Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Could John Maine be the Mets #3 come October??

There has been a lot of talk about the Mets needing another starter behind Pedro and Glavine to really be competitive in the playoffs.
    During the trading season it seemed like the Mets got more headlines than any other team. Rodrigo Lopez, Barry Zito, Paul Byrd, Livan Hernandez... all were supposed to go to Queens.

Nevertheless, the deadline came and went and the Mets didnt get another starter. Hernandez was traded to the D-backs today and that ends the rumors of him joining his half-brother El Duque in the Mets staff.

But yet, the Mets' John Maine won again yesterday and has a streak of 23 scoreless innings going.

Traschel is a mess, that's nothing new, do you think Randolph could have his newfound ace start game 3 or is he fighting El Duque for the No 4 spot??

The guy can pitch!!

jesterson
    jesterson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here's my take:

Maine is the #3 guy...El Duque eventually moves to the pen, and he comes in to cover Pedro and/or Glavine in games 1 & 2.
    Then, in game 4, he relieves Pedro (pitching on 3 days rest) in the 5th inning or so. That's how it's looking at this point, with Trachsel being the "other" long guy out of the pen (scary for that creature of habit) or maybe even starting game 4 if the Mets are up 2-1, 3-0, with El Duque's role the same.

I'll tell ya, Maine looked quite good last night, throwing strikes, though he lost his release point in the 5th and 6th, but worked out of it. He just may be the man to beat Mr. Marquis, Bulldog...hehe. And, I didn't know Reyes could hit a ball that far!!

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

if Maine keeps pitching the way he's pitching, he should get that 3rd spot.