bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

No way McGwire gets 31% of vote!

Current Odds: All Odds Subject To Change

Will Mark McGwire Be Voted Into Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007?

No, he won’t qualify on first ballot 1/18

Yes, he’ll make HOF in 2007 15/1

What Percent Of HOF Voters Will Vote For Mark McGwire?

Over 31% of voters 11/10

Under 31% of voters 5/4

Mcgwire a 15/1 long shot to make baseball hall of fame in 2007
    PinnacleSports.com Lays Odds On Mark McGwire’s Cooperstown Chances

WILLEMSTAD, CURACAO (December 6, 2006)—When he retired following the 2001 season, Mark McGwire appeared to be a first ballot lock into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Since his retirement, McGwire refused to answer questions about using performance enhancing drugs during his Major League career on Capitol Hill as baseball’s steroid scandal came to the forefront. Now that McGwire’s name appears on the ballot for the first time, several hall of fame voters have already openly claimed they will not vote the slugger into the Hall given the questions surrounding his potential steroid use. With McGwire’s controversial nomination making headlines, PinnacleSports.com today announced odds on Big Mac’s Cooperstown chances including if he’ll be elected into the Hall of Fame this year.

The largest sports betting site on the Internet, PinnacleSports.com currently lists McGwire as a distant 15/1 long shot to join the ranks of baseball’s all-time greats by being inducted into the Hall in 2007. Despite ranking seventh on the career list with 583 home runs, the odds are severely against the former Oakland and St. Louis first baseman having his plaque hung in Cooperstown in 2007 at 1/18 odds. Following an informal survey of baseball writers which indicated that only one in four planned to vote for McGwire, PinnacleSports.com has created an over/under line on the percent of Hall of Fame voters that will select Big Mac, which stands at just 31 percent.

“Mark McGwire’s statistics alone indicate that he’s a surefire Hall of Famer, but there’s a clause on the ballot telling voters to also consider character when selecting players for the sport’s highest honor,” said Simon Noble of PinnacleSports.com. “Although he never tested positive for a banned substance, allegations that McGwire used steroids during his playing career have severely tainted his reputation and may have damaged his Cooperstown chances beyond repair. Bettors certainly don’t like Big Mac’s prospects of being a first ballot Hall of Famer, as nearly all bets placed to date have been against him joining Cooperstown’s class of 2007.”

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

When do they vote and how confident are you?

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Betting either way on what the BBWAA will do is a risky business. I'd rather give you the points and Ohio State, Dan, than bet on how the hypocrites and loons within the BBWAA will or won't vote.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Looks like the low cashed in with ease on this one guys. He only received 23.5 percent of the vote this time around.

I personally am glad to see the writers are putting him thru hell after the crap he pulled during those hearings.

tennis_balls
    tennis_balls's Avatar Become A Pro!

"My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family and myself,"

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Screw mcgwire and bonds too

When I was a kid and starting colecting baseball cards was around the rookie years of these 2 jerkoffs and in the cards you can't tell who is the bat and who is holding the bat they were both skinny twirps. mcgwire was a 40/40 person for the A's and him and canseco were referred to as the bash brothers bonds was always a good player also but now to see them they look like they came from the land of the giants. Also it is a disgrace the big show put on with maris's family when mcgwire hit the HR record.
    A natural great player from around the era of mcgwire and bonds is KEN GRIFFEY Jr.
    This is the same as merriman with the pro bowl without enhancements he may not had 16 sacks in 11 games. Hence the word enhancements, glad taylor spoke up and put it out there.
    It is fine if people decide to use juice but they shouldn't expect recognition for outstanding play when they do.
    Mcgwire will never get into the hall of fame.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Great call Dan. You are our resident seasoned veteran!!

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame
    who gives a rats ass if he gambled he was a great player
    mcgwire on the other hand juicing up to play better penetrate him, out side looking in for good.