bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

the double play A's

The A's have hit into 4 double plays so far tonight, and are really shooting themselves in the foot in this game.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Well didnt they have 170 in the regular season, it isnt like they ever ran out of bullets.

Got to give it to that Detroit pitching, its creating them ground balls for them double plays.

bigboydan

Boy, This A's team looked bad tonight. I would expect a better effort from them tomorrow night, but the gotta face the Tigers ace in Verlander.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

They looked like NY in the first round. Oaklnad will bounce back, trust me.

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    They looked like NY in the first round. Oaklnad will bounce back, trust me.
    yeah, with all those LOB, was beginning to see pinstripes by the 7th inning

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

The A's definitely helped Detroit out a little last night, but the Tigers are also playing with a ton of confidence right now. See if they come out a bit flat tonight and have a lackadaisical approach already satisfied about taking one in Oakland. Leyland will try and combat that and fire them up, but this game is just as important for Detroit with a 1-0 lead as it is for Oakland with a 1-0 deficit.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I too expect the A's to bouce back tonight...
    But the trio of Verlander/Zumaya/Jones doenst look to appealing for a stuggling offensive lineup...
    They need to be patient and come up big in the clutch. Yesterday they went like 1 for 12 or 13 with RISP...
    There's no way they can beat anyone in the playoffs with that kind of production...
    And I disagree with Willie, I think this game is much more important to Oakland, no must win but almost, and they will play their hearts out tonight...
    I hope Loaiza is up to the task...

I hope Loaiza

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    I too expect the A's to bouce back tonight...
    I disagree bud.

I think Verlander will shut the A's down tonight.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

I think the A's are done. Must win game for them tonight.

Willie Bee

And I disagree with Willie, I think this game is much more important to Oakland, no must win but almost...
    Well, from the standpoint that Oakland can't afford to go down 0-2 while the Tigers can stand to be 1-1, yeah, it is a very important game for Oakland.

The point I was trying to make, however, is Detroit can't really go into this game thinking, "Hey, we already got the one win we were after at their place." That old cliché about just hoping to split on the road in the first two games is for losers and fools. The Tigers have the momentum and, I feel, it's very important for them not to lose it.

Bulldog

Well of course Willie...
    If what you're trying to say is that the Tigers would rather win tonight than lose...
    and that they would be a lot better off if they do than if they dont then I absolutely agree with you.

Willie Bee

Well of course Willie...If what you're trying to say is that the Tigers would rather win tonight than lose...and that they would be a lot better off if they do than if they dont then I absolutely agree with you.
    Not sure where I said 'the Tigers would rather win tonight than lose,' sort of figured that to be a given in any contest. Conversely, I must assume you were saying the A's would rather even the series 1-1 than be down 0-2.

Let's try this again. This game, in my opinion, is as important for the Tigers as it is for the A's. And my reasoning is that Detroit collared the momentum by taking Game 1 in Oakland and can ill-afford to lose that momentum against a team like the A's. Everyone and their cat knows that Oakland will be in a big hole if they're 0-2 going into Detroit. But calling it a must-win only for the A's is falling into the trap that it's ok for the team that opens on the road to just be happy with a 1-1 split in the first two games.

Bulldog

Got you Willie...
    So you're basically trying to bring down the "its ok to split the first 2 games on the road" theory.
    I do agree with you, thanks for clearing it up...