Courtesywipe
    Dead1977
    Courtesywipe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 346

MLB Break News....

Bud Selig announces that MLB with use replay for virtually all baseball calls except for ball/strike calls. To start 2014.....

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

and angel hernandez will refuse to use it cause he doesn't believe in it.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

about time umps been blowing some pretty easy calls...just hope they figure away to not slow down the game too much some of these games are going 4+ hours already.

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

How many players/managers will get tossed before the replay is looked at? It might take awhile for players to understand not reacting is the best thing to do.

Also what does hit by pitch consist of? Does nicking the jersey get overturned?

Going to be some grey area...like Halo runner being called out for leaving early...he didn't. Are they going to have time elapsed video to make those calls?

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    and angel hernandez will refuse to use it cause he doesn't believe in it.
    Had a boss a bit over 1 year ago who is a huge baseball fan, he was going to let me go, then I mentioned if Angel Hernandez is able to keep his job - it is an absolute injustice for me to lose mine.

He kept me on for a few months until I found a landing spot.

Angel Hernandez is the worst official, in any sport, I have ever fukking seen. He will botch this. Selig could use a computer to call balls and strikes, and Hernandez would somehow fukk that up.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15015

How about getting better Umps?

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Had a boss a bit over 1 year ago who is a huge baseball fan, he was going to let me go, then I mentioned if Angel Hernandez is able to keep his job - it is an absolute injustice for me to lose mine.

Angel Hernandez is the worst official, in any sport, I have ever fukking seen. He will botch this. Selig could use a computer to call balls and strikes, and Hernandez would somehow fukk that up.
    Let me guess Hernadez had a huge strikezone for the A's last night and a tight one for the Astros? Did it ever enter into some of u nitwits minds that maybe he isn't that bad at all and just following orders by the league to fix games for the books who work hand and hand with one another? That game had to be the most heavily one sided bet of the night last night. Books take it.

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

C.B. Bucknor has to be the worst bar none.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    Let me guess Hernadez had a huge strikezone for the A's last night and a tight one for the Astros? Did it ever enter into some of u nitwits minds that maybe he isn't that bad at all and just following orders by the league to fix games for the books who work hand and hand with one another? That game had to be the most heavily one sided bet of the night last night. Books take it.
    Has nothing to do with last nights game. Didn't even watch that game.

Angel has been nothing but a stain on MLB. His incompetence is really unrivaled. If anyone, and I mean anyone, failed at their job as often as Angel, they'd be on the street with a clever cardboard sign.

Freaking googled Angel Hernandez, all I see are writeups of botched calls and video's to such.

Google any other active ump, ref, etc - and there won't be 1/10th of the type of shit you seen when doing the same for Angel.

Guy is a stain.
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 08-15-13 at 02:58 PM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

good idea

should improve the game

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

This will help Jerry Meals be slightly less than competent instead of just horrible.

Thor4140

Has nothing to do with last nights game. Didn't even watch that game.

Angel has been nothing but a stain on MLB. His incompetence is really unrivaled. If anyone, and I mean anyone, failed at their job as often as Angel, they'd be on the street with a clever cardboard sign.

Freaking googled Angel Hernandez, all I see are writeups of botched calls and video's to such.

Google any other active ump, ref, etc - and there won't be 1/10th of the type of shit you seen when doing the same for Angel.

Guy is a stain.
    and look at the pattern with this guy. 99 percent of his calls benefit the books. This is the part u guys just cant get thru ur heads

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    This will help Jerry Meals be slightly less than competent instead of just horrible.
    Another guy Meals on the top of my list who work for the books. I love these guys. I broke down in tears when Cousin retired this year. The guy was money when the books needed a big win.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Games will last 6 hours now instead of 4 hrs. What a joke!

mug3n
    mug3n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

too bad we can't see managers go apeshit insane anymore. bobby cox's record is safe forever

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by mug3n View Post
    too bad we can't see managers go apeshit insane anymore. bobby cox's record is safe forever
    pinella was funnier though

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15015

and look at the pattern with this guy. 99 percent of his calls benefit the books. This is the part u guys just cant get thru ur heads
    So, he's following the closing lines?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

When the pirates season went straight in the shitter two years ago after Jerry meals shit call vs atl it was all for the books

Gotta be shitty to be a pirates fan in that situation

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Baseball will improve dramatically when they no longer have home plate umpires.

The technology is there.

I hate the fact each umpire has "their own strike zone". Stupidest thing ever. Get rid of them.

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Have they said how its going to be implemented?? Hopefully it's something like NHL. They have it down.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    When the pirates season went straight in the shitter two years ago after Jerry meals shit call vs atl it was all for the books

Gotta be shitty to be a pirates fan in that situation
    penetrate

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    So, he's following the closing lines?
    Check out what Marc Cuban said back a few years ago on how the NBA refs all get notes instructing them how to call the game that givin night. Same shit happens in baseball but these guys are heros's to most of u guys and you would rather lose ur money then find out that maybe all this gambling shit is not on the up and up.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
    Have they said how its going to be implemented?? Hopefully it's something like NHL. They have it down.
    Each team gets one challenge before the 7th inning and two from the 7th inning until the end of the game. Any successful challenge will not go against their total used.

Too many IMO but better that than not at all.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Proof?

mug3n
    mug3n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
    they're doing a challenge system like the NFL, but the calls will be reviewed through the MLB office in NY rather than on site.

calmeat
    calmeat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1849

Honestly i do like the replay but for the most part just making the umps swallow their pride and conferring with the other umps before making a call would help greatly. So many times i see one guy blow a call and that's it the other umps dont come in and have a conference like they do in nfl to see if anyone saw anything different. So many obvious blown calls can be worked out that way. But agree having a central office watching the game and making those calls on the fly will def be nice. I wonder how the office will communicate to the umps on a blown call not challenged. Say someone is stealing second and its a close play, runner is called out no one "challenges" it but at the office the guy sees the runners hand reach the bag before the tag is applied. how is that gonna work?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by calmeat View Post
    Honestly i do like the replay but for the most part just making the umps swallow their pride and conferring with the other umps before making a call would help greatly. So many times i see one guy blow a call and that's it the other umps dont come in and have a conference like they do in nfl to see if anyone saw anything different. So many obvious blown calls can be worked out that way. But agree having a central office watching the game and making those calls on the fly will def be nice. I wonder how the office will communicate to the umps on a blown call not challenged. Say someone is stealing second and its a close play, runner is called out no one "challenges" it but at the office the guy sees the runners hand reach the bag before the tag is applied. how is that gonna work?
    Nfl is based on challenge system and teams sometimes don't challenge calls that they should. Play goes on. What's so complicated about that?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32787

Now in his 14th season in the MLB, Bucknor is consistently ranked as one of the worst umpires in baseball by players, most recently in a 2010 ESPN poll.
    In an anonymous survey of 100 MLB players, 42 percent named CB Bucknor on their ballots; the highest of any ump in the big leagues.

• In a 2003 Sports Illustrated survey of 550 active major league players, Bucknor was voted as the worst umpire in MLB, with 20.7% of the vote
    • In an updated 2006 SI survey, Bucknor was again voted MLB's worst umpire, with 21% of the players' votes.
    • In a 2010 ESPN survey of 100 active players taken after Jim Joyce's blown call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game, Bucknor was once again named the worst umpire in baseball (while Joyce was named the best).

He was also the worst-rated umpire in both the American and National League—so consensus on the field seems to be Bucknor needs to step up his game.

stevenash

Check out what Marc Cuban said back a few years ago on how the NBA refs all get notes instructing them how to call the game that givin night. Same shit happens in baseball but these guys are heros's to most of u guys and you would rather lose ur money then find out that maybe all this gambling shit is not on the up and up.
    You are actually onto somethig with your post.
    Not each and every game is completly on the up and up, but all you need to do is get to is get a hold of the umpiring rotation, and 'get' to the next nights HPU the previous day. I will say this one more time, pay attention to 'clearly blown' third stike calls on 2-2 pitches that was so obious Ray Charles could have gotten right, only to have stirke 3 get called ball 3.

Now instead of the batter riding the pine after striking out, he's got the pitcher 3 and 2, and the pitcher has to come into the batter or he's going to walk.

Baseball is a religion to me, I have seen oh so many times a blown 2-2 pitch, become a 3-2 that was right down the middle for a strikeout, only to have the batter cream the full count pitch.

Watch enough games, you pick up on these things.

Now having said that, there are 162 games played by each and every of the 30 teams.
    That's close to 5000 games played a season. You don't have 4800 and change 'fix job' You don't even have 480 fix jobs. But, it does happen, talk to Hall of Fame Wade Boggs sometime. He can tell a few interesting stories.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    Proof?
    common sense is proof. What separates a guy like me who can smell out a scam a mile away, from most guys wouldn't notice a scam if it bite ya's in the face.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    You are actually onto somethig with your post.
    Not each and every game is completly on the up and up, but all you need to do is get to is get a hold of the umpiring rotation, and 'get' to the next nights HPU the previous day. I will say this one more time, pay attention to 'clearly blown' third stike calls on 2-2 pitches that was so obious Ray Charles could have gotten right, only to have stirke 3 get called ball 3.

Now instead of the batter riding the pine after striking out, he's got the pitcher 3 and 2, and the pitcher has to come into the batter or he's going to walk.

Baseball is a religion to me, I have seen oh so many times a blown 2-2 pitch, become a 3-2 that was right down the middle for a strikeout, only to have the batter cream the full count pitch.

Watch enough games, you pick up on these things.

Now having said that, there are 162 games played by each and every of the 30 teams.
    That's close to 5000 games played a season. You don't have 4800 and change 'fix job' You don't even have 480 fix jobs. But, it does happen, talk to Hall of Fame Wade Boggs sometime. He can tell a few interesting stories.
    Nash im not on to something that i wasn't onto 25 years ago.

Thor4140

There will never ever ever ever be a day where u will see a computer call balls or strikes. This would take away a huge weapon and best weapon umpires use, for the league to rig games. People stop crying about bad umps, bad nba refs, bad NFL refs or bad judging in MMA. All this bad stuff always favors the books. There lies your problem. Take away gambling on these games and u would see the best umps, refs, judges in the world. Go watch high School sports if ya want to see good officiating unless the ump has kids on one of the teams lol.

stevenash

^
    Wade Boggs is goofy, I get that, but he's a baseball genius.
    He can tell you about certain baseballs used during the game, some are spongy, some are wound up like a top, each ball does certain things.
    A spongier ball is not going over the fence, unless *crushed* a wound up ball will sail over the wall that normally dies at the warning track.
    Wade Boggs likes a little action too, just not on bases.

Thor4140

^
    He can tell you about certain baseballs used during the game, some are spongy, some are wound up like a top, each ball does certain things.
    A spongier ball is not going over the fence, unless *crushed* a wound up ball will sail over the wall that normally dies at the warning track.
    Been saying that for years Nash. Go watch a game where a team is being bet huge and then watch them hit fly balls that should be 500 ft homers. Why u think the Home Run derby never has the guy everyone bets win? They show u what they do with the balls in Colorado with the humidor. I forget the game but it was against Boston. I had this shit team against Boston. Hanging in there two to one in the ninth and big Papi is up. He hits this ball 3000 feet but it ends up before the warning track. He turns around shaking his head in amazement. This is when Papi was all juiced up. I see the ball go up and im like fuk this shit team killed me tonight but then i see my right fielder coming down with the catch. Study umps and watch what they do with balls. I bet if u go to a game that the books really want and u focus on the umps, u will see all kinds of shit with him screwing with the balls. Probably going to the dugout between innings.

Thor4140

^
    Guys like Boggs who don't know it is rigged get shunned after their careers for opening up their mouths. Why Pete Rose is still banned. Pete gambled on games on his own and only the league is allowed to do that for their bookmakers who they get a kick back from. The punishment is so harsh because baseball wants to look good about gambling when they are more crooked than Rose. This is a trillion dollar business world wide. Who in their right mind would think this was all on the up and up with not a hint of corruption.

12 Last