bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'd like to hear you mets fans thoughts on this one

the mets plan on having a big pre-game ceremony on august 19th to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the 1986 championship team. the plan was to invite each of the available members of that team (minus the guys who are current day coaches and of course Doc Gooden who is in prison).

it was revealed last week (without a reason given) that Darryl Strawberry was not going to attend the big event. now it appears we know why... it seems that it was a money issue.

it's sad that money must come in between such a celebration.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

I heard Billy Buckner was going to take Strawberry's place at the ceremony, may just be a rumor.

But would have Buckner even beat Wilson to 1st base if he would have fielded the ball cleanly?

spliff
    spliff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Strawberry has a habit err...I mean family to feed you know.

I am a Mets fan, but I've only been one for the last 10 years. I would say let him out.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by clonecat
    But would have Buckner even beat Wilson to 1st base if he would have fielded the ball cleanly?
    That's what I've always wondered. I don't think he would have had much chance anyway.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

"But would have Buckner even beat Wilson to 1st base if he would have fielded the ball cleanly?....."

I use to have nightmares about that very same question...I think Wilson wins the race, putting Mookie at first and Knight at 3rd. But the question I've always had: Who would have batted next for the Mets?
    Last edited by Stumpage; 08-10-06 at 02:02 AM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by clonecat
    I heard Billy Buckner was going to take Strawberry's place at the ceremony, may just be a rumor.

if that rumor was true he would get about a 20 minute standing ovation i'm sure

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpage
    I use to have nightmares about that very same question...I think Wilson wins the race, putting Mookie at first and Knight at 3rd. But the question I've always had: Who would have batted next for the Mets?
    Howard Johnson was on deck and Lee Mazzilli was in the hole. Doing some 'filing' here at the site and just now ran across this thread.

It would have been close, but I think Bucker gets there ahead of Mookie. Next question, if Mookie beats Buckner to the bag, is Ray Knight too far around third and maybe Buckner can get him at the plate or going back to the 3B bag?

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14461

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    the mets plan on having a big pre-game ceremony on august 19th to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the 1986 championship team. the plan was to invite each of the available members of that team (minus the guys who are current day coaches and of course Doc Gooden who is in prison).

it was revealed last week (without a reason given) that Darryl Strawberry was not going to attend the big event. now it appears we know why... it seems that it was a money issue.

it's sad that money must come in between such a celebration.
    It's a sign of our times I guess . . .