boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Aaron Hill hits for cycle again.

Only the second player in history to hit for the cycle twice in the same season.

Babe Herman did it in 1931 for the dodgers.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Absolutely insane, could have picked this shit head up all year in my fantasy league.

Was at the first cycle.

Weird shit. He isn't even uber talented or anything.

Best player on that team is Goldschmidt. He was a single away from the cycle in that game v. the cubs with Maholm pitching.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Nothing special. All a cycle is is a statistical oddity. No special skill required to do it other than luck.

govolz
    govolz's Avatar Become A Pro!

No special skill huh? So when he was a home run away or the triple away u don't think he went up there trying for it... And so u could luck up and hit for a cycle since there is no skill involved right? Get fukin real... It's easier to throw a no hitter than the cycle... Very cool thing to do once much less than twice in a season. Props

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    Nothing special. All a cycle is is a statistical oddity. No special skill required to do it other than luck.
    guys that don't have the speed to get a triple can't do it, so it's not purely luck/statistical oddity

there's no special skill in winning the lottery, yet it is interesting if someone does it twice in a year

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

randy wolf sucks!

BuddyBear
    Update your status

It's a statistical oddity any way you look at it.....take a stats course and you will arrive at that same conclusion.

And if it is not a statistical oddity, do me a favor and predict who will hit the next cycle. Right? Will give you 5000 betpoints if you are correct.

ChalkyDog

It's a statistical oddity any way you look at it.....take a stats course and you will arrive at that same conclusion.

And if it is not a statistical oddity, do me a favor and predict who will hit the next cycle. Right? Will give you 5000 betpoints if you are correct.
    Fukk it, free points.

Paul Goldschmidt.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Guy plays in AZ, might be a small blurb on Sports Center. If it was Jeter or Hamilton, they wouldn't be able to stop talking about it. Just sayin'

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Fukk it, free points.

Paul Goldschmidt.
    LOL and now you see why it is a statistical oddity...because it is random. You have no idea who is going to hit the next cycle. It requires no special skill. When players get scouted, scouts don't say...this guy is a prospect and might hit for the cycle one day. All hitters get 1B, 2B, 3B, and HRs over the course of a season, but to get them all in one game is the oddity.

Anyone who thinks this is something special does not (1) understand baseball and (2) does not understand stats.

Cycles are basically good for trivia questions.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

He's still a bum and his team won't even make the playoffs

ChalkyDog

LOL and now you see why it is a statistical oddity...because it is random. You have no idea who is going to hit the next cycle. It requires no special skill. When players get scouted, scouts don't say...this guy is a prospect and might hit for the cycle one day. All hitters get 1B, 2B, 3B, and HRs over the course of a season, but to get them all in one game is the oddity.

Anyone who thinks this is something special does not (1) understand baseball and (2) does not understand stats.

Well, I was at the game where Hill hit his first cycle. I was at a game a few days later where Goldschmidt was a single away. And I watched a game today where Hill went for a cycle again, and Goldie was once again - one leg from hitting the cycle.

So - you pick a player at random, I will pick Paul Goldschmidt.

lunchbawks
    NB#

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    He's still a bum and his team won't even make the playoffs
    arizona will make the playoffs

1000 point bet?

milwaukee mike

only 340 players in mlb hit a triple last season

miguel cabrera, nick swisher, alex rodriguez, etc etc didn't hit a triple all season

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    only 340 players in mlb hit a triple last season

miguel cabrera, nick swisher, alex rodriguez, etc etc didn't hit a triple all season
    Doesn't mean they can't....

You are missing the substance of the argument I am making. Show me 1 MLB player who has 1000+ AB without a triple? I'll save you the time for Prince Fielder, he has 10. David Ortiz has 16.

Last Brewers to hit for the cycle were Jody Garrett and George Kotaris and what special skills did they have?
    Last edited by BuddyBear; 06-30-12 at 12:02 AM.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

guys that don't have the speed to get a triple can't do it, so it's not purely luck/statistical oddity

there's no special skill in winning the lottery, yet it is interesting if someone does it twice in a year
    i don't agree with buddybear's argument either, but that was a bad analogy there.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    i don't agree with buddybear's argument either, but that was a bad analogy there.
    has nothing to do with speed or anything like that. It's just basically random. In most games, you see 1B, 2B, 3B, and HRs right....you just don't see them all done by the same player in the same game. Sure, we could probably make a list of players more likely than others to hit for a cycle (e.g. Austin Jackson for example vs. Prince Fielder) but at the end of the day, it's just luck and that list would have little predictive value. You can look at the course of baseball history and all the speedsters who have played and most have never hit for the cycle (e.g. Ricky Henderson, Muarry Wills, Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, etc...)

If I asked you who is going to hit the next cycle....nobody has any clue. And if you can't predict an event with any degree of accuracy, then it's just random. And I could ask you after every cycle who will hit the next cycle for the next 100 years and you would probably be wrong each time.

And yes, it is neat that a guy hit for the cycle twice in one season. No disagreement from me.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Hitting for the cycle is a statstical anomaly, that actually proves nothing but is very very cool

-Tim Kurkjian

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Hitting for the cycle is a statstical anomaly, that actually proves nothing but is very very cool

-Tim Kurkjian
    Bingo....

nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Kids got all kinds of talent. Just amazing athletically!!

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Jimmy Rollins

Dont fuk me buddy

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Hamiltons 4 hr game better than hitting for the cycle 3 times in a year.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Cabrera's 5 walks is a bigger accomplishment then this non sense

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    he said it was all luck, I said even if it is all luck it is still interesting when it happens twice in a short period

so I stand by that analogy

govolz

So you're basis of it being a statistical oddity is because you can't pick the next person to do? Ok so pick the next person to throw a perfect game? It must be a staticstacal oddity too since you can't lol

milwaukee mike

this is the part where you lose me and show too much arrogance, the "i'm right and you're crazy or stupid if you disagree" stuff

we were having a somewhat rational discussion and you threw in that, people can "understand baseball" and still have differing opinions as to whether or not hitting for the cycle twice in a 12 day stretch is a special event. it's pretty tough to just hit 2 triples within 12 days

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by govolz View Post
    So you're basis of it being a statistical oddity is because you can't pick the next person to do? Ok so pick the next person to throw a perfect game? It must be a staticstacal oddity too since you can't lol
    perfect game requires even more luck than a cycle

BuddyBear
    Update your status

this is the part where you lose me and show too much arrogance, the "i'm right and you're crazy or stupid if you disagree" stuff

we were having a somewhat rational discussion and you threw in that, people can "understand baseball" and still have differing opinions as to whether or not hitting for the cycle twice in a 12 day stretch is a special event. it's pretty tough to just hit 2 triples within 12 days
    God help you if you think hitting for a cycle requires any sort of special baseball skill. Baseball 101.

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

It is a very special event.

But Buddy is right, it is a statistical anomaly and is a completely random event. Which makes it even cooler that it not only happened to the same person twice in a year, but in the space of a couple of weeks.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Dexter Fowler

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Arencibia in his MLB debut hit 1B, 2B and 2 HR but no one gives a shit about that

How about Hamilton's 4-5 HR game earlier this season?

Like someone else said, the cycle is just a statistical oddity

lunchbawks
    NB#

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Dexter Fowler
    keep dreaming

govolz

Well hell then perfect games, no hitters, 70 hr in a season, and inside the park home runs are all luck to?? That's like sayin Kobe lucked up and hit the game winner. He's not gonna do it alot but it takes skill to have the option to even hit that... Ur basis is because it doesn't happen a lot it's a statistical oddity? That's makes no sense. Over 300 players this year haven't even hit a triple yet... They don't even have the chance to hit for they cycle... When you come up to bat and you've hit 3 of 4 for the cycle trust me they're aiming for that fourth one...

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Hitting 4 hr's in one game is even more of a statistical outlier than hitting for the cycle. Both could be said to be just luck. Gettimg 4 hits in a game, 3 as extra base hits is much more skill than luck. "luck" seems to favor the prepared. Being an outlier or statistical oddity in this sense has more to do woth being skilled and prepared than luck. Winning the lottery is lucky, no skill involved. Apro athlete getting 4 hits in a game is not the same as winning the lottery, even if the odds are the same.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by govolz View Post
    Well hell then perfect games, no hitters, 70 hr in a season, and inside the park home runs are all luck to?? That's like sayin Kobe lucked up and hit the game winner. He's not gonna do it alot but it takes skill to have the option to even hit that... Ur basis is because it doesn't happen a lot it's a statistical oddity? That's makes no sense. Over 300 players this year haven't even hit a triple yet... They don't even have the chance to hit for they cycle... When you come up to bat and you've hit 3 of 4 for the cycle trust me they're aiming for that fourth one...
    I would say your best bet is to take an introductory stats course so that you can understand why it is a statistical anomaly rather than to continue to believe that hitting for a cycle requires some sort of special baseball skill.

I am not going to argue with you. Plenty of stuff on the internet available for you to consult.
    Last edited by BuddyBear; 06-30-12 at 01:11 PM.

12 Last