SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Reds at Giants

Reds at Giants

By: Al McMordie
    http://www.PhoenixSports.com
    8/25/2006 6:34:14 AM

When the Reds and Tigers got off to their hot starts this season, there were quite a few 'experts' saying things like "talk to me in September and we'll see where they are".

Well, it's just about September and the Tigers have the best record in baseball and a 5 1/2 game lead in their division, and the Reds, perhaps even a longer shot than Detroint to keep it going all season, are only 1/2 game behind the Cardinals and a game up in the NL wild card standings.

Yes these unlikely teams are for real, and for the Reds, its been guys like righthanded starter Aaron Harang that have put them in this position. All Harang has done so far is win 13 games (tied for the lead in the NL) and throw a league-leading 4 complete games. The Reds have won 17 of his 27 starts this year, not bad for a guy who had a losing record in 2005. His 13 wins is the most by a Reds starter since Jimmy Haynes (15) in 2002. Harang has done something else that may come in very handy should the Reds win the wild card race and that is win on the road. He is 7-5 with a 2.76 ERA away from Cincy this season, and that ERA is almost a full run lower than his overall ERA of 3.72. He's on the road tonight against a very inconsistent Matt Morris and a Giants team that seems more concerned with what Barry Bonds is going to do next year than they are with winning games.

Play on the Reds.
    Last edited by SBRforum Staff; 08-25-06 at 03:28 PM.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Reds are very familiar with Morris and should get to him early. The Reds are also tough on the road, so I also like them tonight.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Morris has been very shakey as of late. he seems to be giving up runs in the 1st inning alot lately too, and thats never a good sign when i pitcher does that.

i too will take the reds in this game.