Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Lance Berkman Considering Retirement

The Cardinals and Lance Berkman have yet to disclose specifics about an injury caused by Berkman stretching for a routine throw from Rafael Furcal, but the veteran is unsure about his future as he awaits MRI results, writes Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch."You think about it when you have a potentially major surgery at this stage of your career. But, again, right now we don't know what it is. But it gives you pause," the first baseman said. "I don't think it's one of those deals where you sit out a week and see where your are. I think it's much more serious than that."Berkman, 36, added that he wouldn't automatically call it a career if he has re-torn his ACL and that he is hopeful that he will be able to bounce back from his injury. The veteran is earning $12MM this season but has appeared in just 13 games thus far.For his career, Berkman owns a .296/.409/.546 slash line across 14 seasons and has earned more than $102MM in total, according to Baseball-Reference.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of my all-time favorites since I grew up in Houston and got to see him in his prime. I was a little surprised he didn't John Elway it last year after St.Louis won it all. Always seemed like something he would do if given the opportunity to win a ring and head out. Berkman already said before that his post-playing career is to become the baseball coach at the University of Texas. Considering Auggie Garrido's team was well below his usual standards and he's 73 ... maybe LB starts chasing his dream earlier?

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

He made a million per game

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Geez, no wonder I'm gonna lose my parlay tonight. Cardinals gonna lose this one for me and get swept.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

As an Astro fan, I'll always be a fan of The Puma. I hope he hasn't seen his last game.

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

How do you 'await ' MRI results?

I've had two ACL reconstructions and the MRI is basically ready for someone to look at as soon as they are done.

Or has he not had the scan yet? Usually you can tell pretty quickly if the ACL is gone. Most of the time if the Drs think its done, its done. MRI just confirms the worst. If there were a line on this, I'd betting on Berkman being done.

EaglesPhan36

The story just words it oddly to start, but if you read enough - the MRI is tomorrow.

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

Yeah, I didn't read enough I'm not that interested in Lance Berkman.

The way it is reported... he knows what's coming.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Lance Berkman Injury: ACL Tear Suspected

by SB Nation MLB News on May 21, 2012 11:01 AM EDT in St. Louis Cardinals News

Gary A. Vasquez-US PRESSWIRE - PresswireMore photos »

Injury Could End Berkman's Career

The CardinalsLance Berkman left Saturday’s game against the Los Angeles Dodgers with a knee injury and after the game he couldn’t even put weight on the leg in the clubhouse.
    Now, a report from Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the injury could be worse than originally suspected:
    Berkman advanced the possibility of having merely torn his meniscus Saturday night. Sunday he still exhibited acute stiffness around the knee. "I really can’t do anything," he lamented.

Sources familiar with Saturday’s preliminary examination by two Dodgers team doctors said Sunday that an ACLtear is suspected.

Berkman, placed on the disabled list Sunday morning, recognized that his next game may be a long time off.
    If this turns out to be true, it could mean the end of Berkman’s career:
    "You think about it when you have a potentially major surgery at this stage of your career," he said. "… I don’t think it’s one of those deals where you sit out a week and see where you are. I think it’s much more serious than that."
    MRI results with a definitive diagnosis are expected later Monday.
    Matt Adams, Matt Carpenter, and Allen Craig (when he returns from the disabled list) all provide potential internal options to replace Berkman.

EaglesPhan36

ACL tear confirmed. Looks like the Puma may be headed out. Great career. Some good stories around about the 2005 Astros and how pathetic their lineup was outside of Berkman. Guy was a horse in his prime, put up his numbers every year.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

they confirmed ACL? if thats the case, i doubt he plays again.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Was a class act from what all other players say.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Damn that sucks... Good dude but he'll be set

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Looks like he will be back.

Berkman to Matheny: 'I'll be back'

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny got a call from Houston about mid-day today. He expected the caller to be a little punchy after anesthesia, but Matheny heard first baseman Lance Berkman loud and clear.Berkman, after having meniscus and cartilage tears repaired in his right knee, told Matheny, “Yeah, I’m going to be back.”The Cardinals announced that Berkman was likely to be out eight to 10 weeks worth of rehabilitation and recovery, but that was better than the alternative. Berkman had feared there would be damage to the anterior cruciate ligament but none was found, according to Matheny. “I think he was surprised,” said Matheny. “He thought it probably was worse. I was interested to hear from him that soon. I thought he would still be medicated.“But it was great to hear his voice and hear that excitement. He’s thinking about counting down the days until he’s back.”Berkman will spend the early days/weeks of his rest period in Houston before he is scheduled to come back to St. Louis. But it appears the Cardinals will have their middle-of-the-order threat back well before the end of the season.“It was great news,” said Matheny “As good a news as we could get. The doctors were extremely optimistic about what they saw.”