No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Is R.A. Dickey the best pitcher in baseball now?

WTF is going on with this cat?

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

It's only SD, but as a Mets fan, I'm very happy with him and would say he's putting together a great season. Collins is one of the best, if not the best, managers in the team's history.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Tied with Chris Capuano perhaps?

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Huge ballpark helps his cause... I haven't looked deep into it but I'm sure thats a factor.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

For some reason I always like backing him. I always seem to cash when he pitches.

Why I took the Padres today I will never know.

I got my ass kicked in bases today. Sundays are always horrible for me.

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Is R.A. Dickey the best pitcher in baseball now?
    No!

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

Best pitchers...
    1. Capuano
    2. Lilly
    3. Hamels
    4. Weaver
    5. Gonzalez

faheemrob
    faheemrob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 379

Not the best but close... we'll know in a few months

Redscot
    Redscot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5802

I am sure most know his story, but for those who don't, from wikipedia:

Dickey was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the first round (18th overall) of the 1996 Major League Baseball Draft. After being drafted by the Rangers, Dickey was initially offered a signing bonus of $810,000, before a Rangers team physician saw Dickey's throwing (right) arm hanging oddly in a picture. The Rangers subsequently did further evaluation of Dickey, leading to the discovery of a missing ulnar collateral ligament of elbow joint, and reduced their offer to $75,000.[3][4] Dickey has been quoted as saying "Doctors look at me and say I shouldn’t be able to turn a doorknob without feeling pain,"[3] making his ability to pitch somewhat remarkable.

He used to bring it mid 90's and had to totally remake himself. A mid/late 30's guy toiling in the minors, educated cat and busing here and there reinventing himself, that shiznit ain't for everybody. If you have ever heard him speak, dude is an intellectual, and he is taking that approach to the mound and the use of the knuckler. Citi Field is definitely a benefit, but dude is a thinker and a battler and I like his stones. Definitely an interesting story to follow (especially as a Mets fan) I am always waiting for the bubble to pop , but he keeps on trucking.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    Huge ballpark helps his cause... I haven't looked deep into it but I'm sure thats a factor.
    Fences have been moved in significantly. Over half of the homers hit in Citifield this year, would have been warning track teasers in years past.

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    I am sure most know his story, but for those who don't, from wikipedia:

Dickey was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the first round (18th overall) of the 1996 Major League Baseball Draft. After being drafted by the Rangers, Dickey was initially offered a signing bonus of $810,000, before a Rangers team physician saw Dickey's throwing (right) arm hanging oddly in a picture. The Rangers subsequently did further evaluation of Dickey, leading to the discovery of a missing ulnar collateral ligament of elbow joint, and reduced their offer to $75,000.[3][4] Dickey has been quoted as saying "Doctors look at me and say I shouldn’t be able to turn a doorknob without feeling pain,"[3] making his ability to pitch somewhat remarkable.

He used to bring it mid 90's and had to totally remake himself. A mid/late 30's guy toiling in the minors, educated cat and busing here and there reinventing himself, that shiznit ain't for everybody. If you have ever heard him speak, dude is an intellectual, and he is taking that approach to the mound and the use of the knuckler. Citi Field is definitely a benefit, but dude is a thinker and a battler and I like his stones. Definitely an interesting story to follow (especially as a Mets fan) I am always waiting for the bubble to pop , but he keeps on trucking.
    Did you ever see the E60 piece about his childhood? Crazy stuff...

Redscot
    Redscot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5802

Quote Originally Posted by Love The Action View Post
    Did you ever see the E60 piece about his childhood? Crazy stuff...
    No I didn't, though if memory serves me correctly there were some abuse issues....would really like to see that piece...he is a unique character in the big's atm.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Some one read his book, and post a summary.

Thanks in advance.