Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

2007 MLB Preview: Astros still good, but not good enough

Astros still good, but not good enough

After winning their first NL Flag in 2005, the Houston Astros stumbled through 2006 and missed the playoffs. Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman have a big load to shoulder this time.

It was a very disappointing season for the boys in brick-&-sand last year. A season removed from the franchise’s first NL Pennant and trip to the World Series, the Astros languished in the ranks most of the season before a late surge, accompanied by a late slump by the Cardinals, provided a little excitement for Houston fans.

Being one of those fans, the only solace I can take in the Astros’ 2006 season is that I took them on the under side of the 83½-win total posted before the season started, and the Houston Nine came through with a middling 82-80 mark.

The Astros got off to a great start in defense of their NL crown, sitting 16-8 through April and just a half-game behind NL Central co-leaders St. Louis and Cincinnati. They won every series during the season’s first month except for a rain-shortened set in San Francisco that went the way of a 1-1 split. After they swept a short, 2-game series at home against the Cardinals on May 4, Houston was 19-9.

And that’s when it all started to unravel. Perhaps their hot start relaxed the team too much. Every indication was that future Hall-of-Famer Roger Clemens would be rejoining the club soon, and if they were doing this well without him, then surely they’d be kicking tail all over the NL with him in the rotation.

There were already some signs that, despite the 19-9 record, the club had problems. Closer Brad Lidge, nicknamed Lights Out, had 11 saves at the time, but his ERA was approaching 6.00. Morgan Ensberg had gotten off to a very hot start on the heels of a strong 2005 season. But after an 0-for-3 game the next night on May 5, he would never see .300 under the batting average column again in 2006.

Likewise, veteran Craig Biggio’s numbers would tail off dramatically after May 4 as would Preston Wilson’s RBI. Though the club would still be in it up until the final game of the season in Atlanta, their season effectively ended beginning on May 5 when they traveled to Colorado and were swept by the Rockies in a 3-game set.

OFFENSE
    Houston’s offense was known to be the weak link entering 2006. Jeff Bagwell would never see a pitch in 2006 and would officially announce his retirement after the end of the season. Losing his bat in the order and his presence in the clubhouse was huge. Still, the club managed to score more runs in 2006 than they did in 2005. The only trouble is the 693 runs they plated in 2005 were 11th in the NL while the 735 they scored in 2006 ranked a notch lower.

The infield, for all intents and purposes, remains the same this year. Berkman will be at first with Biggio at second, Ensberg at third and Adam Everett at short. Berkman’s coming off career highs in homers (45) and RBI (136), numbers more astounding when you consider clubs were often pitching around the switch-hitter.

Biggio will be going for his 3,000th hit this season, opening the year just 70 short of the milestone in what has been a super 19-year career so far. Everett was never in the lineup for his bat, but two straight seasons of .290 on-base averages would indicate that his glove, as strong as it is, can’t make up for his lack of offense.

Ensberg holds the key here, just as he did entering 2006. Though his on-base number rose a bit in 2006, his average slumped about 50 points, his slugging percentage fell nearly 100 and his RBI dropped about 30% (calculating for the same plate appearances).

Mark Loretta was signed in the offseason and will back Biggio up at second while also supplying a little insurance for Ensberg at third. Mike Lamb will also see time at the infield corners, and Eric Bruntlett will fill in all over the map.

Brad Ausmus, after winning his third Gold Glove, is in the same boat at catcher as Everett is at short. Is his defense really that good to make up for his lack of offense?

The outfield trio for Houston this Opening Day will be completely different than last. Carlos Lee will be in left, and unlike Everett and Ausmus, El Caballo was signed for his stick and not his glove. If his stick doesn’t come through, the Astros will have made a very, very expensive mistake.

Chris Burke, long listed as Biggio’s heir apparent at second, will be shifted full time to center field after the club dealt speedy Willy Taveras during the winter. And Luke Scott, off a strong 65-game run at the end of the season, will be in right. While the trio might be fine, even better than average as a group offensively, their defense coming into the season is suspect at best.

Orlando Palmeiro and Jason Lane figure to be the backups in the outfield, at least for now. Richard Hidalgo is also in camp trying to make a comeback in both the majors and in Houston. Hunter Pence is the future star in the outfield, but he’ll begin the year at Triple-A.

PITCHING
    Andy Pettitte has returned to New York, Clemens is once again pondering his future and Brandon Backe will miss most if not all of the season rehabbing his elbow. Backe only made eight starts last year and Clemens didn’t make his first start until late June, so it’s really like the club is missing two starters instead of three.

But it was a staff that already saw its runs allowed total increase by 110 from 2005 to 2006, and losing any pitchers for a club that has relied so heavily on its arms is cause for concern.

The good news is Roy Oswalt, one of the best in the biz the last six seasons, will return and play the role of staff ace. And the club did sign free agent Woody Williams and traded for Jason Jennings. So 3-deep, the rotation should be better than many.

But who fills out the rotation is a big question mark right now. Wandy Rodriguez looks to be the fourth man in the order, and that’s only because he comes from the port side. Veteran Brian Moehler was invited to camp, but it’s doubtful he’ll be able to beat out the other three right-handers vying for a job - - Chris Sampson, Matt Albers and Fernando Nieve.

The bullpen is virtually the same except for veteran Russ Springer moving on. Lidge will be the closer unless he pitches like he did a year ago. Dan Wheeler is the primary setup arm to start the year and the best bet to move into the closer’s role of Lidge falters once again. Chad Qualls and Trever Miller, the left-hander, will also see a lot of seventh and eighth inning work, with Dave Borkowski in long or middle relief.

Rick White could also figure into the relief plans, as could any of the arms who don’t figure into the starting mix.

Key Player(s): The question marks at the back end of the rotation are crucial. But if Williams and/or Jennings muck it up, nobody will ever care who the fourth and fifth starters are. Burke in center will also be a focus. But for my money, the two keys are Ensberg and Lidge.

Futures: The Greek, Bodog and Pinnacle are all in agreement on the break mark for Astros wins, 78½. And both Bodog and Pinnacle are close in other futures odds, roughly 7:1 to win the NL Central, around 20:1 to win the NL and 45:1 for Houston to win their first World Series.

My projections come out on average at 77 wins, with 74 for a low and 84 for a high. However, to reach that high tide mark, the club will need for one of the unknown starters to come through with a 10-win season, or Houston will have to re-sign Clemens.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

This Astros team is not as bad of shape as you might think Willie.

I feel they can contend with St.Louis to win this Division, and maybe even win it if they stay in the race come June. If they can hang in there till then Houston will win the Clemens sweepstakes once again this year.

Needless to say I think they will go over the 78.5 win total these books have projected for them.

dirtyjock
    dirtyjock's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the astros post a better record this year than last year.

Willie Bee

So both of you feel that Lidge will be back to his old ways in the bullpen and Ensberg will return to 2005 form? That's the only way I think Houston can contend for a division crown, unless there are other players y'all think are going to have monster years.

I'm generally tougher on the Astros than any other team; hate setting myself up for disappointment. So perhaps my pessimism is guiding me on this team right now. But I'm curious to know just the how's and why's the two of you think they will reach at least into the mid-80s in the win column.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Let's think about Texas A&M's basketball team..

dirtyjock
    dirtyjock's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well i wish they would put lamb in for ensberg i hate the guy. He us either doing badass or horrible no in between with him. But the astros havent been under a .500 club the last 5+ years. I cant see how they fall under now. Oswalt,Williams,jennings, and backe maybe not sure his status. Also adding burke and lee to the batting will help alot. I wish we could do something with the catcher and ss they are both strikeouts waiting to happen.

Willie Bee

The best-case scenario for Backe would be late July, dirtyjock. And I'm not counting on him before mid-to-late August right now. Just too many if's coming back from elbow surgery that he only had last September.

I will agree with you that adding Lee's bat, along with Burke's potential for offense, could be huge. Also will agree on your all-or-none assessment of Ensberg. But he does have a history of good year-bad year-good year-bad year, and this season is his turn for a good year.

I'm not completely sold on Williams and Jennings behind Oswalt, but hope your optimism proves correct. And Lidge, well, just not sure what to think about that boy right now.

Hope you and Dan are correct. Would love to be proven wrong by this team.

Would love to talk Aggie basketball with you, gv, just not in a baseball thread.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    So both of you feel that Lidge will be back to his old ways in the bullpen
    Don't put words in my mouth Willie

I think scrap iron will know how to manage him this year (IE mop up duty)

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    Would love to talk Aggie basketball with you, gv, just not in a baseball thread.
    I meant to say, how can you have you're mind on baseball when baskets are in full effect right now.. Especially considering youre fav team is one of the frontrunners?

Willie Bee

Not sure how much of a frontrunner they are after last night. Pretty sad performance on A&M's part, though I completely understand them looking ahead to today's semis and tomorrow's Big 12 Finals.

My mind's always on baseball. It simply tolerates the invasion of other sports such as college hoops on occasion.

bigboydan

Bruntlett, Munson on the roster bubble

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- While many questions are still unanswered in Astros camp, the only two real mysteries are who will round out the rotation, and who will start on Opening Day in right field.

The rest of the issues are likely resolved, even if the club isn't making it official.

The two Erics -- Bruntlett and Munson -- are astute enough to understand that a little simple math, plus a look at the state of the pitching staff, likely means neither of them will be making the Opening Day roster.

The Astros can pretend they're considering opening the season with only 11 pitchers, but seeing that they have yet to determine who will win the fourth and fifth spots, it would be foolish to assume that they won't need an extra hand in the bullpen.

So if it comes down to keeping Bruntlett on the team or carrying a 12th pitcher, Bruntlett is clearly the odd man out. And since the only time the Astros carry three catchers is when rosters expand in September, Munson, who has caught considerably fewer games than front-runner Humberto Quintero, is probably ticketed for Triple-A Round Rock.

The difference between Munson and Bruntlett is Munson arrived to camp sensing he had a chance to make the team out of Spring Training. Bruntlett knew as soon as the club signed Mark Loretta in January that there probably wasn't any room for him.

This final week of spring games before the club heads back to Houston has been somewhat agonizing for Bruntlett. He has one more option left on his contract, but because he's been on the Astros 40-man roster for three years, he must pass through option waivers before he can be sent to the Minor Leagues.

So next week, Bruntlett, who turns 29 on Thursday, could be in Round Rock, or playing for a different Major League team, or, much less likely, he could make the cut and stay with the Astros.

"It's weird, just knowing I really don't have any chance to make the team," he said. "I would like to play in the big leagues, somewhere. I guess I'd rather [stay with the Astros], but anywhere is fine, if it's not going to be here. You try not to think about it, but it's kind of hard not to."

In Munson's case, contract status has a lot to do with why he probably won't make the team. As a non-roster invitee, the club can send him to the Minor Leagues without risking losing him. Quintero is out of options, so if the Astros wanted to send him to Round Rock, he'd have to first pass through waivers.

Also, Munson made the team last year because the Astros were relatively desperate for offense. This year's revamped lineup will allow manager Phil Garner to rely more on defense at the catcher position.

"I don't want to exclude Munson out of that," Garner said. "Obviously, I'm using 'Q' more now and 'Q' is in the lead in that hunt. But Munson continues to have a nice spring and he's been very good behind the plate."

And, Munson provides solid insurance in case something happens to Quintero or front-line catcher Brad Ausmus.

"If he doesn't make [the team], I would hope he would get a lot of catching time down there," Garner said. "He's a good option."

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Bruntlett became expendable as soon as Loretta signed. They're basically the same role for the Stros, so it wouldn't make sense to keep both realistically.

Here's how I see my hometown boys this season:

Offense: UPGRADE

Picking up Lee was obviously huge. I think Burke getting regular duty is also an advantage as I don't think we've seen the best from him offensively yet. The key as you guys have pointed out is Ensberg. If he can post 25-30 dingers and drive in close to 100, this offense is going to be pretty good. I think he'll be there because he had the injury problem which effectively killed his season last year.

Defense: DOWNGRADE

Losing Taveras in CF hurts. Burke has good speed, but no where near the arm of Wily T. At Minute Maid, I think that is going to make this team worse off. Lee in LF doesn't worry me because there's not a ton of territory to cover. The rest of the D is essentially the same.

Pitching: DOWNGRADE

A no duh assessment when you lose Pettitte and Clemens. However in the weak NL Central, if Jennings and Williams can eat innings and get the ball to the bullpen in the 7th inning or later - then the Stros will have 3 quality starters which might be more than any team in this division can say by the end of the year.

Bullpen is strong and Lidge doesn't concern me. If he doesn't ever find himself, Wheeler and Qualls are more than capable.

Overall, having a better offense will offset the loss of the SP from last season. I think the win total will be in the 80s (near last year's mark) with the potential to push toward 90 if Jennings and Williams perform well. That could win the division because the NL Central sux!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The central is gonna be a slugfest this season and it wouldn't shock me if the division winner only has 84-86 wins.