Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Where do you rank this current St. Louis collapse?

This collapse has to be the worst I have ever seen. The only one that comes close in my memory would be the '95 Angels who blew a huge September lead to the Mariners.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Yep, the Angels did suffer a rather substantial slump in 1995. But if you recall, they really lost most of that lead when they dropped 12 of 13 from late August to about Labor Day, then had another 9-game losing streak in mid-September. The Halos actually won their last five games of that season to come back and tie Seattle on the last day and force the 163rd game on Monday, Oct 2 (which is a bit eerie since there could be extra play this year on Mon, Oct 2).

But in the end, it took the then-California Angels a full month to blow a 7½-game lead while the Cardinals are threatening to do that in about a third the time.

People will bring up the 1978 Red Sox, but they took a full month to blow seven games and half a season to blow a larger lead.

The 1914 Boston Braves are certainly in the books for their rally from a 26-40 record and in last 15 games out of first on July 4, before coming back all the way to a 94-59 record at the end and the NL Pennant by a whopping 10½ games. Think about that: Going 68-19 the last three months of the season!

But the 1964 Phillies are really the closest thing to what is happening to the Cardinals right now. Those Phils were 90-60 and had a 6½-game lead with 12 games to play, then dropped their next 10 games before eventually finishing in a tie for second with the Reds, both teams a game behind St. Louis. I can remember bits and pieces of that, primarily because I was a big Johnny Callison fan and I felt pretty bad for him that the Phillies blew it at the end.
    Last edited by Willie Bee; 09-29-06 at 02:50 PM.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I think it would be the 'collapse' of a lifetime if it happened.
    I can't think of a meltdown that compares in my lifetime. 3 games in a MONTH is a lot to ask. 8 1/2 games in less than 2 weeks? Impossible.
    It's amazing how it's lining up, too...
    Capuano (bad 2nd half - but still a tough pitcher) vs Weaver (who probably should be pitching somewhere in latin america).

Then you have Clemens going tonight for the Stros...
    Damn.
    Houston might be up 1/2 game TONIGHT.
    The Braves won't lay down, though... No freakin way they'll lay down against Houston.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Your right Willie. 64 Phillies team that lost 10 straight games with 2 weeks left in the season has to be the worst by far. I really don't think anyone can match that collapse.