Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Dodgers are red hot!!!

I just don't get this team. First they lose eight striaght and now they have won eleven in a row. Is this team for real guys, or is another huge losing streak in the forecast?

dvorak51
    dvorak51's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    I just don't get this team. First they lose eight striaght and now they have won eleven in a row. Is this team for real guys, or is another huge losing streak in the forecast?
    With all due respect to those who are bipolar...clearly the Dodgers are bipolar...

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

I've been watching quite a few of their games in the streak and they're looking pretty solid. They look a pretty respectable team and the wins are coming from good play rather than lucky breaks. To be honest, it's more surprising to me that this team lost eight on the trot.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well Ill, I did a little writeup about the dodgers yesterday and posted it on the main forum.
    I copy/pasted it here to get a bit more input from you guys...

Are the Dodgers for real? Absolutely...
    I think is the best chance they've had to bring a WS to Chavez Ravine since.... well since... Jack Buck's famous I cant believe what I just saw quote...
    I know Kirk Gibson and Orel Hersheiser are nowhere to be found in the Dodgers clubhouse but this Dodger team might just be better than any of Tommy Lasorda's teams.
    They certainly have been for the last 10 games...

Here's 6 reasons why the Dodgers will win the NL West and have a good chance of winning the NL pennant...

1) Starting pitching: Last week we were discussing if either the Mets or the Cardinals had a dominant pitching staff. Some of you even mentioned the Astros. I think the Dodgers staff might just be the best in the NL. Penny, Hendrickson, Lowe... Maddux... Sele. I think they have what it takes to win some playoff games.

2) Schedule: Non of the teams in the NL West have good pitching staffs, besides maybe Colorado. I think they will beat up on their division and win it easily.

3)Bullpen: One of the guys mentioned above (probably Sele) will strenghten an already strong bullpen. In Gagne's absence Saito, Broxton, and Beimel have picked up the slack. Elmer Dessens could take over a long relief role too when he gets back.

4)Speed: Furcal and Lofton give this lineup some speed at the top and bottom which could make things happen and give the power bats behind them some RBI opportunities.

5) Their lineup is amazingly solid from top to bottom giving coach Little some options and possible convinations.
    This is my guess of what it will look like if everyone stays healthy.

Furcal
    Lugo
    Garciaparra
    Kent
    Drew
    Betemit
    Martin
    Lofton

Ethier would be the odd man out here but it could also be Betemit, Lofton or Lugo.

6) Anyway Little goes he will have some pop out of the bench with Olmedo Saenz, Matt Kemp, Cruz... etc.

I like the Dodgers and I will definitely be rooting for them come the playoffs, specially for Maddux and Furcal.

I dont think any NL team wants to face the Dodgers in October since they are capable of beating both NY and STL.
    Cant wait...

Comments and disagreements are welcome as usual...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

this dodgers team reminds me of that AZ team a few years back.

AZ was like 6 or 7 games back then went on like an 11 or 12 game winning streak to tie the wild card leader, then went right back into the tank. I can see the same thing happen to the dodgers that happened to the d'backs that year.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very nice writeup dog. This Dodgers streak will end tonight. I just hope the Rockies bats show up tonight.

Dr.Phil
    Dr.Phil's Avatar Become A Pro!

dodgers wont even make playoffs

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Maddux is a good fit for LA, the ball doesn't carry well in the evening at Chaven Ravine and home runs (in my opinion) has been what has done Maddux in the past couple of years. I don't know if he is slated for Sunday afternoon or not, but will be interesting to see how he throws during the day when the ball carries better.

Julio Lugo on your bench? Things are going right when you don't have plans to play a guy of his quality and you have won 11 straight.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Phil
    dodgers wont even make playoffs

I think this would be a nice prop...
    Will the Dodgers make the playoffs?

Yes -200
    No +180

Am I way off? What book is offering a future on division winners?

I do hope they lose today by the way!!