bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't sign him Seattle

Jeff Weaver reported to be signing with Seattle.

This guy is gonna get lit up like a pinball machine over in the AL.

bigboydan

Heres the story on this guys:

SEATTLE (AP) -- Jeff Weaver is close to finding a home with the Seattle Mariners.

The Mariners are closing in on a deal with the 30-year-old right-hander, a baseball official close to the negotiations said Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the contract had not yet been agreed to.

Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi has repeatedly said the Mariners would like to add a starting pitcher. Weaver's agent, Scott Boras, was traveling Thursday and didn't immediately return a telephone message.

Weaver, who made $8,325,000 last season, is a one-time phenom for the Detroit Tigers who was waived by the Los Angeles Angels last season after he went 3-10 in 16 starts. Weaver then went 5-4 in 15 starts with St. Louis, finishing with an overall regular-season ERA of 5.76.

But in the postseason, Weaver resurrected his career by helping the Cardinals win the World Series. He had a victory in each round of the Cardinals' playoffs, and he dominated for eight innings in the Game 5 title clincher against the Detroit Tigers.

After that surge, Weaver said he wanted to stay in St. Louis, which has made the playoffs in six of the last seven seasons. He at least sounded like he did not want to join a team that has finished last in its division for three consecutive seasons, like Seattle.

"Why wouldn't you if you have the opportunity to have the chance to do this each and every year?" Weaver said in October. "This is what we play for, to have the chance to win, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

The Mariners missed on signing several free agent pitchers they were seeking earlier this offseason, such as Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt. They've instead been settling for Miguel Batista, who turns 36 next month, and little-known Horacio Ramirez, acquired from Atlanta for primary setup man Rafael Soriano.

Both deals were widely ridiculed in the Northwest for being inadequate upgrades to a rotation trying to fill three holes for this season.

The Mariners also are bringing back Arthur Rhodes. The 37-year-old left-hander agreed Thursday to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

"You can never have too much left-handed pitching in the bullpen. Since I've been here, we've never had the bullpen as balanced as we would like," said Bavasi, who took the job in 2003. "We fully expect him to be on the club. If his stuff was the same as it was last year, he'll be more than fine here."

Bavasi said Rhodes will likely fill a variety of bullpen roles, from middle and long relief to setting up closer J.J. Putz.

Earlier this month, Seattle added Chris Reitsma to be a setup man -- but Reitsma is recovering from elbow surgery last summer.

The only proven left-hander in the Mariners' bullpen is George Sherrill, who was 2-4 with a 4.28 ERA in a team-high 72 appearances last year.

Rhodes, who pitched for the Mariners during their winning days of 2000-03, was 0-5 with a 5.32 ERA in 55 games for Philadelphia last season. He missed the final three weeks of the season with an injured pitching elbow.

Rhodes said he began throwing again off a mound three weeks ago following what he called "just a little sprain."

"I'm excited, man. I'm excited to be back there," Rhodes said on the telephone from Baltimore, his offseason home. My style never changes. I still pitch inside. I still use all my pitches."

Now, he will try to rediscover the form that made him a standout in Seattle from 2000-03. Rhodes was 26-15 in his four seasons as Seattle's main setup man, including an 8-0 record with a 1.72 ERA in 71 games during the 2001 season, when the Mariners won 116 games.

After leaving Seattle, Rhodes made stops in Oakland, Cleveland and Baltimore. He spent his first nine seasons with Baltimore, beginning his career as a starter.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Weaver pitched well down the stretch and Seattle is a great pitchers park. I think he would be a decent fit.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

But I think Dan is right, the AL will feast off him. I just dont see him carrying over that performance he had at the end of last season.

Would be nice to see him pitch well for the Mariners though.

bigboydan

The only incentive Weaver has this year is he's playing for a long term deal this year.

Peyton2MarvinN06
    Peyton2MarvinN06's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    This guy is gonna get lit up like a pinball machine over in the AL.
    Dan, I couldn't help, but get a nice chuckle out of your statement and I could not agree more... Weaver was gettin banged around most of the season in STL before he got hot late in the season and the playoffs... I think that the Mariners outfielders better have their track shoes on because they will just be running for balls in the gap or looking up to see another ball over the fence! Weaver increased his value a ton in the post-season, but I think he'll be back to his old tactics back in the AL...

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

The only incentive Weaver has this year is he's playing for a long term deal this year.
    That can be a huge incentive for some players. The guy was no doubt embarrassed last year to get waived in order for the Angels to make room for his little brother. Will he be as dominant as he was in the playoffs for an entire year? No, but how many pitchers are? Can he be a viable #3 arm for some rotation for several years to come? Yes.

bigboydan

What really gets me about this signing Willie. It's the fact that Weaver make it crystal clear that he wanted a two-year deal, and said it wasn't about the money at all. He went on to say also he wanted to feel like he was actually part of a team.

He can have all the incentive in the world. However, he goes back to the same division that lit his ass up last year. What even makes it worse for him though is that he will be facing the Halo's lineup instead of the M's lineup. I don't know what you think about this one, but that spells disaster IMO.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Well Im sure we will see a Weaver vs Weaver match up soon enough. I think little brother would be a -200 favorite, no matter where they play. Unless younger Weaver has a sophomore slump.

Willie Bee

What really gets me about this signing Willie. It's the fact that Weaver make it crystal clear that he wanted a two-year deal, and said it wasn't about the money at all. He went on to say also he wanted to feel like he was actually part of a team.
    Don't ever believe anyone, pro athlete or not, who says it's not about the money. It is always about the money. Whether it's regular Joe's interviewing for a sales job or politicians talking about whether they will support a piece of legislation or athletes and their agents negotiating a new contract, it is ALWAYS about the money, one way or another.

Everyone also would rather have two years of security over one year of security. Weaver's no different than everyone else in that regard.

bigboydan

I would agree with that statement Willie. However, I just have to wonder if this was just a Scott Boris type decision instead of a Weaver decision. The only reason I even bring this one up is because, Weaver did sound very sincere with him comments.

Willie Bee

Scott Boras is the antichrist of baseball. I'm sure that someone will chime in with the old, "But he's just watching out for his client" argument. Right, and George W. Bush is just looking out for the welfare of the US of A