Earlier in the year I wrote an article on betting baseball and some of the things to look for. Today fits into one of those roles. Today is Get Away day in MLB and for those of you that are not familiar with the term it is when one day is ending a series and right after the series they have to “get away” and head off to the next series. This could come even more complicated if they are playing a day game after a night game because some managers have to juggle the lineup to give some rest to some players. The moral of the story is to pay close attention to the lineups and make sure your wagering on a team that has a full lineup.

Here are my selections tonight with some information—I wanted to get these out early, but I will be watching to see the lineups.

Atlanta -116

Derek Lowe take takes the mound tonight for the Braves but the more important starter will be Andy Pettitte of the Yankees. The main reason here is because the Braves can hammer left handed pitchers. The hit 22 points higher at home against lefties than righties and should be able to get Lowe some run support. Lowe has been shaky in his last two starts overall and both were against AL East teams, but they were on the road. In his last 6 home starts he has given up above 2 earned in only one game, and in that game he surrendered just three runs. If this turns into a pitching duel I will take the Braves because they have had a better bullpen as of late. In the last three appearances the Braves bullpen ERA is almost three full runs less than the Yankees. Yankees are 1-7 in their last 8 road games vs. a right-handed starter and Braves are 4-1 in Lowes last 5 starts vs. a team with a winning record. This line could swing in our favor with Yankees money coming in but I will be on the Braves.

Pittsburgh +146

This is a bet against the Tribe and their bullpen which is just awful. The Indians have lost 6 of Lee’s last 10 starts even though he has pitched well. Cliff Lee is just 2-3 on the road with a 2-3 ERA. After this game the Indians go home after a short road trip and will leave with a loss. The Indians have trouble putting together two good offensive games in a row as they are Indians are 11-31 in their last 42 after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game. Pirates are 5-1 in Ohlendorfs last 6 home starts and the Bucs are worth a shot at this price.

Under 8.5 Toronto / Cincinnati

In a series that has had plenty of runs I look for a power outage tonight. Johnny Cueto goes for the Reds and he has had a nice season up to this point. He is 5-2 in road games with an ERA of 1.52 and the under has came in five times in his last seven starts. Brett Cecil gets the start for the Jays and he has given up 3 earned or less in all of his starts but one this year and that was against the offensive minded Red Sox. The Reds don’t have that kind of firepower and hit just .213 on the road against left-handers. Under is 17-5-1 in Reds last 23 road games vs. a left-handed starter and the under is 9-4-1 in Blue Jays last 14 games following a win. Blue Jays have the series so expect them to rest a few bats tonight.

~Matt