SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Al McMordie: Angels the Play vs Rangers

Angels the Play vs. Rangers

Game Time: 9/25/2006 10:05:00 PM
    By: Al McMordie

Starting pitching defines many a major league team, and the Angels have the edge in that department over the Rangers. That's why the Halos are the right play tonight at home in Anaheim when they host Texas.

The members of the Rangers' bullpen must be pretty frustrated at the end of this disapointing season. They have performed very well all year with a team relief ERA of 3.56 and WHIP of 1.29. Even since the deadline trade of arguably their best reliever, setup man-now closer Francisco Cordero, the Rangers relief pitching has continued to shine.

Unfortunately for the team, the same cannot be said of their starters. Kevin Millwood (4.36) and Vicente Padilla (4.44) are the only Texas starters with ERAs under 4.50. The rest of the Ranger rotation has been pretty awful for the most part, including Adam Eaton (4.80), John Koronka (5.69), Kameron Loe (5.86), and tonight's starter, Edinson Volquez, who in seven starts has an ERA of 6.53 and WHIP of 1.98.

With such a high-powered offense and one of the better bullpens in the league, the blame for the failure of the Rangers this year must fall squarely on the shoulders of these starters.

The Angels must feel pretty optimistic about next season with some pretty talented young arms in their arsenal including starters Ervin Santana, Jerod Weaver, and tonight's pitcher, young left-hander Joe Saunders. Saunders has been extremely solid for a first-year starter with a winning record of 6-3 and an ERA of 4.29.

The Rangers have lost six of Volquez's seven starts and he has yet to win a game on the road. Saunders is at his best in night games as he is 5-1 with a 2.68 ERA under the lights. Take Los Angeles of Anaheim.

Play: Angels
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 07-21-15 at 03:49 PM. Reason: link does not work

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Texas does have some value in this game, although It's not a game I would even consider playing myself.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Volquez flat out sucks. Either play LAA tonight or the over.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Volquez flat out sucks. Either play LAA tonight or the over.
    You aren't a fan of Edison?

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm just somebody who knows true value OWNED.