tshafer117
    tshafer117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

How stupid is this Playoff Format?

I hate the idea of two wild cards, why should a team with a worse record even get a chance to play a team with a better record to get into the playoffs?
    Than they do make it, and than they get 2 games at home right off the bat?

It's set up to help the wild card teams make it. It should be two at home for the "Better" team, than 2 on the road, and than the last game for the better team.

I don't see how playing 3 straight at home is an advantage, especially if you fall behind 2-0 in the series?

They need to just let one Wild Card team in, and than put the Playoff series as a 2-2-1.

Anyone else agree?

Mantle7
    Death Stare
    Mantle7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

I agree 100 percent. I also think the team with the best record should host the first two games. It's penetrating ridiculous. So when a team wins the division they basically get punished. So stupid.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

My team benefited from it (Cardinals) and even I think it is stupid.

Normally we wouldn't have even got in, now we get the first two games at home against the NL's best team in a best of 5. LOL.

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

I agree. Getting the first two games at home is more important than getting the last 3 at home. Under the 2-2-1 set up the better team gets game 5 at home anyway. Going to the 2-3 setup was stupid and not thought out. It gives momentum and a slight advantage to the team with the worse record. Just look at the A's. Down 2-0 because they didn't get the first two games at home.

InTheRed
    InTheRed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17680

2-2-1 actually favors the lower seeded team. The only way the higher seeded team (better record) gets home field advantage in the 2-2-1 series is if the series goes 5 games. % wise since the DS series started, game 5 was just not being played enough to warrent this series to work.

With it being 2-3, it forces the lower team to win both games at home to start. If they split, the better team has the home advantage regardless of how many games are played in the series.

This also fixes the travel issue. In the 2-2-1 series, you had 2 days off for travel. This only requires 1.

The actual fair way to handle the series would be a 1-1-1-1-1. But that's not practical. With that, it allows the better team to start and end the series at home in a sweep or a max series.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11165

Next year it will return to 2-2-1 format. Since they squeezed in the wildcard format this year, there weren't enough dates open to keep the original format with the potential of tiebreakers on top. So they made it 2-3.

tshafer117
    tshafer117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

It just makes no sense at all, it needs to be 2-2-1.
    I mean it's just ridiculous. Only thing that is good is if you win 1 out of the first 2 you are in great shape. But I think having your home crowd with you on the first game if a series is very important.

bballs84
    bballs84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40233

I am an A's fan so my answer is very