Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Detroit's Bullpen: The Nasty Boys????

Of course I've lost money on the Oakland A's two days in a row...
    So it might just be frustration or the result of a struggling offense but they do seem unhittable at times...
    Of course yesterday Jones (who might just be the worst of the bunch) almost blew it.
    Watching the game I just thought of Cincinnati's 1990's Nasty Boys. (Norm Charlton, Randy Myers and Rob Dibble)
    That bullpen was actually the difference in the playoffs for the Reds who swept a far "better" (better than the Reds and way, way, better than this year's A's) A's team in the WS...
    Both had a 100 mph guy (Zumaya and Dibble)
    Of course they still dont have a great lefty, and those Reds had 2 but the result might just be the same.
    It seems that if Detroit is got a lead in the 7th they're gonna be hard to beat...
    Of course if Big Frank would have gotten a hang of a Jones fastball yesterday in the 9th I wouldn't be writting this...
    But I would be just a bit richer...
    Anyway Rodney, Zumaya, Jones, the new nasty boys??? any thoughts...
    Last edited by Bulldog; 10-12-06 at 11:30 AM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The detroit pen could be better than the original nasty boys IMO. This Tigers pen is just incredable in regards to there dominating numbers they have this year, not to mention there so young.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Not so nasty with Zumaya nursing a sore wrist right now, but that is a great group nonetheless.

Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee
    Not so nasty with Zumaya nursing a sore wrist right now, but that is a great group nonetheless.
    Really???
    I didnt know Willie...
    How bad is it???

Bulldog

This was on ESPN.com

Not many answers but...

A month after being sidelined for a week with a sore right wrist, Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya has developed the same problem and is unavailable to pitch.

"I'm just taking it day-to-day, but it's sore," Zumaya told USA Today on Wednesday. "It's the second time I've had this. It's a little worrisome.

"I'm a big factor on this team, but I couldn't pitch with it. That's all I have to say," he said.

Zumaya saw a doctor both Wednesday and Thursday, but the Tigers aren't sure when he'll be able to pitch again.

In September, Zumaya was diagnosed with tendinitis in his right wrist and received a cortisone shot.

Team trainer Kevin Rand believed the original problem arose from the repetitive act of pitching. Zumaya, whose fastball travels more than 100 mph, said he thinks it comes from the aggressive way he holds the baseball.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Zumaya shouldn't miss more than a game or two if that IMO

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

They are very nasty. Teams would much rather face the Detroit starters, you would think anyway. You would usually want to get to the pen of a team as soon as possible, not with Detroit.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Thing is with the young arms, they can implode at anytime, but if they can back up their numbers from this year, they will have one of the most imposing bullpens for many years to come.