bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Explain this signing Cubs fans

How in the world can the Chicago Cubs justify paying Ted Lilly 40 million dollars over the next 4 years.

This signing ranks right up there with the Blue Jays signing of AJ Burnett last year, as completely stupid IMO

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

There's nothing in the real world that compares to what goes on in professional sports.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cubs are so desperate for pitching they are willing to pay through the nose for it.

bigboydan

You know after looking at this outragous contract. I don't feel it's as bas as the one Gil Meche just signed with KC today. Meche recieved roughly 55 million dollars over 5 years from the Royal which is totally obsured. Of both Lilly and Meche's contracts which one is the better bargin in your opinion, because I feel there both nuts.

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Better bargain? ... Neither is a bargain.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would say Lilly is the better bargain just because he is the better pitcher.

From a money making point of view, both of these pitchers are smart. Go to the 2 worst teams in baseball and get overpaid.

bigboydan

I just can not believe that these GM's just look at a guys stats, and pay that type of money. I think Jr. Seau said it best a few years back. He said if he was a GM he would not only look at a players stats, but the charactor of the player. He went onto say that some of these guys won't give the 100% effort every game, and those are the types of players he wouldn't want. Both these guys fall into that catagory of players Seau wouldn't want.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Well since MLB teams are throwing out money like this. I know what sport to get my son to like.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Ted Lilly...59 wins, 58 losses, 4.60 ERA lifetime

$10,000,000 per year.....

Wow.....Meanwhile, up here in Toronto the papers are going on about how the Jays lost out on the Ted Lilly "sweepstakes", I kid you not.....Sweepstakes.....

bigboydan

Stumpage, They were talking about that on ESPN news yesterday as well. They went onto say they were the big losers at the winter meetings this year. If you want my opinion, I thought they were the big losers at least years meetings too

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Well BBD, they did "solidify" their catching position by locking up Gregg Zahn for 2 years at $7,000,000.....Yikes.....If he's getting that type of money, maybe it's not too late for me to put on a pair of shinguards and work on blocking some balls in the dirt.....

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    You know after looking at this outragous contract. I don't feel it's as bas as the one Gil Meche just signed with KC today. Meche recieved roughly 55 million dollars over 5 years from the Royal which is totally obsured. Of both Lilly and Meche's contracts which one is the better bargin in your opinion, because I feel there both nuts.
    It probably sounds stupid, but I like the Meche signing. Under the radar, he is becoming a very good pitcher, and - while he isn't worth $11 million per year - that team can score some runs, and if they can get any pitching at all, they will be better than people think. Meche could win 15 games honestly.
    The Lilly signing is a disaster.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I agree with Razz, Meche's contract isn't that crazy in regards to the current market. GM has solid stuff and definitely has a high ceiling. Lilly, on the other hand, got at least half of what he did purely based on the fact that he's a left handed pitcher.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

This year a ton of average pitchers are making some $$$

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow were we wrong about these two guys.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Wow were we wrong about these two guys.

I'll admit it Razz... I was wrong so far, but the year isn't over just yet. Lets not pre-judge things based on the first month and a half of the season. For all we know they can still bomb.

BTW, I still say Lilly is overpaid though.