Shaudius
    Shaudius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 702

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post

No, I'm not dodging him. He didn't really address my points. He makes a compelling argument, but not one that I haven't heard a thousand times.
    Please explain to me which point of yours I didn't address, you've only addressed one of mine in all of your responses, my assertion that you will make BigLaw despite what the statistics say, but failed to address anything else of what I have said. I said, your chances of BigLaw are low, the statistics on BigLaw placement bore this out. To this you responded, but look at my LSAT score, that proves I'm a winner, to which I responded, the LSAT is not dispositive. You have not refuted this assertion, do you believe the LSAT score is dispositive? You have also failed to explained why you want BigLaw, besides the money(or is it just about the money?), or even stated that you know what practicing law even is(hint: it is not what you see on Law and Order or Boston Legal, especially not for those who don't work at white shoe firms). You followed that up with some bullshit about how people on the internet are unhappy, so of course you find unhappy people on the internet, but that's not a substantive response because nothing that I've said has anything to do with my own happiness, a point that you seem to fail to grasp. All of my points are about the reality of law and the legal profession based on, again, statistics and surveys, but go on thinking that its just because law school didn't work out for me(here's a hint, law school did work out for me, and I still see all the arguments and think its basically always a terrible idea) or that you're, as you've probably been told your entire life in the rich Chicago suburbs(I'm gonna go with Northbrook, but Glenview works too) that you're a unique and beautiful snowflake who would make an amazing attorney.

And all of this leads you to believe that I'm the one who didn't address your points? As I said at the top of my post before, I went line by line and addressed each of your points in turn. I mean, come on, for someone who got such a high score on their LSAT, I'd expect to see some quality counterarguments to both my original points and my line by line response. Instead I get the equivalent of "Zomg, look at my LSAT score" and "Your argument is nothing I haven't heard before" The first of which isn't really a great response to my, "explain how your GPA does not explain away some sort of lack of ability or drive or how you're going to suddenly develop this awesome work ethic now that it "counts"". And the second of which isn't even a response to an argument, its a complete dismissal that I've never said anything, which just goes to prove that you can't change the mind of lemmings about jumping off the cliff.

Beyond that you respond with this, which indites your position more than anything I could say, and its straight from your own mouth:

Unless you are extremely lucky, you don't enjoy your job. It is a means to an end. Who likes working hard? Not very many people.

I'd probably have to play a sport to truly find a job I'd rather be doing than in my leather recliner watching sports.
    You know who likes working hard, BigLaw associates. The ones that make it anyway. Again, why do you think the burn out rate is so high? Because, you are right, most people don't enjoy working hard. And furthermore, if you don't enjoy working hard, what makes you think that you won't just regress to your old undergraduate habits at the first sign of hard work in law school(and make no mistake even the smartest person in the world has to work hard to succeed at law school)? This is a point you never address except to say, "I can work hard when I want to". So you just didn't give a shit in undergrad? Again, this continues to sound more and more like law school by default.

The point ultimate is this, BigLaw associates both hate their job and have to work at it so hard that it can't just be a means to an end, between sleeping and bodily functions working 80 hours a week basically means that you are actually physically hurting yourself or you have no time to make work anything but your life. There is no means to an end with BigLaw because BigLaw is both your means and your end. But continue to think that working 80/hr week gives you time to do what you really love, that is to say if you make it as one of the 20% who make BigLaw.
    Last edited by Shaudius; 02-25-12 at 04:26 PM.

Hoopster007
    Hoopster007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Cheating and getting away with it is fine in my book.
    Cheating and getting caught means you suck at cheating. Kinda funny, but again, it is your body.
    Cheating and then declaring yourself an innocent victim when in reality you are a lucky bastard who benefited from an honest mistake by a transporter = complete douche.

If Braun was a Cub I'd hate him for this too. I hated Sosa when he corked his bat and then said it was for batting practice. This is pretty much on that level of stupidity.

No your level of stupidity is disliking Sosa for a corked bat. The fact that he grew into a comic character had nothing to do with it. Now that's funny. And I love Cubs fans that are in love with calling miller park wrigley north but only when you are good. In a city that big I hope they can carry some fans 90 miles north. But when you suck you just live on those small things seeing the cubs are mostly useless as far as winning goes. So for now I guess you will live with the brewers folks coming and making the noise at wrigley as well seeing you guys are in the toliet. Gotta love a good bandwagon and that's all the cubs got. Millions of people that can cheer at random times and be the greatest fans and then claim they don't care when they suck. Must be nice living in that world.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopster007 View Post
    No your level of stupidity is disliking Sosa for a corked bat. The fact that he grew into a comic character had nothing to do with it. Now that's funny. And I love Cubs fans that are in love with calling miller park wrigley north but only when you are good. In a city that big I hope they can carry some fans 90 miles north. But when you suck you just live on those small things seeing the cubs are mostly useless as far as winning goes. So for now I guess you will live with the brewers folks coming and making the noise at wrigley as well seeing you guys are in the toliet. Gotta love a good bandwagon and that's all the cubs got. Millions of people that can cheer at random times and be the greatest fans and then claim they don't care when they suck. Must be nice living in that world.
    How many NL Central titles have the Brewers won since the league realigned? The Cubs have won more so I think it is funny you are acting like you have something to brag about against Cubs fans.

Who says I don't care when they suck? Cubs fans are great... most loyal fans in the country because they do still sell out in bad season.

Look back to Atlanta drawing 10,000 a game when they were bad. Or New York Yankees drawing 15K a game when they were bad.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Shadius,

I didn't try in undergrad for some personal reasons. I also didn't really care much. Simple as that. It isn't really an indication of how I will handle law school because I had no goals in undergrad. There was no class rank to worry about or strive for or a goal at the end of the road.

AS for 80 hour work weeks, I think you're exaggerating but I guess I'll find out if you are. That being said, I'm not too concerned about it. Everyone experiences these things differently. Skimmed over most of your post though to be honest because it seems you are repeating yourself and I don't want to read a full page on this forum . I'll do enough reading the next few decades.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    the Jews always win.
    I suppose that's true, even though he didn't have to use the race card. Guess I'm the only one on the board that thinks he is innocent though.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1628

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    the Jews always win.

First 1234