"Little roller up along first"

Tenth inning rally
    3:20:03 Gary Carter's single
    3:21:30 Kevin Mitchell's single
    3:24:25 Ray Knight drives in Gary Carter
    3:29:04 The wild pitch and tying run
    3:30:49 Bill Buckner's error

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BennyBigNuts

Minnesota Niice
    Minnesota Niice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pops was a part of it.. Good post

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32811

^
    Every Bostonian took that error personally too.

"How the phuck could Buckner do that to me"

Minnesota Niice

Lol the guy was on suicide watch and received multiple death threats.. Didn't help that him and my pops were both on Kansas City the next year.. Same clubhouse and he had the ring Bucknor should have had lol

stevenash

^
    pm me, who was your pops?

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

One of the worst nights of my life to that point. Was a sophomore in college, watching with my buddies, was at that young, vulnerable age where it's harder to handle these sports catastrophes. It's like your whole life. I remember just storming out of the dorm and walking aimlessly into the night by myself for who knows how long.

2004 was sweet, but could have used that resolution when I was younger and more emotionally invested in my teams. (Although somehow I've never lost the intensity for the Pats, maybe because football was my first love as a little kid?)
    Points Awarded:

Minnesota Niice gave Capybara 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

ed hearn?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    ed hearn?
    No, his dad isn't Hearn, but he played a nice role that season.
    I can't name the name though.

Redscot
    Redscot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5802

Rick Anderson made some nice contributions in that 1986 season. Also was a piece in getting us back David Cone.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    Rick Anderson made some nice contributions in that 1986 season. Also was a piece in getting us back David Cone.
    I hear his kid is a good guy too.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Someone post the in-game thread for that one.

Bunch of "Buckner in on fix" stuff I'd imagine.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Someone post the in-game thread for that one.

Bunch of "Buckner in on fix" stuff I'd imagine.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

Time moves fast

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

even david ortiz would have caught that one

Minnesota Niice

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    One of the worst nights of my life to that point. Was a sophomore in college, watching with my buddies, was at that young, vulnerable age where it's harder to handle these sports catastrophes. It's like your whole life. I remember just storming out of the dorm and walking aimlessly into the night by myself for who knows how long.
    This is classic

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

My friend left the game early to beat the traffic. Still talks about doing it.

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16267

The only thing I remember from that 86 series and the playoffs was that little old lady that sat behind home plate every game and rolled her fist one over the other the entire game every game at Shea. Most annoying thing I have ever seen.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

i remember watching the series with my dad at the time.....been a diehard sox fan all of his life....we were actually vacationing in florida and i was 6 at the time....we were staying at my grandmothers in daytona....he broke furniture

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post

2004 was sweet, but could have used that resolution when I was younger and more emotionally invested in my teams. (Although somehow I've never lost the intensity for the Pats, maybe because football was my first love as a little kid?)
    haha that is awesome....and i know what you mean....on the other side of it only makes things that much sweeter when they win...having to suffer the heartbreak

and i hear you with the pats....pats were my first love too.....have season tix and maybe missed 1 or 2 games from 93-99.....after the tuck game i watched the pats game at my buddies school in norton mass...which is a few miles from foxboro......completely wasted i ran out of the room into the hallways yelling like a crazy man when troy brown returned a punt for a td....and did the same after antwan harris ran back the blocked fg .......so i had to watch the superbowl up there.....i had seen the pats play the rams that year in person and we gave them a tough game...but i still had no real confidence...i go up there we watch at this huge house party...i remember being so drunk at halftime chatting with one of my friends like "wow were in this we have a shot".....when we won a group of us all fuckin mobbed each other...i caught an elbow in the jaw.....we jumped up and down like crazy....went out and partied at a local bar....where i was so drunk i was chucking darts everywhere even the main door......woke up the next day at 5pm....we still talk about it from time to time

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay777 View Post
    The only thing I remember from that 86 series and the playoffs was that little old lady that sat behind home plate every game and rolled her fist one over the other the entire game every game at Shea. Most annoying thing I have ever seen.
    That was bad.

I bet there are people here that know some unauthorized guy jumped out of an airplane and parachuted onto the field during the game.

pdubb86
    so short.. (life)
    pdubb86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Back in the days when we couldn't hedge live.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Buckner gets way too much heat for this. Game was already tied. Might have lost in extras anyway. Tying and winning run error i could understand all the negativity.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Quote Originally Posted by Kaabee View Post
    Buckner gets way too much heat for this. Game was already tied. Might have lost in extras anyway. Tying and winning run error i could understand all the negativity.
    Yep, Calvin Schiraldi was always the real culprit -- guy could not close the door. So fukking close, one strike away.

The interesting part that people don't talk about was that BEFORE the horror of the World Series choke was the ultimate HIGH of the ALCS against the (then) California Angels. Game 6, down 3-1 in the ninth and one strike away from being bounced, Dave Henderson hits a two-run homer against Donnie Moore to tie it. Then the winning homer in extras to win it. That tying homer had been one of my all-time best moments, right before the all-time worst moment to follow in the WS. What a crazy year '86 was. (Let's not forget the amazing Pats win in the Squish the Fish AFC Champ game followed by the awful 46-10 pasting by the Bears that January/February).

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Oh yeah, the good

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Buckner made the real goat, Schiraldi, look like an angel.
    Most blown out of proportion error in the history of the game.
    The wild pitch crushed them.
    Guy had a total meltdown on the mound that inning.
    Then because of the error, Schiraldi got to just sit back and blend into the background, unscathed.