SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

St Louis @ NY Mets: Under 9.5

By: Sonny Lafouchi
    http://www.NSAwins.com
    8/23/2006 8:49:15 AM

Today the National Sports Advisors look for St Louis and NY Mets to score under 9.5 runs tonight.

Mark Mulder (6-5, 6.09 ERA) toes the slab tonight for St Louis. Mulder started the season 5-1 with a 3.69 ERA after defeating the Mets 1-0 on May 17 at Busch Stadium.

The left-hander's season went down hill after that outing, however, going 1-4 with an 11.39 ERA in his next six starts before being placed on the DL June 21 with an injury in his throwing shoulder.

After three minor league rehab starts for Triple-A Memphis, Mulder said pain did not bother him and pronounced himself ready to return to the Cardinals staff.

Mulder defeated Steve Trachsel (12-5, 4.79), who tops the hill for the Mets Wednesday, on May 17, but Trachsel is a dominant 10-1 in 16 starts since. His 10 wins since June 9 are the most in the National League, and place him in a tie with John Garland of the Chicago White Sox for the major league lead.

Trachsel won his third consecutive start on Friday, giving up three runs in seven innings of a 6-3 victory over Colorado.

The right-hander is 9-9 with a 4.36 ERA in 27 career starts against St Louis, but has not picked up a win against them since Sept. 22, 1999.

The bottom line is Trachsel has been pitching superb and we look for him to limit the Cardinals to no more than a few runs. Mulder claims he is ready to go and that his shoulder is fine and we think he can give St Louis 5 strong innings before the bullpen takes over and does the rest.

Play the UNDER.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mulder returns to make his first start since June 20th and I doubt he goes deep. Keep this in mind with that Cardinals pen if you play the under.

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Mets

Mulder gets rocked.

Then Hancock comes in and gets rocked.

I'm huge on the Mets. If this bet hits, I'm done with baseball for the year.

edit: nevermind, i better not say that.
    Last edited by Hoja Verdes; 08-23-06 at 03:05 PM.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoja Verdes
    Mulder gets rocked.

Good luck and welcome to SBR.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

first off, welcome to the sbrforum Hoja Verdes

i'm not sure what to really think of this game at all. mulder's first game off the DL, and after that loss the cardinals had last night is never a good thing to back the cardinals or the under in this spot.

i'd probly pass on this game myself, but i'd probly take the over in the game if i had to pick a side.

darkghost
    darkghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10547

Quote Originally Posted by Hoja Verdes
    Mulder gets rocked.

I agree with you. Mulder will not be sharp tonight. Mets and the over are my play.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Honestly, I will pass on the game.
    But I think St Louis is the right side in this game...

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I know this is after the fact but I'm floored that someone actually targeted the under in this game out of all the games today. To do that you couldn't have known anything about Mulder's rehab starts.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

heh, beauty seeing Mulder almost beat the over by HIMSELF.

I don't know what happened to Mulder, but something is DEFINITLY wrong. He looked 2000% different from the guy that threw low, hard and pitches that broke DOWN after starting low - while beating the Mutts 1-0 earlier this year... Outside of Webb in Zona, he had the best performance I'd seen all year and it wasn't close.

What is wrong with Mulder right now? His fastball didn't even clock 90 when he un-corked it - and his breaking stuff just hung.

Did someone do his wife or something ala Patrick Roy?

TexAg001
    TexAg001's Avatar Become A Pro!

Again I am speaking in hind sight but I am amazed like Wassy that this was an under play reccomendation. Did this guy have a tape of Mulder pitching for the As in his VCR and mistakenly thing it was Mulder in one of his rehab starts?