onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

MLB - White Sox buy out Big Hurt for $3.5Mil

He has been off and on the IR list to much anyway. So this is a good time for the Sox to move on, after winning a Championship.

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox bought out Frank Thomas for $3.5 million on Friday, making the best slugger in team history eligible for free agency.

The 37-year-old Thomas exercised a $10 million mutual option for next season on Monday, giving the team five days to decide whether to exercise its half. The White Sox could try to re-sign the two-time AL MVP for less money.

"There should be no question about the respect this organization has for Frank and all that he has helped us accomplish, including a World Series championship," general manager Ken Williams said in a statement. "He is the greatest hitter in White Sox history. At the same time, it is my responsibility to make the best decisions I can on behalf of the organization. Our plan now is to continue to speak with Frank and his representatives over the coming months as more information is known about his health."

Thomas, who has missed most of the past two years with foot and ankle problems, hit .219 with 12 homers in just 105 at-bats last season. He missed the first two months while recovering from surgery on his left ankle, then broke the ankle in July, ending his season.

A career .307 hitter with 448 homers and 1,465 RBI, Thomas is the team's leader in most offensive categories. He has spent his entire career with the White Sox and has said he wants to return.

"Obviously, our hopes are still that we'll be able to work something out with the White Sox. It would be ideal to see Frank retire as a White Sox," said Thomas' agent, Arn Tellem.

Tellem also said that Thomas, who had his foot examined in Los Angeles on Thursday, is "feeling good."

"I heard overall it was very positive," Tellem said.

In another move, Chicago agreed to a $650,000, one-year contract with backup catcher Chris Widger, a $150,000 raise from his base salary this year.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

nice little retirement money for the Big Hurt who has been transitioning himself into retirement the past three years anyway.

I wish the university would buy my contract out like this

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of the most underrated players of our generation. The guy could have been a legend if not for injuries late in his stellar career.

Senator 7

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

senator, I agree...this guy was absolutely awesome in his prime...

ryarboro
    ryarboro's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, I guess it begs the question...

.307 career batting average
    448 career homeruns
    1,465 career RBIs
    1,327 runs
    2,136 hits

Is the Big Hurt HOF material if he retired right now??

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

nope, i think he would need at least 500 home runs first. before they would even think about considering him. IMHOO

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    nope, i think he would need at least 500 home runs first. before they would even think about considering him. IMHOO
    And maybe 3000 hits to go along with 500 homers. He will need to play a few more years to be considered I think.

bigboydan

i still don't think he's done just yet. he's still has market value and, somebody will probly take a chance on him.

ryarboro
    ryarboro's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah, I don't think he is done yet in a DH type of role...I mean, the man hit 42 homers and drove in 105 runs just two years ago...

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15360

Thomas makes the HOF. He was the best player in the majors some years when he was in his prime.

bigboydan

raiders, it's gonna take more than the numbers he has right now, if he wants to get into the HOF. IMHOO

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ryarboro
    Well, I guess it begs the question...

.307 career batting average
    448 career homeruns
    1,465 career RBIs
    1,327 runs
    2,136 hits

Is the Big Hurt HOF material if he retired right now??
    Not to mention of all of those walks and his on base percentage. He is very underrated.