stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Josh Beckett On Waivers

The Red Sox have placed right-hander Josh Beckett on waivers, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). Competing executives don’t expect him to be claimed, Heyman writes.

Beckett, 32, earns $15.75MM per season through 2014. He has posted a 5.23 ERA with 6.6 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 in 127 1/3 innings this year, while facing considerable scrutiny for his on-field performance and off-field actions.

One unnamed GM recently told Heyman "Boston's first priority has to be to trade Josh Beckett'' this August. The Red Sox and Rangers discussed a trade that would have sent Beckett, Jacoby Ellsbury and Kelly Shoppach to Texas leading up to the trade deadline, so the Rangers could be considered a long-shot suitor.

Teams routinely place players on waivers, even if they don't plan on trading them, so this is not an indication that the Red Sox intend to move Beckett. If he goes unclaimed, the Red Sox will be able to complete a trade just as easily as they could have before the current waiver period began at the beginning of August.

If a team claims Beckett, the Red Sox will have three choices. They can let him (and his contract) go to the claiming team, they can complete a trade with the claiming team, or they can pull him back off of waivers. American League teams will have claiming priority on Beckett.

Carl Crawford and Nick Punto have already cleared waivers this month. Adrian Gonzalez is also on waivers now.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

damn this sucks. he was an instant fade...

shooms79
    shooms79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2198

well, forgive me for asking, but whats the point of putting them on waivers? To tipp the other teams hand and see who is interested? i cant imagine a team not claiming crawford or a gonzalez, just to push the red sox to make a decision I mean yeah they are huge contracts but i cant see boston parting ways with those two

NittanyLionsFan
    Casey, show 'em how to smile.
    NittanyLionsFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Nash, you gotta play today homie?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Non revocable? Or just the typical post trade deadline waivers?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Nobody takes on cancer willingly.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Quote Originally Posted by shooms79 View Post
    well, forgive me for asking, but whats the point of putting them on waivers? To tipp the other teams hand and see who is interested? i cant imagine a team not claiming crawford or a gonzalez, just to push the red sox to make a decision I mean yeah they are huge contracts but i cant see boston parting ways with those two
    Red Sox would love to part ways with Crawford and the 100 mil they owe him over the next 5 years. He is having Tommy John surgery and will miss a good chunk of next year. I think even if he was not having the surgery no one would claim him with that contract.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Quote Originally Posted by NittanyLionsFan View Post
    Nash, you gotta play today homie?
    Card sucks today.
    I dunno, Wilson -108 maybe, Hanson -116 would probably be my best play, but I'm luke warm on that one too, plus I have cooled off this week some.

Rixsaw
    Rixsaw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

bring back Terry Francona

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

he was good at one point in his career...those days are long gone!

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Like many others he did a heck of a lot for the organization

So sad to see the whole thing torn to shreds

RIP Josh Beckett I remember man

KingKolzig
    KingKolzig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

dumb move. now he will never put in the effort for the team that embarrased him like that