I was asked last night at the sports bar "Hey Nash, here's a hypothetical for ya, you got the first round overall pick in this years fantasy league, who you selecting?"

Before I break down that question, this will be my all inclusive, everything 2012 MLB thread, from fantasy to wagering on live games, and everything else in between.

OK, if I am lucky enough to have the first overall pick (which I don't really want) because we have snake drafts and I have had most of my success picking from the middle of every round, instead of the top of round 1, bottom of round 2, top round 3 etc.etc. etc.

For the past 6 years it was a no brainer, Pujols #1 pick in fantasy, 6 years before that, it was A-Rod.
No more, Miggy (in my opinion) is your best option.

Why Miggy?
He's third base eligible, that position is only three deep, after Longoria is selected, there will be a be a big drop off in talent.
Why Miggy?
Because Cabrera has Prince hitting behind him, so he will be seeing pitches all season, opposing pitchers can not put Cabrera on by pitching around him with Prince and Avila in the 4 and 5 holes.

Expect a huge, productive year out of Mggy.
How big?
Like .320 30+ 120+ 100 runs scored and .425 OBA huge, while winning the AL MVP hardware.

You can make an argument for Albert, you know what you are going to get from Pujols, he is the model of consistency, but I think the switch to the AL might take a little getting used to, pitchers would rather pitch old Torri Hunter in the clean up spot than Pujols in the 3 hole.
Expect Albert to put up .305-35-115 numbers, and if you are holding the #2 or #3 pick, and he's not picked #1, grab him but I'm selecting Cabrera with the overall #1 selection.

I got Kemp third choice on my big board, and the only reason why he doesn't rank higher is because unlike Pujols and Miggy, Kemp has not done it year in year out, but he did have a career season last season. Can he do it again? He's capable, I say he will put up numbers some where between 2010 and 2011 season.
But know this, stolen bases are vital in fantasy, and I love Kemp for his stolen base factor alone, what's the old adage, speed never slumps.
Kemp will put up .295 31-115 type numbers this season, but will steal you 25 (or more) bases, and that is big.
Grab Kemp between 3 and 5 picks.

Jose Bautista in my #4 pick, and is the second best third baseman.
Look for .270 40-120 type output.

Tulo is the best overall SS, is a monster, and I would take him top six.
SS position is not deep at all, and he'll give 30-110.300.
A must pick if he's there in the middle of the first and the big boys are gone.

First base is very deep, if you miss out on Votto or Prince, there is always going to be a A-Gone or Teixeira type just waiting for you.
If Albert, Prince, Bautista are gone early, you don't need to spend your first round pick on a first baseman, there are nine of them that will produce this year.

Second base is razor thin, after Cano and Pedroia, there is really nothing.
( I do have a major sleeper at second base, which I will discuss later this week) but if you have a mid to late first round draft pick, it would behoove you to select either Cano or Pedroia (who puts up fantasy numbers, because of the stolen base factor) as good as Cano.
The drop off after Pedroia at second base is huge, draft one of these two early.

So, having said all this, the answer to the original question is, I am selecting Miggy overall #1

Tomorrow, let's talk pitching.