OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

MLB.TV Questions

I am seriously considering purchasing mlb tv this year. The price looks right but I have one very important question.

How much bandwidth will streaming 1 game in HD use?

Thanks!

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

I have no idea, but you MUST HAVE MLBTV!!!!!

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

agree with players

randy you have limited internet?

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    I have no idea, but you MUST HAVE MLBTV!!!!!
    Yes its become very apparent lol! Unfortunately I live in a place called Canada, where they think its the stoneage and like to charge like crazy for bandwidth.

I need to know because I need to calculate how much more bandwidth I need to buy and if it crosses a certain point then Ill have to get the mlb package thru my tv provider..

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    randy you have limited internet?
    Yes

Luckily I can add increments of 40gb (or 50gb cant remember) for $5 per month. The only catch is you must add this before the month starts, thats why I need to know so I can estimate how much more gb I need to add!

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

premium version worth it

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    premium version worth it
    I know!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I just need to know the bandwidth 1 game in HD will consume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Tough question....send an email to MLB.com...surely they'll answer

Sounds like a shltty setup for Internet. What happens if you reach your max for the month...they just shut that shit off??

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Tough question....send an email to MLB.com...surely they'll answer Sounds like a shltty setup for Internet. What happens if you reach your max for the month...they just shut that shit off??
    Worse. When I was with Rogers I got 80gb a month. If I went over 80gb in the month I would be charged $2.50 PER gb that I go over.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Fuk that noise

Can you even monitor where you're at during the month?

ordonezv
    ordonezv's Avatar Become A Pro!

MLB

Premium version

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_nexdef.jsp

It says "If a game is streamed in HD, you may receive an HD quality picture with a subscription to MLB.TV or MLB.TV Premium, installation of our NexDef software, and an Internet connection with consistent bandwidth of at least 3 Mbps," which would imply 3Mbps, but they might have more than one bandwidth level they consider "HD," so I'd e-mail and ask to be sure it's not potentially higher.

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

It will probably take 3-4 gigs per day on medium settings watching both games per day. (7 and 10)

HD will be at least a few gigs for one game on its own.

80GB will be a struggle if you watch it every day.

You can probably get away watching in SD, especially if its just on a laptop or a tablet, but on your TV, it just doesn't look right if its not in HD.

Just pay an extra $10 per month for the bandwidth and see how you go.

It is worth it. It is very quick and you can watch every game. It actually gets to my TV in Australia quicker than my ESPN HD cable TV feed(!)(!)

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    It will probably take 3-4 gigs per day on medium settings watching both games per day. (7 and 10) HD will be at least a few gigs for one game on its own. 80GB will be a struggle if you watch it every day. You can probably get away watching in SD, especially if its just on a laptop or a tablet, but on your TV, it just doesn't look right if its not in HD. Just pay an extra $10 per month for the bandwidth and see how you go. It is worth it. It is very quick and you can watch every game. It actually gets to my TV in Australia quicker than my ESPN HD cable TV feed(!)(!)
    Ok I estimated 3-4gigs per game. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_nexdef.jsp

It says "If a game is streamed in HD, you may receive an HD quality picture with a subscription to MLB.TV or MLB.TV Premium, installation of our NexDef software, and an Internet connection with consistent bandwidth of at least 3 Mbps," which would imply 3Mbps, but they might have more than one bandwidth level they consider "HD," so I'd e-mail and ask to be sure it's not potentially higher.
    That is internet speed. Not usage. But thanks.

jgilmartin

Quote Originally Posted by OMGRandyJackson View Post
    That is internet speed. Not usage. But thanks.
    Well, you could always do the math and figure out what the usage is...

pint86
    pint86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2938

I purchased MLB.TV last year and loved it! So nice being able to watch games in good quality on my phone when I'm not at home. The blackout restrictions are BS though. I'm from Vancouver and they block out the Blue Jay's games. I guess it's a Roger's Sportsnet thing, but come on, not like I am physically able to attend Jay's games. Besides that no other issues.

I feel sorry for you OMGRJ, I would hate to have to monitor my streaming, I only have to do that with my phones data, not my home internet. Hopefully you can find a cost friendly plan because MLB.TV is awesome!

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    Well, you could always do the math and figure out what the usage is...
    If I knew the math I would?

Quote Originally Posted by pint86 View Post
    I purchased MLB.TV last year and loved it! So nice being able to watch games in good quality on my phone when I'm not at home. The blackout restrictions are BS though. I'm from Vancouver and they block out the Blue Jay's games. I guess it's a Roger's Sportsnet thing, but come on, not like I am physically able to attend Jay's games. Besides that no other issues. I feel sorry for you OMGRJ, I would hate to have to monitor my streaming, I only have to do that with my phones data, not my home internet. Hopefully you can find a cost friendly plan because MLB.TV is awesome!
    Yea Im a little cheesed about the BJ being blacked out. But I work evenings when the majority of their games are on so its not too bad cause Ill be able to catch the archived game. As for weekends, Ill have to use a proxy lol!

Also does anyone know if this lets you have multiple log ins? Like with netflix I can watch a movie on my comp while my brother watches one on his comp, all under the same account. Does MLB.TV allow this?

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

I have it.. be weary though... they automatically charge you every year. Once you sign up... so if you only want it one year.. make sure you cancel it the following year.... they charged me feb 20th last year... a month a half before the season started
    Points Awarded:

byronbb gave ebbearsfb1 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

A couple of years ago, when I was limited to 20 GB/month and I bought MLBTV, I would watch a few innings per day, and other random videos and would just barely reach 20 GB.

I have recently switched to getting 60GB/month and I watch everything I want to and never go over. This is even with 2 other people using it and watching videos. Baseball games are long and drawn out though, but I trained myself to always watch things in lowest quality (which is fine). HD is BS for me. In HD, soccer games can take 1.5 - 2 GBs to stream.

ebbearsfb1

I just checked renews feb 29th... I'm locked in at 119.95... and I get the feature to watch on the phone or whatever it is... now I just need to get the cord to hook up computer to the tv

BigDaddy
    BigDaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 729

it's a must have if you bet baseball daily

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Let's say that a 1.5 hour dvd that you download (via torrent) is around 1.5gb. So let's say 3 gigs for a 3 hr ball game.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

If you get MLB.tv invest in the PS3 application.

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    they automatically charge you every year. Once you sign up... so if you only want it one year.. make sure you cancel it the following year
    Good to know, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    but I trained myself to always watch things in lowest quality (which is fine). HD is BS for me.
    HD is the only way. Anything less is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Let's say that a 1.5 hour dvd that you download (via torrent) is around 1.5gb. So let's say 3 gigs for a 3 hr ball game.
    Yea thats what I was thinking thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    If you get MLB.tv invest in the PS3 application.
    Got it, along with the xbox 360, and it works on the playbook

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

here's a link to an article about the same issue with NetFlix streaming

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/03/netf...by-23-for.html

but yeah, HD is about 1-2GB/hour.

jgilmartin

If I knew the math I would?
    Certainly. Mbps stands for megabits per second.

(3 megabits per second / 8 megabit in a megabyte) * 60 seconds in a minute * 60 minutes in an hour * 3 hours in the average baseball game = 4,050 MB or about 4 GB.

Gee

If I knew the math I would? Yea Im a little cheesed about the BJ being blacked out. But I work evenings when the majority of their games are on so its not too bad cause Ill be able to catch the archived game. As for weekends, Ill have to use a proxy lol! Also does anyone know if this lets you have multiple log ins? Like with netflix I can watch a movie on my comp while my brother watches one on his comp, all under the same account. Does MLB.TV allow this?
    It should be fine.

I have had games going on my TV, laptop and ipad all at the same time before. Never been a drama.

Don't know what they are like if the connections are coming from different IPs, but if they are coming from the same place, they don't care.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Good to know, thank you. HD is the only way. Anything less is garbage. Yea thats what I was thinking thanks! Got it, along with the xbox 360, and it works on the playbook
    one thing to keep in mind on the mobile part that they got me on last year...

i have an iphone and an ipad....the app to watch live games is available on both which is great for watching in other places that have wifi or even if you have a decent phone signal

but where they fukked everyone is that they charged 14.99 for EACH APP in addition to your annual purchase of the package

forget that you're buying the same app for two like branded devices....they still charge for both. biggest negative i've ever had with MLBTV. haven't seen how they'll handle it this year but they did catch some flack so hopefully it will change this year.

Gee

Also make sure that you have a phone that supports live streaming before you get the app.

its strange in that it doesn't work for certain phones.

I had a galaxy s2 last year and it would not stream games. I had to edit the build.prop, so mlb.tv thought it was a galaxy nexus - probably more trouble than it is worth, because that edit stuffs a few things up and requires a reset each time u change it from nexus and back to galaxy s2.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    I have it.. be weary though... they automatically charge you every year. Once you sign up... so if you only want it one year.. make sure you cancel it the following year.... they charged me feb 20th last year... a month a half before the season started
    Dude thank you for posting this.

secretstash
    secretstash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 45

totally a waste.. every game can be found online for free and they are in fact mlb streams

-stash

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by secretstash View Post
    totally a waste.. every game can be found online for free and they are in fact mlb streams

-stash
    true to a point but the service is really good and you don't have to hassle with anything but one site.

ebbearsfb1

Right...what's good for me is when I'm at work during the day mlb tv works, some other systems first row etc.. don't work.. its worth the money, but like I said just watch about being charged the next year.. also make sure you find out what teams are blacked out. For me I live in nj so the mets, yankees, phillies are blacked out, and some reason the nationals and orioles are also... lucky I like the pirates and indians so its not an issue... just strange... overall its worth the money... even if you watch even 60 games its only 2 dollars a game... catch more its even less

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

Does anyone know how they are doing it this year for tablets? Last year i just used to log on the site and watch with no problems from galaxy tab.

I just went to the media center to watch an old game just to make sure they renewed my subscription but when i went to watch the game it gave me a error saying it didnt support Android device or some shit.

Are yiu going to havw to purchase the at bat 12 app than watch that way?

Gee

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    Does anyone know how they are doing it this year for tablets? Last year i just used to log on the site and watch with no problems from galaxy tab. I just went to the media center to watch an old game just to make sure they renewed my subscription but when i went to watch the game it gave me a error saying it didnt support Android device or some shit. Are yiu going to havw to purchase the at bat 12 app than watch that way?
    can't you just configure your device to tell mlb that it is a desktop? for some of the browsers there is an internal setting. if you are using stock, enter about:debug into the address bar and change it there.

edit: it might be about:useragent . my tab is at home. one of them should work.

purchasing the app is another way. if you get it off blackmarket alpha they won't let you stream though. i dunno how, but only the paid one works for streaming, but the pirated one works for everything else (including audio).
    Last edited by Gee; 02-14-12 at 05:27 PM.

12 Last