Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!
    Barnes & Whine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Red Sox homecoming: One hell of an angle.

Sox on a win streak now, and after the tragedy at the marathon, will be playing a home game against the Royals. Buchholz getting the start.....is this going to be a solid win for the rolling Red Sox??

Or Will KC spoil it for Boston Strong?

Red Sox -135
    Royals +125

If you think Boston wins the series and the game, reply: Sweet Caroline...

If you think the Royals will upset the Red Sox explain why......
    Last edited by Barnes & Whine; 04-19-13 at 05:12 AM.

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!
    Barnes & Whine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Guys, this is a huge example of how real life events can have an emotional impact on a game and possibly affect its outcome.

Just admit it....

Boston obviously has an emotional advantage because of the crowd and the city supporting them and they want to win for the home crowd for obvious reasons.

Im not saying throw everything you got on Boston here, but definitely worth making a decent size play. Buchholz has been good so far. I think he will have a great year.

Im thinking about betting the series too, prices not out yet for 5dimes.

HardCore
    I Win Some, I Lose Less
    HardCore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

i'm leaning boston as well for tonight. The series is a whole nother thing tho

Fader
    Sharpsville County
    Fader's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1234

Don't forget what happened with the Bruins the other night.

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

Oh man there will be so many threads like this today. Everyone and their sister will be on boston tonight.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by Fader View Post
    Don't forget what happened with the Bruins the other night.
    After watching the Bruins blow it vs the Sabres the other night, following a national anthem that nearly blew the roof off, i want nothing to do with this angle. I do not believe that professional athletes "try harder" or "are more focused" because of something like this. Besides, baseball is like golf: gripping and putting extra effort into something like this isn't necessarily a good thing. Seems like a more legit angle for more physical sports, and if it didn't translate in hockey, forget about baseball.

dmiles1021
    YouWager.eu
    dmiles1021's Avatar Become A Pro!

hmmm royals are good...im just gonna be rooting for sox tho. gl whatever you do

Ron29301
    This is What I Do Do...
    Ron29301's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 364

Quote Originally Posted by dmiles1021 View Post
    hmmm royals are good...im just gonna be rooting for sox tho. gl whatever you do
    Royals gotta score runs to win. The B-Sox's know how to score runs.

Bdolan33
    Bdolan33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2224

Baseball isnt won on energy and motivation. this aint football or basketball

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Quote Originally Posted by Bdolan33 View Post
    This

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Quote Originally Posted by Bdolan33 View Post
    good point.

but I'm a huge believer of psychological angles in sports. this book i read;
    Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won

http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-H.../dp/0307591808

explains it very well. it's not so much about the players or the ball, it's more about the collective desire of everyone(crowd, umps, even players) wanting Boston to win.

does this mean Boston will win for SURE? No. did i bet Boston ONLY because of this angle? Of course not.

dmiles1021
    YouWager.eu

game probably wont be played. i live in boston and the whole city is on lockdown...streets look like a ghost town.

EVPlus
    EVPlus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

I played this angle on the first game between Boston and Cleveland a few days back. I liked it enough to bet a unit on it.

Now, I'm less certain on the strength of this angle. I would definitely factor it in when I cap the game today but it will NOT play a significant role.

Others have used the same angle on the recent Celtics and Bruins games and look how that turned out.

So the one interesting angle within the angle (and feel free to laugh at me for this) is that the Red Sox may collectively have a sense that THEY are the pro team that are the flag bearers for the city.

Ultimately, whether or not I choose to play Boston tonight depends on the fundamentals I've always used: pitching/batting/bp stats; injury reports; sdql trend findings; home ump. Yes, the angle you mentioned as well as my angle within the angle will play a role in my situational analysis but they will not be the driving factor.

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did the Mets and Yanks win at home after 9/11? Event was 100x the magnitude so the 'emotional impact' would have to be even greater for the players right? Or did 9/11 have no impact on the game besides the opening ceremony where they broadcasted the national anthem lol

I love all the 'angles' and 'trends' around here

EVPlus

Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    good point.

but I'm a huge believer of psychological angles in sports. this book i read;
    Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won

http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-H.../dp/0307591808

explains it very well. it's not so much about the players or the ball, it's more about the collective desire of everyone(crowd, umps, even players) wanting Boston to win.

does this mean Boston will win for SURE? No. did i bet Boston ONLY because of this angle? Of course not.
    Motivation plays a role in ALL sports. Baseball is no different. It's just how motivated a given team is and whether or not they have the ability to channel that motivation is where the fundamentals come in. Sure a team can be inspired as if touched by God - but if they don't have the talent, all they will get is a 'good try' and not a Hollywood ending. If the team has the talent to convert that motivation and if they opponent is approximately similar or below in their skillset, it can and should be factored in as one of the determining factors on whether to play, fade, or pass.

EVPlus

Quote Originally Posted by onacloud View Post
    Did the Mets and Yanks win at home after 9/11? Event was 100x the magnitude so the 'emotional impact' would have to be even greater for the players right? Or did 9/11 have no impact on the game besides the opening ceremony where they broadcasted the national anthem lol

It's true that most 'angles' and 'trends' you seen on this or any other capping site are usually wild goose chases. However, relying on pure stats alone won't get the job done either; if that was the case every statistician and actuary and math geek would be sipping margaritas on their own yacht. It's the ability merge the angles, trends, stats, whittle out what's irrelevant, and sound money management that wins long term.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Yeah yankees and mets b oth won
    Quote Originally Posted by onacloud View Post

dmiles1021
    YouWager.eu

stop talking about it...there isnt gonna be a game tonight

dmiles1021
    YouWager.eu

everyone happy they wasted their time? morons