bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can Detroit break the all time wins record ?

this years tiger team does remind me of the seattle team a few years back when they almost broke that 117 wins in a season record. i think they might have a very legit shot at breaking that record this year.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

No. They won't even try. Last I checked Jim Leyland is no idiot.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    ...i think they might have a very legit shot at breaking that record this year.
    You really think they have a legit chance to go 42-8 (win% of .840) to finish the season when they already have a 10-game lead over the White Sox and their current win% is .679?

How much would you like to wager?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

I dont think so Dan.

They still have 10 games with the White Sox (6 of them in Chicago). A 3 game series with both Boston and New York, both series on the road. Not to mention games against Minnesota, Texas, and LA Angels.

Thats a pretty tough schedule for them to break that all time wins record.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think they will go around .500 the rest of the way.
    Besides the last 10 days of September in which they face KC twice they have one of the toughest schedules in all of BB.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker

They still have 10 games with the White Sox (6 of them in Chicago).

correct me if i'm wrong looker, but didn't the twins just sweep the white sox the last series they played in chi-town ?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    correct me if i'm wrong looker, but didn't the twins just sweep the white sox the last series they played in chi-town ?
    Even if they did. Im sure the Tigers wont sweep the 10 games in Chicago. Their remaining schedule is not "record breaking" friendly.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would say they fall short if all 50 games were against KC

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Detroit has barely won 1/3 of their games against LAA/CHW/NYY/Bos. They won't come close to the record.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    I would say they fall short if all 50 games were against KC
    Now they need to go 42-7. I would say they would fall short even if they had the rest of their games against the 2003 Detroit Tigers.

isetcap

Detroit Tigers management just called and requested that Dan does not say anything about the Tigers for the rest of the season.

Since he mentioned that they might be able to go 42-8 to set the record for wins in a season, they have promptly forgotten how to win even a single game.

What if they don't even finish .500 for the season? What if they don't win another game the rest of the year?

As for the record, they only need to go 42-3 now. That could be tough.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    Detroit Tigers management just called and requested that Dan does not say anything about the Tigers for the rest of the season.

Since he mentioned that they might be able to go 42-8 to set the record for wins in a season, they have promptly forgotten how to win even a single game.

What if they don't even finish .500 for the season? What if they don't win another game the rest of the year?

As for the record, they only need to go 42-3 now. That could be tough.
    Come on cap, it can be done. The Tigers lead in the central has also shrunk in that timeframe from 10 to 5.5 games. Detroit also faces Boston this week (one of those teams they have a .333 win percentage against this year) while Chicago gets Kansas City for four games at home. The central should really tighten up this week.

diamond
    diamond's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just followed baseball for some years, got hooked by this sport Europeans love soccer you know..

Anyway, its just incredible to see this Tigres teams now..what a feeling it must be around the clubhouse at the moment..its not many years since they were the laughing stock and losing 100 games a season.

So what do you guys believe was the major reason for this change?

isetcap

Now Detroit can really attack this record. I'm confident they can go 39-0 to finish out the season with 118 wins.

jesterson
    jesterson's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, especailly not with Polanco out.

isetcap

They came up just a little short.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

i thought I'd resurrect this thread since it's so damn funny. bigboydan, what were you smokin' when you created this thread?

isetcap

I still think they make it as the wildcard. Chicago is about to put the clamps on the division. The Tigers got a big break on Liriano's 28th pitch yesterday and they will hold on just enough to slide into the postseason where they will be unceremoniously handled by the Yankees.

I'm with CJ in thinking that Dan was probably hitting the sauce when he stated the Tigers, "...have a very legit shot at breaking that record this year."