bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

which teams will pack it in by next week?

looking like there's a few teams on the verge of being knocked out of the playoff races.

#1. the blue jays:

that fight tonight between Gibbons and Lilly most likely put that team into shambles beyond repair.

#2. the red sox:

looks like the red sox are just going thru the motions now after being swept at home in 5 straight games against the Yankees.

#3. the astros

I hate to even say this one because i felt this team would have made the big run. but after that 8th inning breakdown tonight against the reds, as well as the Oswalt injury really being so uncertain you can't help to wonder if they will even keep fighting or not. my guess is they won't if they lose another one to the reds tomorrow.

which teams do you feel might show signs of packing it in by next week ?

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Depending on how the weekend goes for them, Cardinals.
    Last edited by mad; 08-22-06 at 03:51 AM.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Houston has to win the next two in Cincinnati, and then at least three of four in Pittsburgh, or they might as well pack it in, as sad as that makes me to say.

I'm not ready to count the Red Sox in this group at all.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

In the AL I think the Blue Jays are the obvious one.
    Whoever loses the Red Sox - Angels series might as well pack it up too.
    In the NL the WC is still wide open but they are a bunch of teams that are done too.
    As nice a story as Girardi's Marlins have been they're out.
    Houston is done after loosing Oswalt and Backe and trading Preston Wilson to the Cards.
    Milwaukee and Colorado out.
    The Braves would need a miracle, like a 8-1 homestand with Thompson and Ramirez in the DL. (schedule might help)
    San Francisco is too old to make a run... I dont see that happening.
    The rest of the team still have a shot...
    Arizona hasnt been playing well but they can still make it.
    The team to beat might be Philly, they can play man.
    Padres are still in although I dont see it happening...
    And the Reds just might hang on, against all odds.
    Its gonna be fun to watch.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Houston is done after loosing Oswalt and Backe and trading Preston Wilson to the Cards.
    I wish we had traded Mr Doubleplay to the Cardinals since that would've meant we got something in return. But we didn't. He was stinking up the lineup as it was, and it was the right move to make since there is more trade interest (for this winter) in Jason Lane than there would have been in Preston Wilson. Luke Scott coming in and claiming a starting OF job made someone expendable, and Wilson was the most logical choice.

But I do agree that Houston's going to play their final game on Oct 1st this season

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I tell ya: the NL is in a sad state when the Reds might get in to the playoffs because no one else is good enough to take it. They are all just awful. I think the Mets could beat the Reds in a 5 game series without Glavine and Pedro if they had to. That's how bad these NL teams are.

E

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

the one team we might really need to watch closely in the next week or so is the phillies. now that Rowand is most likely out for the year, thats a big blow to there team from not only an offensive side, but the defensive side as well.

JT16
    JT16's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    the one team we might really need to watch closely in the next week or so is the phillies. now that Rowand is most likely out for the year, thats a big blow to there team from not only an offensive side, but the defensive side as well.
    Rowand has struggled at the plate most of the year. Victorino is a talent just waiting for his time. He can do more than just fill in. The Moyer deal made this team believe again. But I don't see them catching the Reds.