jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Is strausburgh pitching in playoffs?

Did I hear if he hits 160 innings they shut him down for year? I think he is at 110.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

they'll give him 2-3 weeks off mid august with a phantom dl injury. then have him pitch every 6-7 days in september or in a duel starter "tandem" with two guys designated to throw 45-55 pitches...using the 40 man roster sept call up expansion minor leaugers to eat up innings. then they'll injury him in the playoffs

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

nationals cant come out of this looking good after their ridiculous stance

originally everyone said 160....now theyre saying it could be 175

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

They would be fukkin retarded to sit him.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    They would be fukkin retarded to sit him.

well given his unique contract coupled with his initial 6 year service time status and super two status. I'd say the Nats could be on the hook for at least on arb year giving Stras 10-12 million even if he got hurt NOW. but if he didn't get hurt/DL fashion but damage to his arm that will/would appear later they might be paying him 45-65 million over the next few years before his walk year.

add to that the 15 million they already spent on him....and you'd be retarded not to be cautious...if it were YOUR money

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

They shut Zimmerdown down after Tommy John surgery and they just imploded. Great story on this on espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...-innings-limit

"If the Washington Nationals make the World Series, don't tell Stephen Strasburg -- who is on a team-imposed innings limit -- that he won't be able to pitch.

"They're going to have to rip the ball out of my hands," Strasburg said on MLB Network Radio."

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    well given his unique contract coupled with his initial 6 year service time status and super two status. I'd say the Nats could be on the hook for at least on arb year giving Stras 10-12 million even if he got hurt NOW. but if he didn't get hurt/DL fashion but damage to his arm that will/would appear later they might be paying him 45-65 million over the next few years before his walk year.

add to that the 15 million they already spent on him....and you'd be retarded not to be cautious...if it were YOUR money
    that said this inning restriction is absurd...if he gets hurt next year after they hold him back it would take years for ownership to get past this, especially if the team is peaking this year...it would cost them far more than what it costs to pay him

funny thing about all of this is you never know....gotta go after it when you have a chance

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

The Nationals Owner, Ted Lerner, is the second richest owner in major league baseball behind the Giants owner. He has the pockets, if you are not going to let Strasburg pitch and try to win a title with him this year then go after Dempster.

The Nationals have the best rotation in baseball and they would still have the best rotation in baseball with guys like Zimmerman, Gonzalez, and Dempster , at least for this year. This stuff about a young team planning for the future is nonsense, these teams fortunes can rise and fall every year.
    Last edited by gregm; 07-18-12 at 08:21 PM.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

going forward they know they will be paying out the nose in 2015,16,17 ect for some of these guys like Harper, Rendon ect... So they "SEE" their true peak as in in 2013,2014 most likely and decided to impose this innings limit before they knew they might be competing... its a tough situation. and I wouldn't want to have to make it myself.... knowing the scrutiny and 2nd,3rd,4th,5th guessing you'd be under if something goes wrong.

so yeah I guess I'd say go for it now...

but that is EASY for us to say from the cheap seats... there is NOTHING at stake for idiots like us having a strong opinion on the matter... but not so simple as the top 3-4 guys at the top of a quarter of a billion dollars company

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

fair enough archer but even if its the right call no way should they have even made it public

fuk public....strasburg shouldnt have even been told so soon there was a limit

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    fair enough archer but even if its the right call no way should they have even made it public

fuk public....strasburg shouldnt have even been told so soon there was a limit

agreed and agreed! like I said I don't think they anticipated doing this well?

but I think the "they'll have to rip the ball out of my hands" comment is laughable though quioxtic on his part.....

but in reality, now it also makes them doubt even more trusting he'd tell them if he felt twinges of pain in a start in sept or whatever and MAKE them want to shut him down MORE...if they do go the safe/protect our investment route

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 463

I see an August vacation (fake DL) coming for S.S.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I guess they will space his starts out

Guy worth more long term to them

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

160 innings is such a dumb, arbitrary number........Just let him fukkin rip or sit him now for a month if you're that worried.....But why 160 innings??? at 161 he will blow out his arm???

Back in the day, they had no problems with inning limits......Best thing you can do is take care of your body as much as possible on your days off and hope for the best

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

MLD just to play devils advocate there are a lot less career ending arm injuries these days

it's kinda like an old fuk saying people ate drank and smoked what they wanted and they were fine....well no shit but people live 10 yrs fukkin longer now

anyway another dumb thing the nats said is that they wouldnt alter his schedule so hes supposed to pitch every 5th day with no skips...so fukkin stupid

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    MLD just to play devils advocate there are a lot less career ending arm injuries these days

it's kinda like an old fuk saying people ate drank and smoked what they wanted and they were fine....well no shit but people live 10 yrs fukkin longer now

anyway another dumb thing the nats said is that they wouldnt alter his schedule so hes supposed to pitch every 5th day with no skips...so fukkin stupid
    They should bench him now for a month.....Give him time to rest up and keep the innings down

I don't mind them saying that they will try their best to keep him limited (By stretching out starts, taking a few week breaks, etc)...But why 160 pitching normal 5 days rest and then boom, done??? If he's at 159 going into the playoffs, then what??

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

they have a legit shot at getting to the WS with the rotation they have as the ws champs giants proved a few years ago. no way did the gm think they would be in this position when they made the announcment. which is fkn dumb in the first place. say they win the division,have home field, your telling me that they arent going to pitch this kid if hes reached 160 ip? davey johnson will tell gm and ownership to stick it