Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mets looking for an outfielder??

This was in ESPN's "guessing central"

With Cliff Floyd hobbled and the Mets' right-field situation unsettled, the Diamondbacks' Shawn Green might be a possible outfield replacement, according to reports out of New York and Arizona.
    Green would have to waive his no-trade clause, but a source told Newsday that the outfielder would likely agree to a trade to the Mets.

Any trade would have to be completed by the Aug. 31 deadline, when postseason rosters have to be set.

So what do you think??
    Any truth behind this or another ESPN made up story??

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, I'll say this much... Shawn Green's contract will allow him to clear waivers!

I just question if he still really has anything left in the tank.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Youre right, and the Mets havent been playing very good of late... I think trading Nady away was a big mistake...
    Even if Green is far from what he once was this could make their lineup trully fearsome...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

nobody really does realize how big of loss Nady really was to that team. He was a very key role player for the mets this year.

jesterson
    jesterson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nady was overachieving this year, simple as that. He rarely came up with the big hit, was often the 8th place hitter, and was average at best defensively. Still, he was having a solid season, but I certainly wouldn't say it was a "big" loss. Sanchez was a BIG loss.

I really doubt the Mets are going to get Green...they just called up Tucker, have Ledee, as well as Milledge and Chavez (who's better as the 4th OF, admittedly). Now, a lot depends on the status of Floyd, if he's gonna be out a while then maybe they'll entertain the idea of trading for Green, but not for anything substantial in terms of prospects.

As Randolph put it, "It's too early. There's a long way to go, I don't think we need another outfielder. A lot depends upon how Milledge progresses. There's no urgency right now. But it might be a different story three weeks from now."

Green's an overpriced answer to a problem that will resolve itself because when Floyd comes back, do the Mets really want Milledge riding the pine with the huge lead they have? Nope.