Semper Fidelis
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9220

Need Excel Help Please!

First, I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum. I saw some other Excel and spreadsheet questions here at times, so I assumed this may be the correct forum since I'm discussing baseball. I just need some help with some formulas. It's been forever since I've used Excel, and this version of course is more advanced than what I originally learned several years ago. I have Excel 2007, and I am trying to track an underdog system for baseball to check its profitability. What formula do I use so that totals are automatically calculated? For example, say I use the A column for the team names, the B column for the odds, the C column for the result (W/L), and the D for the $Amount won/lost. Since the odds in the B column will always be + because I am using underdogs, what formula do I use so that when I type in W (for win) in the C column, D will automatically put in whatever the odds were in the B column because that is the $Amount actually won? Conversely, if I type in L (for loss) in the C column, it'll automatically put -100 (assuming 1 unit is $100)? I also want to keep a running calculation every day of the W/L, %, and total $ amount won/lost for the day, as well as for the season. Maybe it'll help to show an example:
    A B C D
    1. June 1
    2. Braves +125 W +125
    3. Orioles +137 L -100
    4. Results 1-1 50% +25
    5. June 2
    6. Phillies +113 W +113
    7. Rays +142 L -100
    8. Blue Jays +117 W +117
    9. Results 2-1 (3-2) 66% (60%) +130 (+155)

I don't know where or if it's even possible to keep a running tally for the entire season, as well as specific days of the week. In this example the numbers in the ( ) represent the season totals. I also want to keep a tally of the bankroll and the % increase as well as units won. I know I could just calculate it myself and just type in the answers, but I know there is an easier way to where it'll automatically input the answer for me in the correct columns. I just don't quite remember how to create the formulas for this. Sorry if this is confusing or if I didn't do a good job explaining. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

msetai
    msetai's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1366

Conversely, if I type in L (for loss) in the C column, it'll automatically put -100 (assuming 1 unit is $100)? I also want to keep a running calculation every day of the W/L, %, and total $ amount won/lost for the day, as well as for the season.
    Haven't tried it in excel but this could work:

=IF(C3="w",B3,-100)

And for the W/L %

=COUNTIF(C3:C4,"w")/(COUNTIF(C3:C4,"w")+COUNTIF(C3:C4,"l"))*100

instead of the *100 you could highlight the column and hit the % button

hopefully that works, bol

Semper Fidelis
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9220

Thanks for your response! I'll try this out and see if it works!