Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Pittsburgh Pirates @ San Francisco Giants

San Francisco Giants: Tim Lincecum (10-2, 2.33 ERA)
    Pittsburgh Pirates: Paul Maholm (6-4, 4.60 ERA)

Maybe i'm way off here but does anyone else think this is a perfect spot for fading Tim Lincecum? Sure he has been one of the elite pitchers in baseball this year but he started the all-star game just 3 nights ago, and in my experience starting pitchers hate having their routines messed with too much.

The Pirates are no way as bad of a team as their win/loss record suggests, pythag has them at being 43-45 based on their runs scored/conceded, compared to the actual record of 38-50. The Buccos come back home after a 9 game road stretch, and they play their best ball at home. Their offensive numbers and bullpen stats are both better in home games, and Paul Maholm has a 2.96 home ERA compared to a 4.60 mark overall.

The Giants are a light hitting team who are sticking around based on pitching, sure they've had a couple of big numbers on the scoreboard lately but those games came at home against poor teams in Houston and San Diego. The Giants hit just .250 on the road and average 3.6 runs a game, which is pretty poor. They also struggle against left handed pitching, tallying just 13 runs in their last runs 5 games against left handed starters.

Tim Lincecum has only faced the Pirates once before giving up 6 runs in 6 innings, but that was back in 2007 so cant really take too much notice of that. I have very little doubt that the Giants are favourites, I Just believe that the Pirates are in the perfect spot to win this game - with the motivation of wanting to get a good home performance in returning home after a torrid road trip, and the fact that Tim Lincecum has had his schedule altered by his all-star appearence.

Pittsburgh ML (+141) and especially RL (-118) are both realistic plays here for me.

Thoughts? Opinions? STFU replies?

EDIT: Just noticed ive written the title of the thread wrong....FAIL
    Last edited by Squirrel; 07-17-09 at 12:09 PM. Reason: edited to add how much FAIL i produced

edge323
    edge323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

True, but Lincecum did pretty bad at the all star game, so he has something to prove and probably will be on fire in this game. The all star game was only 2 innings, so barely touched his routine.

fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you are gonna fade Lincecum, this could be a good start. If you look at Maholm's numbers, they are pretty good at home. The Pirates also have a winning home record while the Giants have a losing road record. Giants also play poor defense. Lincecum could easily shut down the Pirates. But if the buccos can get lincecum out early, they have a shot at winning.

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

I agree he didnt pitch that much, but even two innings still involves plenty of warming up and conditioning beforehand. Starters are used to 4 days of doing very little except resting between each start, there are very few starters who are as effective when not working on full rest.

Good luck if you make a play regardless of which side you are on

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

I avoided the game just because Pittsburgh has a .288 batting average at home, the only team higher is Baltimore.
    San Fran has a team average of .250 on the road, although they have been hot lately.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90300

Quote Originally Posted by fifawcs View Post
    If you are gonna fade Lincecum, this could be a good start. If you look at Maholm's numbers, they are pretty good at home. The Pirates also have a winning home record while the Giants have a losing road record. Giants also play poor defense. Lincecum could easily shut down the Pirates. But if the buccos can get lincecum out early, they have a shot at winning.
    perfectly said

Kav
    Kav's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

SAN FRAN -1.5 +105

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    I agree he didnt pitch that much, but even two innings still involves plenty of warming up and conditioning beforehand. Starters are used to 4 days of doing very little except resting between each start, there are very few starters who are as effective when not working on full rest.

Good luck if you make a play regardless of which side you are on
    With this thinking then Dodgers would not be a play either cause he pitched in the Allstar game. Not sure I buy into that.

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Pirates are also one of the best dogs in the +140 to +150 range.

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Quote Originally Posted by pimike View Post
    With this thinking then Dodgers would not be a play either cause he pitched in the Allstar game. Not sure I buy into that.
    Billingsley threw 1 inning and not 2, also Billingsley has more experience of being a relief pitcher in his career so he may be more accustomed to different number of rest days.

Just for the record the Dodgers aint a play for me for exactly this reason

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO

Billingsley threw 1 inning and not 2, also Billingsley has more experience of being a relief pitcher in his career so he may be more accustomed to different number of rest days.

Billingsly has tried for his 10th win what 5 times and failed. I believe he is going down. I think he is tired already.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Wilforth View Post
    The Pirates are also one of the best dogs in the +140 to +150 range.
    Good info

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

Great added info guys, I'm on ML and RL

GL to all whichever side of the coin your on.

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter

God bless the pathetic Giants offense

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO

Well both were good plays, Astros were actually better.