onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Red Sox set to aquire Javy Lopez

Looks like the Red Sox are going to get their catching help, with Jason Varitek going off for surgery. If the Red Sox get the Javy Lopez of a few years ago, they will have a solid bat back in the lineup.

Report: Red Sox set to acquire catcher Javy Lopez

ESPN.com news services

Looking for help at catcher following the injury to captain Jason Varitek, the Red Sox are set to acquire veteran Javy Lopez from the Baltimore Orioles, ESPN Radio in Boston is reporting.

While talks are moving forward and a deal could be in place as soon as Friday, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports that this is not a done deal.

Lopez has been upset over the lack of playing time he was receiving in Baltimore and asked for his release. The 35-year-old Lopez is hitting .265 with eight HR and 31 RBI.

Varitek underwent arthroscopic surgery for a cartilage tear in his left knee on Thursday and is expected to be sidelined four to six weeks.

The surgery was performed at Massachusetts General Hospital by Red Sox medical director Dr. Thomas Gill, who said the procedure went as planned.

Varitek was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after injuring his knee rounding second base in the second inning of Monday's 9-8 victory over the Cleveland Indians.

Varitek, who had been on the disabled list just once in his first nine seasons, was playing in his 1,000th career game as a catcher Monday. The switch hitter is batting .243 with 11 homers and 50 RBI.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

his contract isn't too pertty so he should clear waivers.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Good timing, with the Yankees % points ahead, otherwise I could see the Yankees trying to claim him just so the Red Sox couldn't.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Haha, what a lame move. You can have him.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think it would be a good pickup for Boston. He bats into a lot of double plays and he's slow but he's definitely an upgrade over Mirabeli or whats his name playing today...
    He could provide some protection in the lineup por Lowell or Willy Mo or whoever bats in front of him. They'll get better pitches imo...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

he always seems gets injured, and just can't hit like he use to during the roid years.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

He's having an off year, but he sure is better than Mirabeli. This would be a very nice move for Boston if it goes through.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    He's having an off year, but he sure is better than Mirabeli. This would be a very nice move for Boston if it goes through.
    Oh please. Mirabelli is one of the best catchers in the game. Lopez is one of the worst. Lopez has been historically a better hitter, but not anytime in the recent past.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Oh please. Mirabelli is one of the best catchers in the game. Lopez is one of the worst. Lopez has been historically a better hitter, but not anytime in the recent past.
    I know he is better defensivly and at calling games, I should been more clear about that. My point was that Lopez is the better hitter even though his numbers have fallen off ever since that banner year he had in Atalnta a few years ago.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Are you saying you would take Mirabelli over Lopez... The guy is hitting .180!!! The only reason he's even in the majors is because he can catch Wakefield. Lopez, at least the Lopez I remember called good games (of course he caught Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz in their prime) and had a really good arm...
    But I'd say even if he lost something its definitely an upgrade.
    I mean Mirabelli makes Eddie Perez look like Johnny Bench!!

Illusion

The deal is done

BALTIMORE -- Javy Lopez was traded from the Baltimore Orioles to Boston on Friday, a deal that gives the former All-Star another chance to play and provides the Red Sox a replacement for injured catcher Jason Varitek.

The Orioles sent Lopez and cash to the Red Sox for a player to be named.

ESPN's Duke Castiglione reported Friday that the player to be named is Red Sox outfielder Adam Stern.

However, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays may place a waiver claim on Stern, effectively blocking him from going to Baltimore this season. If a claim is made, the Orioles would get Stern after the season.

Varitek had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Thursday and was expected to immediately begin rehabilitation. The Red Sox have not indicated when their captain might return.

The Red Sox lead the wild-care race and are competing with the New York Yankees for the AL East title. Baltimore is out of contention and didn't have much need for Lopez because Ramon Hernandez is their starting catcher and Jay Gibbons serves as the designated hitter.

"Javy is ecstatic about the opportunity to be a catcher again. That's been the most frustrating thing for him about being in Baltimore," said Lopez's agent, Chuck Berry.

Lopez hoped to be dealt before the non-waiver trade deadline Monday. He then passed through waivers before being traded to Boston.

"This is perfect for him: He gets to play with a team battling for first place and at Fenway Park, which has all that history," Berry said. "It should be a great ballpark for him to hit in, too."

At 35, Lopez is in the final season of a $22.5 million, three-year contract he signed as a free agent with the Orioles in December 2003. He got that deal after hitting .328 with 43 home runs and 109 RBI for Atlanta, his third All-Star season for the Braves.

Lopez is hitting .265 with eight home runs and 31 RBI in 279 at-bats. He has caught in only 21 of the Orioles' 109 games as a backup to Hernandez.

"I've got no position on this team. I don't see why they really need me," Lopez said this week. "I'm not meant to play once a week. ... I cannot be happy in this situation. They probably have their plan, and I don't think they're going to keep me like this until the end of the season. They're probably going to do something sooner or later."

It happened Friday.

"We've been looking all year long for a place where Javy could catch," Berry said. "To its credit, Baltimore worked with us on that."

The Orioles signed free-agent catcher Chris Widger to replace Lopez on the roster. Widger began the season with the Chicago White Sox and batted .184 with one home run and seven RBI in 27 games before being released Tuesday.

He has played parts of 10 seasons in the majors, batting .239 with 55 homers and 220 RBI in 604 games.

Razz

Bwahaha, this is working out well. 0-4 Friday, 0-5 Saturday including hitting into a game-ending double play when he was the potential go-ahead run.