cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Padres -140 for the series v. Astros?

The Astros have lost 13 straight road games, they're 9-35 away and yet the market is giving them +120 odds to win two out of three in San Diego? Can someone explain this to me?

This is the kind of line that makes me wonder why everyone doesn't try sports betting because you don't have to know anything about baseball to see Padres -140 is great value.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Cubs had lost 12 games in a row or something when the Padres rolled into town.

Cubbies swept them. Padres can cure serious woes.

nj1035
    Update your status
    nj1035's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2118

Quote Originally Posted by cleaveland View Post
    The Astros have lost 13 straight road games, they're 9-35 away and yet the market is giving them +120 odds to win two out of three in San Diego? Can someone explain this to me?

This is the kind of line that makes me wonder why everyone doesn't try sports betting because you don't have to know anything about baseball to see Padres -140 is great value.
    The explanataion is simple; someone with inside knowledge is most likely pounding the Astros to make that line look crooked. You should probably pound the Astros.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!
    borednaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ok Take today's game for a good example. Happ probably one of the worst starters in MLB next to the Asian guy the rangers started a few days back, has a long history of crushing the Padres. I'm on a cell or I'd look it up but I think his era is in the low 2's against them. Houston actually has better bats.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by nj1035 View Post
    The explanataion is simple; someone with inside knowledge is most likely pounding the Astros to make that line look crooked. You should probably pound the Astros.
    I don't care what anyone's opinion is. The Astros will have to not only stop their losing streak but win 2 out of 3. Of course it's not impossible but I'd say their odds of doing this are closer to 25% than 50%.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by borednaz View Post
    Ok Take today's game for a good example. Happ probably one of the worst starters in MLB next to the Asian guy the rangers started a few days back, has a long history of crushing the Padres. I'm on a cell or I'd look it up but I think his era is in the low 2's against them. Houston actually has better bats.
    The mental aspect of the game is more important than talent when you're in a losing streak.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Taking the Pads at -140 for a game or a series is way too high in my opinion. I dont think they deserve that kind of number against anybody.....especially with Kip Wells and Ross Ohlendorf pitching the 1st two games!

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!
    borednaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

The mental aspect of the game is more important than talent when you're in a losing streak.
    Let's go with that then. Both teams have nothing really to play for & have been getting pounded. So mentally do you think either team is sunshine & happyness?

nj1035
    Update your status

I don't care what anyone's opinion is. The Astros will have to not only stop their losing streak but win 2 out of 3. Of course it's not impossible but I'd say their odds of doing this are closer to 25% than 50%.
    You might not care about their opinion but if they have inside info and you don't you'd be stupid to ignore it. That's all I'm saying.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by borednaz View Post
    Let's go with that then. Both teams have nothing really to play for & have been getting pounded. So mentally do you think either team is sunshine & happyness?
    The Padres are 6-4 in their last 10 with a 2 game winning streak. Being in a long losing streak is totally different. Also, the Padres have won the series from the Astros the last two seasons, everything points to them winning this series I'd say.
    Last edited by cleaveland; 07-16-12 at 03:15 PM.

cleaveland

You might not care about their opinion but if they have inside info and you don't you'd be stupid to ignore it. That's all I'm saying.
    The explanataion is simple; someone with inside knowledge is most likely pounding the Astros to make that line look crooked.
    You're basing your opinion on a theory. Also, inside knowledge doesn't always mean a guarantee especially in a situation like this. Also, it may just be that the market has decided this is the correct price and there's no hypothetical people with inside knowledge "pounding the line" (that's quite an assumption to make).

My play is Padres -140 to win the series, let's see what happens.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Taking the Pads at -140 for a game or a series is way too high in my opinion. I dont think they deserve that kind of number against anybody.....especially with Kip Wells and Ross Ohlendorf pitching the 1st two games!
    I think the market is setting the line here and there's no hypothetical person with inside knowledge pulling the line down.

nj1035
    Update your status

You're basing your opinion on a theory. Also, inside knowledge doesn't always mean a guarantee especially in a situation like this. Also, it may just be that the market has decided this is the correct price and there's no hypothetical people with inside knowledge "pounding the line" (that's quite an assumption to make).

My play is Padres -140 to win the series, let's see what happens.
    Good luck with your play. I'm taking Houston tonight so I hope they win and lose the next two for your sake.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Of course Astros came to play

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

got to win the next three to cash.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
    got to win the next three to cash.
    Only the next two, these bets are only the first three games. This should be a spot for a classic let down game for the Astros. The Astros played a great game, Happ pitched like a superstar and they made a lot of great defensive plays. They played a nearly perfect game defensively. Now, I look for them to have a letdown game which could easily lead to them getting back into the habit of losing which will lead nicely into game 3.

This is just like a tennis match where the better player loses the first set in a three set match. All the Padres have to do is get the momentum back and they can easily pull this out.

I almost certainly just jinxed myself.
    Last edited by cleaveland; 07-17-12 at 12:56 AM.

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

So even if they play a four game series. It's based on the first three games? Didn't know that.

Regul8er
    Wordd

I think the market is setting the line here and there's no hypothetical person with inside knowledge pulling the line down.

Obviously the market sets the line.....but never ever would I touch the Pads at such a steep price! I don't care if they are playing the Durham Bulls.

cleaveland

Only the next two, these bets are only the first three games. This should be a spot for a classic let down game for the Astros. The Astros played a great game, Happ pitched like a superstar and they made a lot of great defensive plays. They played a nearly perfect game defensively. Now, I look for them to have a letdown game which could easily lead to them getting back into the habit of losing which will lead nicely into game 3.

This is just like a tennis match where the better player loses the first set in a three set match. All the Padres have to do is get the momentum back and they can easily pull this out.
    Pretty good prediction here.

CanuckG

You're gonna jinx yourself.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    You're gonna jinx yourself.
    At Petco Park this game/series bet is over.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Nice win cleeve!

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Nice win cleeve!
    Thanks. I think the market underestimates streaks and other important psychological factors in the line. If you go just by numbers -140 may have been the perfect line for this series but when including momentum/confidence/psychology it was under-priced.

CanuckG

Dont padres have to still win today and tomorrow?

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Dont padres have to still win today and tomorrow?
    These bets are only for the first three games of the series. The Astros still have a glimmer of hope here.