Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Zito to San Fran

So much for the Mets, Yanks and Rangers...the Giants are reportedly giving Barry Zito about $18 million per in a 7-year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2710389

Barry Zito is staying in the Bay Area with the San Francisco Giants.

Sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons that the former Oakland A's pitcher has agreed to a seven-year contract from the Giants. The $126 million deal averages approximately $18 million per season. Zito will be formally introduced by the Giants on Friday.

The deal, agreed to late Wednesday night, includes an $18 million option for 2014 that could increase the value to $144 million, an unidentified source told The Associated Press.

Gammons reports that the left-hander picked the Giants over the Rangers, Mets, Yankees and Mariners. In additon, sources told Gammons that the Yankees never made a formal offer.

Zito is 102-63 in 222 career starts, including a 16-10 mark with a 3.83 ERA in 34 starts last season before becoming a free agent.

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound 28-year-old was drafted in the first round, ninth overall, by the A's in 1999 and made his debut the following season. By 2002 he was a star, making his first All-Star team and winning the American League Cy Young award. His 23-5 record led the league and he also boasted a 2.75 ERA.

Zito was also an All-Star in 2003 and last season.

Zito helped the A's to the playoffs in his first four seasons, but Oakland lost in the divison series every time. Only last season did the A's bread through, beating the Twins in the ALDS before losing to the Tigers in the American League Championship Series. Zito's postseason career record is a mere 1-5, but he boasts a 3.25 ERA.

Zito has been known for his durability. His 173 starts over the past five years rank first in Major League Baseball.

In his career, Zito's accomplishments have earned him approximately $18 million, the amount he will reportedly make per season with the Giants.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't believe the Giants gave him that much. However, what gets me even more is I can't believe how many years they gave him.

Why in the world would any team give a pitcher a 7 year deal like that.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Zito is very overrated in my opinion and the Giants made a huge mistake. 18 million a year is an absolute joke.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Last time I remember a longterm, huge deal like this for an arm was also a lefty, Mike Hampton, and it sure didn't work out for the Rockies. Zito's been pretty healthy, but I still wouldn't give a pitcher more than about a 4-year deal.

bigboydan

What about Kevin Brown Willie.

He got a 7 year deal and look at how that 7 year contract turned out.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The only thing Zito has in his favor is that most of the NL West parks are very pitcher friendly.

Yoshi
    Yoshi's Avatar Become A Pro!

The money mlb players get is just crazy, you dont even risk serious injuries when throwing a ball...unlike soccer etc.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Even though Zito is only 28, I still think he's past his prime. I think the Giants overpaid. Zito isn't worth more than $10 million a year.

P.S. How often do these record setting deals ever work out? Look at A-Rod.
    Last edited by Tchocky; 12-29-06 at 01:46 PM.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14461

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    The money mlb players get is just crazy, you dont even risk serious injuries when throwing a ball...unlike soccer etc.
    only risk serious injuries when throwing a game, LOL . . .

bigboydan

He wouldn't do that checkerboard. He stop his criminal activities after getting busted boosted car stereos in his youth