SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Scott Spreitzer: D-Backs +150 at San Fran

D-Backs +150 at San Francisco

Game Time: 9/25/2006 10:15:00 PM
    By: Scott Spreitzer
    http://www.phoenixsports.com

The Diamondbacks, with Edgar Gonzalez on the mound, are too good of a value to pass up tonight in their contest against Jason Schmidt and the struggling Giants in San Francisco.

I'm taking the big price with the underdog Diamondbacks on Monday.

The Giants are right in the middle of a major collapse, yet they find themselves laying a hefty price. The high price is due to San Francisco starter Jason Schmidt's numbers against Arizona over the past couple of seasons. But all good things must come to an end.

Edgar Gonzalez, Schmidt's counterpart for Arizona, has pitched quite well away from home this season. In three road starts, he hass allowed just seven ER and 22 baserunners in 19 IP. Gonzalez has outstanding control, walking just two batters in those three road outings.

Meanwhile, Schmidt has been getting away with murder, so to speak. The veteran right-hander has allowed 20 ER, 16 walks and 35 hits in his last five games, a span of just 28 IP. First of all, that's an average of just over five innings per start, and his ERA is an inflated 6.43 with a 1.82 WHIP.

San Francisco has lost four straight and eight of their last nine, allowing 93 runs in the process, or an average of over 10 RPG! Yet, they're laying this huge price? We'll gladly grab the value with the underdog D'backs. Arizona is my side on Monday.

Play: Diamondbacks +150

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here we have two teams that have no shot at post season at all, and are just playing out the string. Gonzalez has been pitching pertty decent as of late, he jut might be worth a shot in this spot IMO.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Both starters have been solid recently. My only lean is towards the under tonight.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Giants have totally given up and are in pathetic shape. No way I'm backing them tonight in this matchup.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't think Arizona would light it up like they did, but another winner nonethsless.