately fit with the White Sox, both on and off the field, and figured to get more work than a normal bench player with the plethora of quality left-handed pitchers in the American League Central.

Add in the fact Hall never has been injured during the course of his seven-year career, playing a position that picks up constant bumps and bruises and an occasional home-plate collision, and the 31-year-old's high level of disappointment was easily understandable.

"I'm just really frustrated right now," said Hall, minutes after finding out the news produced by the MRI. "I was going to help this team this year.

"It's one of those things where you really can't put it into words. I knew it hurt, but I've never been hurt, so I had no idea to what extent."

The next step for Hall, as explained by the catcher and general manager Ken Williams, will be for him to leave Arizona within the next day and see Dr. Lewis Yocum, the Angels' medical director, in Los Angeles. Hall also mentioned there might be a third opinion sought out on the injury in Tampa.

While Williams would not confirm Hall being shut down for the season, he was not optimistic about a healthy contribution from one of his most important offseason additions in the immediate future.

"Well, I'm hearing the MRI wasn't encouraging," said the White Sox general manager before watching his team take on the Giants in Scottsdale. "Certainly, it lends itself to be more pessimistic rather than optimistic, at this point.

"As for all of the details, we're not quite sure what extent the major injury is. It's safe to assume it's going to be a while."

The news was greeted with a level of shock and great disappointment from White Sox veterans such as Mark Buehrle and A.J. Pierzynski, who were getting their daily work done back in Tucson. Pierzynski actually knew Hall before he signed with the White Sox, through their mutual friendship with Aaron Rowand.

Pierzynski spoke of Hall's great clubhouse fit and echoed a basic sentiment he mentioned back in late February, defining Spring Training's primary goal as leaving Arizona healthy and prepared for the regular season. The White Sox seemed to be in good shape until the top of the ninth inning Sunday at Tucson Electric Park.

This prolonged absence for Hall obviously will increase Pierzynski's workload, but that part of the equation is not a problem for the starting backstop, who prides himself on being prepared to "play every single day, 162 games." But Hall's presence was aimed at keeping Pierzynski fresh down the stretch of a long a season, as well as spelling the left-handed hitting catcher from time to time against Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia, Minnesota's Johan Santana or a southpaw starter of that pedigree.

So, who replaces Hall on the roster? Familiar veteran faces who know the pitching staff such as Chris Widger and Sandy Alomar Jr. are not an option, according to one source in the organization. Javy Lopez, who was released by the Rockies on March 12, would be another alternative, but Williams made it clear Monday the team intended to stay within the organization.

Following that plan of attack, Minor Leaguer Gustavo Molina or veteran Wiki Gonzalez stand as the primary candidates.

"What we've tried to do with each position is insulate ourselves first so if something like this happens, we have confidence in the person backing up," Williams said. "We'll make the determination, first and foremost, based on who's best for the pitching staff."

Williams' criteria seems to give Molina the slight edge, although manager Ozzie Guillen intended to survey his pitchers and coaching staff. The 25-year-old Molina, who was reassigned to Minor League camp prior to a game against the Giants on March 21, drew rave reviews from veteran White Sox hurlers for the way he worked behind the plate last spring. Gonzalez, 32, has the experience edge. The .239 career hitter has played in the Major Leagues for San Diego, Seattle and Washington, and probably would be the better option offensively.

But the White Sox have plenty of offensive firepower already and will go as far as their pitching takes them. It's an opportunity for both backup backstops, one which neither of them hoped would come about in this particular manner.

"I feel great with my defense and working with the pitching staff," said Molina, who started against the Giants on Monday and has played well after his spring arrival was delayed by **** problems in Venezuela. "The key is being on the same page, but I feel like I'm family right now. I know a couple of guys from the past two or three years, so it's pretty good."

"Hopefully what I showed is what they want from me," added Gonzalez, who joined Molina in wishing Hall well and expressing his sadness in regard to Hall's injury. "Is it? I don't know. Spring Training is over, and we'll see what's going to happen."

Featuring a .237 career average over seven Minor League seasons as he enters the 2007 campaign, Molina figures to be a bit overmatched against some of the AL Central's top hurlers. Then again, so are some of the league's more accomplished hitters.

If neither Molina nor Gonzalez get the job done, Williams certainly has the aggressive nature to add an important piece to the team's playoff push through a trade. Williams thought he had that piece taken care of in Hall until one attempted defensive play produced the worst possible results.

"That little dive may have just cost me the season," said Hall, who hit .406 this spring.

"It just [stinks], especially in Spring Training when he was playing first base, for that to happen," Pierzynski added. "We are going to have to get through it, but it's a guy we brought in who we thought can help us, and hopefully he still can."