MadCapper
    MadCapper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Max Scherzer tonight....future Cy Young winner?

He probably won't remain in the rotation long this season, but one would have to believe he wins the job easily by next season.

This guy is the real deal.

Enjoy watching him pitch tonight!

mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

im looking forward to it!

MadCapper

Me too.

He was dominant in his last relief outing. DOMINANT!

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

4 and a third is good enough for me!!!! cy young!!!~!@!@!@!@!

Philadelphia Phillies
    J. Moyer
    J. Moyer must start

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Kid is grossly overpriced here though. I got Phils at +134.

LT Profits

HOLY SH!T! Phils are mow +148!

I obviously didn't see this coming. Damn. I'd still take the win at 134 though (not that I have a choice.)

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

** - If he does well he'll definitely stick in the rotation this year. Johnson or Edgar Gonzales will be the odd man out.

Long term though, he could develop arm problems. No one lasts long throwing 98 with a hard slider.

LT I think the kid is grossly underpriced here. If I had a bet on Philly right now, I'd bet out of it and take Arizona, even if it wound up giving me a -180 line on Arizona or something.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by The HG View Post
    ** - If he does well he'll definitely stick in the rotation this year. Johnson or Edgar Gonzales will be the odd man out.

Long term though, he could develop arm problems. No one lasts long throwing 98 with a hard slider.

LT I think the kid is grossly underpriced here. If I had a bet on Philly right now, I'd bet out of it and take Arizona, even if it wound up giving me a -180 line on Arizona or something.
    Based on what? FOUR career innings? Let him prove something at the MLB level before laying ANY wood with him, let alone the -158 he is now.

mofome

cant bet on moyer and his 23.6 LD% against a team 2nd in the big in scoring. Young, Reynolds, Byrnes, and Jackson have all had success against him, though Eric is the only one with many ABs to look at. Scherzer's not going to be facing a lineup thats hitting well, philly seems to need the HR to score and Scherzer doesn't give up HRs.

LT Profits

Those would be valid points if Arizona was an underdog. But I don't lay this kind of chalk with proven veterans, so I cetainly can't do it with a guy making his first start. So Phils are the value play just on principle alone.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Those would be valid points if Arizona was an underdog. But I don't lay this kind of chalk with proven veterans, so I cetainly can't do it with a guy making his first start. So Phils are the value play just on principle alone.
    imo starters have the advantage in their first few starts. max struggled with his control some in his stint at AA in 07, but thats the only time he was troubled by walks over his limited minor league career. a strike out pitcher helps his chances of winning more than most, and a guy who dominated in his first outing with 83% Fastballs is obviously someone with overwhelming stuff. Better pitcher, better lineup, better bullpen. AZ bats over .300 as a team at home and the only thing they truly struggle with is strike outs...moyer aint a strike out pitcher..

LT Profits

Mo, you make no mention about PRICE, which is what it is all about.

mofome

Mo, you make no mention about PRICE, which is what it is all about.

I think the price is about right and those are my reasons. I would consider philly if i could get something closer to +170. However...

LT Profits

Agree to disagree. NO pitcher should be more than -125 in his first MLB start. If I recall, Lincecum was a home dog in his first start, and he got hit pretty hard too.

The HG

Based on what? FOUR career innings? Let him prove something at the MLB level before laying ANY wood with him, let alone the -158 he is now.
    No, based on minor league performance and reports as well. The Arizona line is not just for him, it's for the whole team as well. Obviously if he were starting for Pittsburgh on the road at LA or something like that it would be a different story.

mofome

Agree to disagree. NO pitcher should be more than -125 in his first MLB start. If I recall, Lincecum was a home dog in his first start, and he got hit pretty hard too.

We shall.

Now, what was prior in his first start? In this instance we have someone starting for the first time, but he is doing so for the best team in baseball. Last years Giants and this years Dbacks have little in common.

Lincecums first start was against the phillies. He went 4.1, allowed 5 hits, 5 walks, amd had 5 Ks. He allowed 6GB, 4 FB, and 2LD in 100 pitches (53 strikes 47 balls). Tim got a no decision.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

If I recall, Lincecum was a home dog in his first start, and he got hit pretty hard too.
    Lincecum was matched up against Hamels in his first start. Unless Moyer miraculously awoke with 20mph added to his fastball, he's no Hamels. Also, the D-Backs hammer lefties. This line is as much about Moyer as it is Scherzer. It wouldn't surprise me if Moyer was out of baseball come July.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    Lincecum was matched up against Hamels in his first start. Unless Moyer miraculously awoke with 20mph added to his fastball, he's no Hamels.
    and a change that disappears. remember when he threw bonds 4 straight change ups and struck him out? that was one of my favorite memories from a season ago.

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    and a change that disappears. remember when he threw bonds 4 straight change ups and struck him out? that was one of my favorite memories from a season ago.
    Hamels is a bad man, no doubt.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

If the guy wants to win the Cy Young, he better move to the AL - Tim Lincecum is a lock for the NL award for the next 7 years.

The HG

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Moyer was out of baseball come July.

Now let's not dis Jamie Moyer too much, his fluff can produce competitive, out-getting starts.

But I think even in the -150s, Arizona is a good bet. Again if I had Philly right now, I would bet out of it, and take Arizona on the other side.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    If the guy wants to win the Cy Young, he better move to the AL - Tim Lincecum is a lock for the NL award for the next 7 years.

I will give you the same odds $1000 to win a 1,000,000 he does not win it the next 7 years.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I remember Yovani Gallardo being around -150 or so last year against SF in his first ever start. He got the win....

The HG

Also I think Sandy Koufax was something like -220 in his first start, and look how that turned out, so....

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post

rjt721

NO pitcher should be more than -125 in his first MLB start.
    I understand what you're saying, LT, but the argument could be made that the advantage lies with Scherzer his first start. Just ask the Astros what it's like seeing his stuff for the first time. Still no Rollins for the Phils, Lidge has worked four consecutive days and won't be available tonight, Moyer's been abused thus far this season and is now facing the second highest scoring team in baseball, a lineup that hits lefties extraordinarily well... all these factors add up to this line being what it is.

MadCapper

Gametime.

MadCapper

ewww.

rjt721

Even Moyer is hitting him.

2Pac
    2Pac's Avatar Become A Pro!

HHahahahahahahah. I was banned up until now, or I would have laughed at you earlier.

Some guy that no one has ever heard of is not going to win a Cy Young.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    Just wanted to be part of the board's Lincecum-lovefest.

MadCapper

Quote Originally Posted by 2Pac View Post
    HHahahahahahahah. I was banned up until now, or I would have laughed at you earlier.

no one has ever heard of??

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by 2Pac View Post

You are WE EAT FISH and I claim my $100 Ghostbuster fee.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Scherzer perfect through 2 ALCS 2012 for the Tigers!!!