SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bryan Leonard: Cards vs. Mets -168

Cardinals vs. Mets -168

Game Time: 10/11/2006 8:19:00 PM
    By: Bryan Leonard
    http://www.phoenixsports.com

The opening game in the National League looks to have a solid edge with the host. St Louis hasn't been very good on the road this year with just a 36-47 record.

They are also only 24-24 vs left handed starters. The bullpen edge also goes to the host especially with the Cardinals missing their closer. The Mets own the season series 4-2 and they swept the Cardinals at home this year.

St Louis sends Jeff Weaver to the hill and he hasn't been a quality starter since his days with the Tigers. Weaver has a 5.59 ERA on the season and his teams have lost 18 of his 32 starts this year. Weaver has a 6.10 career ERA vs the Mets.

The host counters with veteran Tom Glavine who has an excellent 2.79 ERA at home. The Mets are 13-3 in Glavine's home starts. In his last two starts Glavine pitched 12 combined innings without allowing an earned run. He is 9-3 in his career vs the Cardinals.

St Louis is only 7-20 away from home against winning teams. The Mets on the other hand are 44-24 on the year vs winning ballclubs. The host has the better hitting despite the playoff experience edge for the Cardinals. We expect New York to get a leg up in this series as they get to Weaver early.

Play: New York Mets -168

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd never thought i'd say this, but I like the Cardinals in this game behind Jeff Weaver.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Weaver has been pitching better lately so I am also gonna take a shot with the Cardinals tonight.