mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jeter has the best in intangibles in baseball

probably the dumbest thing i hear all the time in sports.

purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Jeter actually is the worst shortstop in the game as far as all around ability. His only saving grace is he is a Yankee and he can hit in the clutch which Arod can't do.

moneyline
    moneyline's Avatar Become A Pro!

Obviously, Fo has never played the game to understand what intangibles are. Can't undrstand it from reading books, Fo.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Meanwhile Moneyline is a former MLB player.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 84

i hate these damn cleshays .......

moneyline

You have to be a Major Leaguer to understand intangibles? Wow, Juan, did you pull that out of your statistical grab bag?

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

Quote Originally Posted by purecarnagge View Post
    Jeter actually is the worst shortstop in the game as far as all around ability. His only saving grace is he is a Yankee and he can hit in the clutch which Arod can't do.
    ok buddy

just another yankee hater

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

does intagible means he is lucky?

donjuan

You have to be a Major Leaguer to understand intangibles? Wow, Juan, did you pull that out of your statistical grab bag?
    No, it's just in response to your moronic post that you have to have played the game to understand baseball. I'd imagine just about everyone here has at least played Little League.

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Jeter is one of the smartest baseball players I have seen play the game. Always has his head in the game

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by purecarnagge View Post

bases loaded today and he K-ed. He should have scored a run a couple days ago on an infield single but he was day dreaming. he's a very good player, but its comical what people make him out to be.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 84

an intangible is like when they say a guy has heart or character etc ... stupid cleshays like that ............

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by 5 star bomb View Post
    Jeter is one of the smartest baseball players I have seen play the game. Always has his head in the game

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    bases loaded today and he K-ed. He should have scored a run a couple days ago on an infield single but he was day dreaming. he's a very good player, but its comical what people make him out to be.

reply couldn't have fit much more perfectly.

donjuan

Jeter is a very good hitting SS and a well below average fielding SS. The Yankees would be better off with Rodriguez, an average fielding SS, at SS and Jeter at 3B but the intangible known as Jeter's ego won't allow it.

MJFtheGenius

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    Mofome you don't know what your talking about

the guy will possibly pass Pete Rose all time in hits and you are dogging him

moneyline

Rarely makes a baserunning mistake ... is a quality hitter in the playoffs ... will come close to setting the all-time hits record (and not because of longevity like Mr. Rose) ... doesn't disappear in October like players supposedly better than him ... has always been a positive influence in the clubhouse (unlike so many other star players) ... is a situational hitter who understands a game scenario and does what is needed (and if he fails, he fails while trying to do the right thing unlike so many other star players) ...

The fact that Fo has to take the time to try and belittle him says all you need to know about how truly great he is ... much like crap players don't get booed in opposing stadiums ...

Would we ever have this ? about ARod? Of course not. The pinstripes make him look a lot thinner come October

MJFtheGenius

Even now that he is older there are still only 1 or 2 shortstops you can say are better then him

moneyline

Before the ARod curse came into effect, Jeter had been to 6 World Series and been a part of 4 winning teams from 1996-2003 ... not bad (before his winning buddy came to town) ...

Panic
    Panic's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by moneyline View Post
    Rarely makes a baserunning mistake ... is a quality hitter in the playoffs ... will come close to setting the all-time hits record (and not because of longevity like Mr. Rose) ... doesn't disappear in October like players supposedly better than him ... has always been a positive influence in the clubhouse (unlike so many other star players) ... is a situational hitter who understands a game scenario and does what is needed (and if he fails, he fails while trying to do the right thing unlike so many other star players) ...

The fact that Fo has to take the time to try and belittle him says all you need to know about how truly great he is ... much like crap players don't get booed in opposing stadiums ...

Would we ever have this ? about ARod? Of course not. The pinstripes make him look a lot thinner come October

Very simple question, moneyline. Without Arod during the regular season, the last few years, especially last year, do the Yankees make the playoffs? NO! So Yankee fans want to whine and cry about AROD in October but the only reason the Yankees are there in OIctober is because of him. How about the rest of the millionaires on the team pick up the slack in the playoffs that AROD carried them to and win a championship? No? Its to easy to blame Alex.

moneyline

Funny. They made it every year from 1994 to 2003 without ARod. And, yes, they would have made it in 2005 and 2006 without him as well. Last year was the only year they made it because of him, if you want to really look at the numbers ...

And then the ? comes back to you. If ARod is the only reason they made it last year and you know he will stop playing come October, then him getting them there and then abandoning the team is helpful in what way again?

Edit: Oh, and asking the rest of the Yankees to "carry" the best player in the game in the playoffs is rather funny, don't you think? Imagine if the Bulls said "Jordan got you here. Scottie, Dennis, you need to carry Jordan in the playoffs"

Panic

Funny. They made it every year from 1994 to 2003 without ARod. And, yes, they would have made it in 2005 and 2006 without him as well. Last year was the only year they made it because of him, if you want to really look at the numbers ...

And then the ? comes back to you. If ARod is the only reason they made it last year and you know he will stop playing come October, then him getting them there and then abandoning the team is helpful in what way again?

If he plays in October and doesnt help during the regular season, how does that help the Yankees? They wont be there in October without him.

moneyline

And again I ask you, so far there has been ONE season the Yankees would not have been there in October without ARod. ONE. What a contribution.

Did the Bulls have to carry Jordan in the playoffs during their title runs? Or did Jordan, the ARod of basketball, actually play in the playoffs as well?

Panic

And again I ask you, so far there has been ONE season the Yankees would not have been there in October without ARod. ONE. What a contribution.

Did the Bulls have to carry Jordan in the playoffs during their title runs? Or did Jordan, the ARod of basketball, actually play in the playoffs as well?
    Not disputing the validity of the importance of post season. Let me make this clear. I hate the Yankees. I hope they miss the post season from here on out. But, I give credit where credit is due, AROD is the reason the Yankees have made the playoffs while he's been there.

Before last year, AROD's stats:

2006: 35 hr, 121 rbi
    2005: 48 hr, 130 rbi
    2004: 36 hr, 106 rbi

He didnt carry the Yanks into the playoffs the last 4 years? C'mon.

moneyline

Oh, man. You really believe he took a team that made the playoffs from 1994-2003 and carried them the next 3 years into the playoffs?

Hey, can't argue with that.

moneyline

2004, by the way, he led the league in errors by a 3rd baseman, led the league in DP's and had the lowest BA with runners in scoring postion in the American League at his position ...

And he was the reason the Yankees made the playoffs ... or not

Panic

Oh, man. You really believe he took a team that made the playoffs from 1994-2003 and carried them the next 3 years into the playoffs?

Hey, can't argue with that.

You know, moneyline, theres no arguing with you. You are just stubborn and will argue with anyone who thinks differently than you. There really is no sense in trying to debate with you. If I said the sun will come up tommorrow, you would argue that it wouldn't. You know what, here you go, AROD sucks, Yankees rule, they will win every championship from here on out.

donjuan

he led the league in errors by a 3rd baseman
    I like how you continue to use fairly meaningless stats to support your arguments.

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

I read the first post and skipped over the rest of the fighting shit...anyway let me get my two cents in here...

Jeter has "intangibles"...he brings a passion to the game you cant measure...his heart is in every play....Ive watched almost every Yankee game since I was a kid specially since 1996 when Jeter came up. Hes a very good player, maybe not the best shortstop in the game now, but he once was. He is still clutch. Either way fellas I think to become beloved in NY is a hard thing to do. New yorkers still dont show alot of love to Eli and he won a superbowl! Does anyone remember when Jeter went flying through the stands to catch that ball? He busted up his face and wrist. Yes some people would call that stupid, but when you see a player put his body on the line for a big out...he wins over your heart and shows he has heart...which leads to something called an intangible.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    I like how you continue to use fairly meaningless stats to support your arguments.
    DonJuan, I'd love to see your list of the only stats we should all be looking at and those we shouldn't give a flip about. I'll bring them up at the next SABR meeting I attend and see what the group thinks.

As for the rest of this thread, did we finally decide which one of you boys has the biggest peepee?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

If Jeter played in another City you never would of heard of him, a nice singles hitter.

Rivera is why yanks won all the titles, he is 100% the reason.

moneyline

Actually, Panic, I believe the Yankees will win 0 championships as long as ARod is clogging up the 4 hole come October ... he has proven to be nothing more to an albatross to every team he has played for and every team improves once he leaves ...

Mariners -- won 116 games the year he left
    Rangers -- last place both years he was there, battled into September for the division crown the yeart he left
    Yankees -- 4 World Series Championships and 6 appearances in the 8 years before he came; greatest choke in ML history his first year on the team, not getting past the 1st round of the playoffs since then ...

There is a reason ARod's teammates call him 'The Cooler'. Think Jordan's teammates ever called him that?

(well, maybe in high school)

purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by MJFtheGenius View Post
    ok buddy

just another yankee hater
    Actually I'm not a yankee hatar...

And the stats were done on a play by play rating on how they field everything that comes there way. Jeter is way overrated, he should just DH cuz he's a clutch hitter or move to third

Also, without Arod last year the yankee's would have been ****ing buried and done. Arod saved there ****ing season.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by AgainstAllOdds View Post
    Does anyone remember when Jeter went flying through the stands to catch that ball? He busted up his face and wrist.

I would call it stupid because he could have simply stopped before he smashed his face but he loves the attention. that was one of the funniest things ive ever seen.

CashMoney
    CashMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Derek Jeter being called the worst SS in MLB is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. As a die hard Yanks fan I've watched DJ frmo day 1 of his career. He does have intangibles...he one of the best baserunners in the game. How often do you see him getting thrown out going 1st to 3rd or 2nd to home? Rarely.

His range is not the greatest but he gets the job done. I remember when he was voted the most overrated player in MLB in a SI poll a year or two ago. That was pretty funny in itself. Lot's of DJ haters in the world means nothing but jealousy.

4-time NY Yankees Player of the Year (1998-2000, 2006)
    3-time AL Gold Glove Award (SS) (2004-06)
    2-time Baseball America 1st-Team Major League All-Star (SS) (1999, 2004)
    2-time AL Silver Slugger (SS) (2006-07)
    AL Rookie of the Year (1996)
    All-Star Game Most Valuable Player (2000)
    World Series Most Valuable Player (2000)

Career States

Games - 1850
    AB - 7,489
    Runs - 1,386
    Hits - 2,373
    Doubles - 388
    Triples - 56
    Homers - 195
    RBI's - 944
    Total Bases - 3,458
    Walks - 763
    Stike Outs - 1,296
    Steals - 264
    Caught Stealing - 71
    Stolen Base Success Rate - 79%
    OBP .388
    SLG .422
    Avg .317

The most overrated player in baseball normally gets 200 hits a season and scores over 100 runs a season, is a career .317 hitter and is overrated? Heck, A-Rod even thought he was overrated until he joined the Yankees. DJ does a lot of things that don't show up in a box score...like shuffle plays to home plate, diving into the stands to catch a ball (more than once), jump throw to 1st base deep in the hole, etc.

If he stays healthy he's a 1st time ballot Hall of Famer. He's only 614 hits shy of 3,000 for his career. If he stays healthy he should be there in 2010.

Haters keep hating....I'll keep enjoying watching him play and come through in the clutch as usual.

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
    Derek Jeter being called the worst SS in MLB is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. As a die hard Yanks fan I've watched DJ frmo day 1 of his career. He does have intangibles...he one of the best baserunners in the game. How often do you see him getting thrown out going 1st to 3rd or 2nd to home? Rarely.

His range is not the greatest but he gets the job done. I remember when he was voted the most overrated player in MLB in a SI poll a year or two ago. That was pretty funny in itself. Lot's of DJ haters in the world means nothing but jealousy.

4-time NY Yankees Player of the Year (1998-2000, 2006)
    3-time AL Gold Glove Award (SS) (2004-06)
    2-time Baseball America 1st-Team Major League All-Star (SS) (1999, 2004)
    2-time AL Silver Slugger (SS) (2006-07)
    AL Rookie of the Year (1996)
    All-Star Game Most Valuable Player (2000)
    World Series Most Valuable Player (2000)

Career States

Games - 1850
    AB - 7,489
    Runs - 1,386
    Hits - 2,373
    Doubles - 388
    Triples - 56
    Homers - 195
    RBI's - 944
    Total Bases - 3,458
    Walks - 763
    Stike Outs - 1,296
    Steals - 264
    Caught Stealing - 71
    Stolen Base Success Rate - 79%
    OBP .388
    SLG .422
    Avg .317

The most overrated player in baseball normally gets 200 hits a season and scores over 100 runs a season, is a career .317 hitter and is overrated? Heck, A-Rod even thought he was overrated until he joined the Yankees. DJ does a lot of things that don't show up in a box score...like shuffle plays to home plate, diving into the stands to catch a ball (more than once), jump throw to 1st base deep in the hole, etc.

If he stays healthy he's a 1st time ballot Hall of Famer. He's only 614 hits shy of 3,000 for his career. If he stays healthy he should be there in 2010.

Haters keep hating....I'll keep enjoying watching him play and come through in the clutch as usual.

I hate the Yanks but Jeter is a LOCK for the HOF. He is one of my favorite players to watch play the game.

123 Last