16johnnymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1412

The Rats trade hanrahan to Boston

Check out Espn for details Jerry Sands in the trade

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Joel Hanrahan now with Red Sox

4:03pm: As it stands, the deal will be a six-player swap with four players going to Pittsburgh and two headed to Boston, according to Heyman (via Twitter).

3:34pm: The Red Sox and Pirates have agreed to a deal that will send Joel Hanrahan to Boston, according to Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (on Twitter) Jerry Sands and Stolmy Pimentel will go to Pittsburgh in the swap and there will be more players involved in the deal. There will be two more players headed to the Bucs in the deal, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter).

Hanrahan, 31, pitched to a 2.72 ERA with 10.1 K/9 and 5.4 BB/9 in 59 2/3 innings for Pittsburgh last season. Despite having a reputation as a strong closer, some rival evaluators have been concerned about his conditioning and recent proclivity for walks. Hanrahan's walk rate climbed from 2.1 BB/9 in 2011 to 5.4 BB/9 in 2012, though he has been an All-Star in each of the last two years.

Matt Swartz projects Hanrahan to earn $6.9MM through arbitration this winter after pulling down $4.1MM in 2012. He is scheduled to become a free agent after 2013, and Brian MacPherson of The Providence Journal notes the right-hander will not net the Red Sox a compensation draft pick if he signs elsewhere based on the assumption Hanrahan will accept a pricey qualifying offer (Twitter links).

Sands came to the Red Sox in their summer blockbuster trade with the Dodgers as one of the players to be named later. The 25-year-old outfielder/first baseman owns a Triple-A batting line of .288/.362/.552 with 55 home runs in 940 plate appearances across the past two years. Sands also has 70 big league games to his credit, most of which came in 2011.

Pimentel, 22, was rated as the No. 6 prospect in the Red Sox's organization in 2010 by Baseball America but was bumped down to No. 23 the following year. The 6'3" right-hander boasts a strong changeup but has failed to impress at the Double-A level. In 37 starts for Double-A Portland, the youngster has posted a 5.96 ERA with 6.3 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9. Alex Speier of WEEI.com notes that Pimentel was targeted by the Pirates in 2008 as part of the three-way deal with the Dodgers and Red Sox that resulted in Manny Ramirez going to LA and Jason Bay coming to Pittsburgh, but the Sox refused to include him.

Andrew Bailey, Boston's incumbent closer, pitched to a 7.04 ERA in 15 1/3 innings in 2012 while missing most of the year with injuries. WEEI.com's Rob Bradford reports they have not discussed free agent Rafael Soriano despite having a protected first round pick. The Dodgers were among the teams with interest in Hanrahan in recent weeks.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#stx2fptrUVM8rMzk.99

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14368

Its going to be a Loooooooooong season for the Bosox.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3609

Can't get any confirmation the deal is done. Heard the deal got stalled when the Rats demanded Jose Iglesias in the mix.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

note, the physicals wont be completed til after christmas, so it wont be official for a few days.

im undecided on this deal, hanrahan was an all star last 2 years but not so sure he deserved it last year. sands could be decent, pimentel sounds like a waste, will have to wait to see the other players involved til i make my decision on this deal.

grilli a 37 year old will be the closer next season.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Can't get any confirmation the deal is done. Heard the deal got stalled when the Rats demanded Jose Iglesias in the mix.
    actually espn mlb say close, postgazette said done deal, so it looks like its not thru yet.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    Its going to be a Loooooooooong season for the Bosox.
    how do u think us pirate fans feel we say that every year

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I can't Imagine that Iglesais would be included - if so Cherington should be fired on the spot. Sands may well be a solid hitter if he gets a chance and Pimentel has seen his potential fizzel out the last couple of years (he's still just 22 and throw low to mid 90's).

But giving anything of value for a 32 year old reliever who has issues with control and will make about 7m next year isn't really a good deal under about any circumstance.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3609

Sox must have some concerns about Bailey closing or they wouldn't make this deal. It definitely deepens the bullpen. Always a good idea to strengthen your bullpen when your starting pitching is as shaky as the Boston five.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    I can't Imagine that Iglesais would be included - if so Cherington should be fired on the spot. Sands may well be a solid hitter if he gets a chance and Pimentel has seen his potential fizzel out the last couple of years (he's still just 22 and throw low to mid 90's).

But giving anything of value for a 32 year old reliever who has issues with control and will make about 7m next year isn't really a good deal under about any circumstance.
    Why?

The Drew should tell you what Boston thinks of Iglesias. He has no future in Boston and very minimal trade value at this point.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

final deal

bosox get Hanrahan and Brock Holt

Bucs get Mark Melancon, Jerry Sands, Stolmy Pimental, Ivan Dejesus

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    final deal

bosox get Hanrahan and Brock Holt

Bucs get Mark Melancon, Jerry Sands, Stolmy Pimental, Ivan Dejesus
    Those are the only useable parts in this deal. The rest are garbage.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Sox practically stole him. Great deal for them!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Sox practically stole him. Great deal for them!

Sox fans have quickly forgotten about Reddick and company for Bailey I guess.

as a Pirate Fan i'm always glad to trade Bullpen arms. I'm actually more bummed about having to throw Holt into the deal.

He's a fun kid to root for

bill2266
    steelers
    bill2266's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

im also was mad seeing Holt go but i thinks we got a good trde there

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Melancon could be a solid reliever. His ERA was skewed by 4-5 rough outings. He was solid with Houston in 2011 and I'm guessing odds-on to be given a shot at closing for Pittsburgh.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

i wish they didnt throw holt in myself but nowhere to put him the way he fields. hanrahan will get shelled in the american league east, just a hunch, he was shaky at times last season. he also has never played in a big pressure place like boston, nationals sucked when he was there.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Melancon could be a solid reliever. His ERA was skewed by 4-5 rough outings. He was solid with Houston in 2011 and I'm guessing odds-on to be given a shot at closing for Pittsburgh.

only if Grilli fails

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    Why?

The Drew should tell you what Boston thinks of Iglesias. He has no future in Boston and very minimal trade value at this point.
    Yea, signing drew for a 1 year deal shows that the Sox with think that a 23 year old player with less than 3 years of professional experience and less than 1000 PA may not be ready for a full time job at the Major league level, the only way Iglesias dosen't have a future in Boston is if Bogearts proves to be good enough to stick at SS.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

good article on fangraphs about the trade, makes me feel better as a Pirates fan

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...llpen-shuffle/

here is a snippet

Reliever A: 128.1 IP, 24.2% K, 9.9% BB, 46.5% GB, 3.28 SIERA
    Reliever B: 119.1 IP, 21.3% K, 7.6% BB, 54.0% GB, 2.99 SIERA
    Reliever C: 91.1 IP, 33.1% K, 9.6% BB, 36.4% GB, 2.41 SIERA

The first two relievers have very similar peripheral statistics. Reliever A has a slightly higher strikeout rate while Reliever B has him beat in walk rate and groundball rate. Reliever C, meanwhile, has a substantially higher strikeout rate than his peers and basically the same walk rate as Reliever A. His groundball rate is the lowest of the bunch but his SIERA is over a half-run better than Reliever B’s, and almost an entire run better than Reliever A’s.
    Reliever A is Joel Hanrahan. Reliever B is Mark Melancon. Reliever C is Jason Grilli.
    In looking at those numbers, and going on performance alone, it’s hard to argue with using Grilli as the closer over Hanrahan. After adding in their respective 2013 salaries — Grilli at $2.25 million and Hanrahan at an estimated $7 million — the rationale behind the swap becomes even clearer.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

"It’s very possible that Melancon falters and Liriano, as a change of scenery candidate, stinks regardless of the change. However, the Pirates made better use of that $10 million by making this move after re-signing Grilli and bringing in Liriano."

Sums up the move perfectly IMO. Pirates were good enough to semi-compete before the hanrahan deal, but they need a few more pieces if they want to win now. No reason to meddle around with a closer that eats up 10% of your salary in that kind of scenario.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    "It’s very possible that Melancon falters and Liriano, as a change of scenery candidate, stinks regardless of the change. However, the Pirates made better use of that $10 million by making this move after re-signing Grilli and bringing in Liriano."

Sums up the move perfectly IMO. Pirates were good enough to semi-compete before the hanrahan deal, but they need a few more pieces if they want to win now. No reason to meddle around with a closer that eats up 10% of your salary in that kind of scenario.

I don't think they can compete this year. I think they are looking towards 2014 still.

If they think they can compete they need to eat Barme's contract, and get a real SS. And bring in at least 1 more non question mark type starting pitcher.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

they call him "home-run Hanrahan"

welcome to Boston
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LowRollin

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

nother bad day for Hanrahan

WvGambler

Nother good one for Grilli

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Nother good one for Grilli

yep, and Melancon up to 7 innings with only 2 hits allowed and 0 runs

the prospect Pimental they traded for his two consecutive 6 inning shut outs in AA

looks like a good deal thus far for the rats

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

15 DL for Hanrahan

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Grilli and Melancon are just unreal

early leaders for best set up man and closer in MLB for 2013

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Hanrahan back to the DL

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

If i'm the Pirates GM I take a big public relations fiasco gamble and I dangle Jason Grilli out there right now if I can get can a stud prospect or above average power right fielder.

Grilli is struggling now a bit, and I think his luck is running out as well. Sell high and get something in return.

Pirates have Melancon and Wilson to take over 8th and 9th and they have about 3-4 guys in AAA that can take Wilson's spot, like Vic Black, Duke Welker, Stolmy Pimental, Erik Cordier, Tim Alderson ect.

I woudn't give him away, but I would listen to offers certainly
    Points Awarded:

WvGambler gave Chi_archie 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    If i'm the Pirates GM I take a big public relations fiasco gamble and I dangle Jason Grilli out there right now if I can get can a stud prospect or above average power right fielder.

Grilli is struggling now a bit, and I think his luck is running out as well. Sell high and get something in return.

Pirates have Melancon and Wilson to take over 8th and 9th and they have about 3-4 guys in AAA that can take Wilson's spot, like Vic Black, Duke Welker, Stolmy Pimental, Erik Cordier, Tim Alderson ect.

I woudn't give him away, but I would listen to offers certainly

might be too late now, damn.....

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

it was good to see Grilli out there in the 9th

he still doesn't have his velocity back all the way. but he has good movement

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Hammer looking to make a comeback

what team picks him up?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-training.html

Free-agent reliever Joel Hanrahan will work out for teams in spring training, a league source tells MLBTR's Tim Dierkes (via Twitter). Hanrahan is currently throwing off a mound, earlier than anticipated. He had season-ending surgery on his elbow in May.
    The closer struggled in nine appearances with the Red Sox in 2013, though he still threw very hard, with his fastball averaging 96.6 MPH. He posted a 2.72 ERA with 10.1 K/9 and 5.4 BB/9 for the Pirates in 2012 before the Bucs traded him to Boston with infielder Brock Holtfor four players, including Mark Melancon and pitching prospect Stolmy Pimentel.

cala56
    cala56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5810

Idiot move

WvGambler

He'd look great in Bucco Black again

12 Last