SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tampa Bay Devil Rays vs. Seattle Mariners

By: Ben Burns
    http://www.BenBurnsConsulting.com
    8/9/2006 7:22:58 AM

Seattle, which always seems to struggle vs. the A's, was swept by Oakland over the weekend.

Defeating the Devil Rays has been a much easier task. The Mariners won Monday's series opener by a 5-4 score.

Last night, Richie Sexon hit a walk-off grand-slam in bottom of the 10th inning, giving the Mariners a 5-1 victory. That demoralizing loss drops the Devil Rays to a horrid 18-41 on the road and a poor 1-6 their last seven games in Seattle. The Mariners figure to have an advantage on the mound this afternoon. Washburn has pitched fairly well recently having allowed two earned runs or less in four of his last six starts.

During that stretch he has managed a respectable 3.31 ERA. Washburn has also owned the Devil Rays over his career. In 12 appearances against Tampa Bay he has gone 8-2 with a stellar 2.82 ERA. Shields, on the other hand, has gone 2-4 (team is 2-6) with a 6.55 ERA in eight road starts, while allowing opponents a high .344 batting average. Lets lay the price with the home team as the Mariners build momentum from last night's dramatic victory and earn the series sweep.

Prediction: Seattle Mariners

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Both pitchers haven't exactly been throwing lights out lately. I really do not have an opinion on a side but the over looks nice.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i can't lay that type of wood on this game. i think the over is probly the play on this game as well.